Breastfeeding

Mastitis?

I am exclusively pumping...I have a little red, tender spot in my inner breast. It isn't very close to the nipple. It does hurt though. I'm still pumping the same amount. Today I've been kind of achy, like I'm getting sick. Should I be worried and call in the morning? Should I call my family doctor or my OB? Or my LC?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Mastitis?

• eb1113eb1113 member
    Call your OB. When DD was almost 5 months, I had a day where I felt miserable. I had a fever, chills, and just all around awful. The next day I saw a small reddish spot on one breast. I was talking with my SIL and she thought it could be mastitis. I called the OB and they called in the prescription for me, I didn't even need to go in.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Still waiting for a call back from my OB. It's been 2 hours since I called. Boo.
  • Loading the player...
  • The same I would say. Still no fever. They should be calling a prescription in for me soon. I was told to take probiotics after....
  • I am in the same boat. Went to OB found out I have Galatacele milk duct cysts. I have a fever as well. Doc gave me antibiotic to be on the safe side. He told me to do heat compress and keep nursing. I am ok to take Tylenol to reduce fever. It seems this will last several days to a week. Does anyone know how you get clogged or cyst like that? I really don't want to get it again.
  • I am in the same boat. Went to OB found out I have Galatacele milk duct cysts. I have a fever as well. Doc gave me antibiotic to be on the safe side. He told me to do heat compress and keep nursing. I am ok to take Tylenol to reduce fever. It seems this will last several days to a week. Does anyone know how you get clogged or cyst like that? I really don't want to get it again.

How did he determine that? Did the OB aspirate from the area? I just ask because I myself had a breast abscess and that had to be diagnosed with a an aspiration and a culture.
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • Ceefome said:

I am in the same boat. Went to OB found out I have Galatacele milk duct cysts. I have a fever as well. Doc gave me antibiotic to be on the safe side. He told me to do heat compress and keep nursing. I am ok to take Tylenol to reduce fever. It seems this will last several days to a week. Does anyone know how you get clogged or cyst like that? I really don't want to get it again.

How did he determine that? Did the OB aspirate from the area? I just ask because I myself had a breast abscess and that had to be diagnosed with a an aspiration and a culture.
    I am waiting for results for this. My breast was drained Sunday and I see the surgeon tomorrow. He said its either a Galatacele milk duct cyst or an abscess. So painful. It's been 3 weeks now. I was supposed to get results Tuesday but nothing yet.
  • Ceefome said:

I am in the same boat. Went to OB found out I have Galatacele milk duct cysts. I have a fever as well. Doc gave me antibiotic to be on the safe side. He told me to do heat compress and keep nursing. I am ok to take Tylenol to reduce fever. It seems this will last several days to a week. Does anyone know how you get clogged or cyst like that? I really don't want to get it again.

I am waiting for results for this. My breast was drained Sunday and I see the surgeon tomorrow. He said its either a Galatacele milk duct cyst or an abscess. So painful. It's been 3 weeks now. I was supposed to get results Tuesday but nothing yet.
    I hope no news is good news, but I'd be frustrated, especially being in pain. I wound up needing surgery for my abscess. I was never in pain, but it was a good size abscess, almost 3 inches in diameter. I had my final follow up with the surgeon today.
    "Little seahorse/Floating on a primal tide/Quickening like a/Spark in a haystack side/I already love you/And I don't even know who you are" -Bruce Cockburn BabyFetus TickerLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BOOKWORMS and BUTTERFLIES
  • Ceefome said:

That's great that you were able to get it drained. I had an abscess last Summer and kept thinking it was a clogged duct (I didn't realize my pain was far worse than a clogged duct). It ended up popping on its own after having an antibiotic IV... My breast had a hole that went to the milk ducts and was leaking milk for a week after the fact, making it hard to heal. Next time I plan to seek immediate treatment. I had no idea what to do at the time.

On the bright side, 14 months later I am nursing exclusively on the breast that gave me problems.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"