Parenting

What do you think this is?

DD has issues with listening, I have posted about this before.  But she also has issues with playing alone and being alone.  I didn't think anything of it until here lately I started noticing that she doesn't like to play alone even at the park.  She will find someone her age and cling to them, like completely follow them around.  She will be 5 in November but still she is still extremely hyper and does not want to be alone, and doesn't behave when she is alone (Like I can't trust her even long enough to shower).  She also has a really bad temper.  She gets mad and stomps her feet and hits herself.  She has no developmental delays and has always met milestones either early or on time.  She has no speech issues and she is very smart.  But she also has a very short attention span.  It's hard for me to deal with because one minute she is the sweetest child on earth and behaving completely normal and the next minute she is stomping and screaming and hitting herself.  I don't know what to do for her or if something is wrong with her.  Before now I thought it was just because she has been through a lot (her dad and I divorcing and a lot of other stuff).  And maybe I have been in denial.  But the older she gets the more I worry.   Her doctor has never expressed any concerns, but I guess he might need to know more details, we will be discussing this at her 5 year check up.  Anybody have any theories on what this is?  Or theories on the situation?  I will always love her the same no matter what it is, I just want so bad to be able to help her and I don't know how.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: What do you think this is?

• DS does the whole not playing alone thing at home or even at the park. I think that is more related to his age (2.5) but I know it can be frustrating. I go out of my way to take him to fun places and then he's clinging to me refusing to explore. 

Does she tell you that she's mad? Or what's upsetting her? LOs have such a hard time controlling their emotions...

I don't have any advice other than just talk to her doc about it. 

SEAHAWKS! And... Macklemore. Seattle's WINNING! 
  • I'm sorry. I am no help but I just want to say that I am sorry you are struggling but I think it is good that you are noticing things and planning on talking to her doctor. It might be a good idea to try therapy with her to help with the divorce and other things and teach her to cope with being alone and whatever iscausing her to hit herself. Good luck!

Our Little Raspberry Born 3/27/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Anxiety? She has figured out that by misbehaving you will not leave her alone. I would start a little behavior calendar and take notes on when these episodes happen. Include time of day and any other things that could contribute to the behavior. When you meet with the pedi you will be armed with a concrete list of the concerning behaviors and possible triggers.
    WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• DD has issues with listening, I have posted about this before.  But she also has issues with playing alone and being alone.  I didn't think anything of it until here lately I started noticing that she doesn't like to play alone even at the park.  She will find someone her age and cling to them, like completely follow them around.  She will be 5 in November but still she is still extremely hyper and does not want to be alone, and doesn't behave when she is alone (Like I can't trust her even long enough to shower).  She also has a really bad temper.  She gets mad and stomps her feet and hits herself.  She has no developmental delays and has always met milestones either early or on time.  She has no speech issues and she is very smart.  But she also has a very short attention span.  It's hard for me to deal with because one minute she is the sweetest child on earth and behaving completely normal and the next minute she is stomping and screaming and hitting herself.  I don't know what to do for her or if something is wrong with her.  Before now I thought it was just because she has been through a lot (her dad and I divorcing and a lot of other stuff).  And maybe I have been in denial.  But the older she gets the more I worry.   Her doctor has never expressed any concerns, but I guess he might need to know more details, we will be discussing this at her 5 year check up.  Anybody have any theories on what this is?  Or theories on the situation?  I will always love her the same no matter what it is, I just want so bad to be able to help her and I don't know how.
  • fredalina said:
    She's a spirited, extroverted 4 year old?
    I would love if that is all it is.  If she didn't have such a bad temper and hit herself I don't even think that I would be worried.
  • fredalina said:
    Definitely talk to the doc, but she just sounds like she has a little separation anxiety along with being bright and spirited. Four is HARD. Really hard. Add in the changes with your divorce and some separation issues sound pretty normal to me under the circumstances. She may even have figured out that if she misbehaves when you leave her alone, you'll stop leaving her alone.
    Thanks for taking the time to read my posts and reply.  It's really nice to have other peoples input, makes me worry a little less.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"