3rd Trimester

part-time bed rest..

After seeing my doctor three times in less than a week, I am officially on "part-time bed rest." 
My hours have been cut from 80+ hours in a two week period to no more that 48 hours in a two week period. 
I am 30 weeks, and was hoping to work my normal hours through out my entire pregnancy. 

But my job has become extremely stressful, to the point where the baby was under stress and he comes before anything.  
But now the stress of less hours, less money, and my work is refusing to pay me vacation time that i've earned for maternity leave. 
(I've contacted a lawyer, and discussed the situation and fighting it wouldn't be worth the lawyer fees etc..) 

Anyone else on bed-rest or "part-time" bed rest as I like to call it. 
Anything suggestions on how to keep from going stir-crazy?! 
heather.ann

Re: part-time bed rest..

• I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions, I'm just trying to take it day by day.  The lack of pay is definitely irritating and trying to keep yourself occupid is hard.  I have never watched so much DIY television in my life but it's the only thing I can find during the day that is even remotely interesting.  Netflix is filling the gaps at least.

BFP #1 09/15/09, MMC 09/28/09
    BFP #2 06/04/12, EDD 02/09/13, MC at 6w3d on 06/18/12
    BFP #3 01/16/13, EDD 10/04/13, Born 09/17/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I was on strict bed rest (had to stay on the couch or in bed, only allowed up to use the bathroom, get food and water) for 8w. I watched tv, played video games, read, did puzzles.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • Reading and my DVR are helping me. Going into the office some in addition to doctors appointments breaks things up some. I really haven't felt well so the extra time to rest has been appreciated. I try to remind myself that this is such a small snapshot in a life time. GL!! You can do it!!
  • I've been on home/hospital bed rest since week 19 and I'm 31 now. You should check out the high risk pregnancy board. There are a lot of women on bed rest who post daily and there is a daily bed rest check in thread.
    The worst part is definitely the lack of pay and ability to prepare for the baby. Just take it one day at a time and know that you're doing the best thing for your baby. You can do it!
  • I've been on home/part-time bed rest since week 24 due to PTL. The first few weeks were definitely emotional with experiencing such an instant transition wasn't easy. Try to give yourself 1 thing each week to be excited about (i.e. baby shower, a friend bringing over lunch or a milestone in the pregnancy). Re: $, I really don't have any advice as i'm still waiting on state disability and 6 wks of no pay has hurt us... I guess one thing that helps is cooking a lot at home and knowing we are saving $ on gas without my commute, coffees, lunches out, etc. 
    You have to keep reminding yourself that the baby is priority and you need to try to enjoy the time to rest - it is so powerful and you won't get it back. Good luck! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was knocked down to 4hrs of "work" per day 6 weeks ago.  Back then, I was annoyed, but now I have seen improvments in my health and my son's so I can tell you that it is totally worth it. To keep busy while my feet are up, I have been reading, making to-do lists for my DH and MIL (they are helping out a ton!), and I got sucked in to Pinterest on my smart phone.

I'm sorry to hear about the maternity leave legal issues.  I don't have any experience with that.  My boss has been very understanding during this time of bed rest.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I lost my job, right after sharing I was pregnant. Making bank. It was a blessing because I traveled 60-70 hours a week, and shortly after leaving ended up being told to "go home and put your feet up. Oh, and don't bother looking for another job". Talk about bored. Food network. That's pretty much it. Downloaded a few games on the iPad. I'd kill to live closer to town and be able to just sit in the park! Money is a huge burden on my shoulders. My husband makes the same as I was making, and he swears we're fine... But I think he's allowing himself to hold all the stress. Bed rest sucks!!!! But... My son is safe and healthy. I just keep that in mind.
  • I was on strict bed rest, including 8+ weeks in the hospital, from 21-35w. It's not fun, but worth it.
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I feel your dilemma I was put on bed rest just at 18 weeks I'm going to be 30 weeks now, work decided not to pay so everything has been put on the hubby. Check out the High Risk Forum and we do bed rest check every day.

My favorite things to do is watch all the CSI shows and just nest. It gets boring sometimes but I've seen so much improvement, only 3 trips to the ER ever since and they didn't have to take the baby out early like they planned. It's all worth it in the end as long as your little one is healthy!
  • Thanks ladies- 
    It going on week two since I was put on part-time bed rest. Although boring at times, I have noticed an improvement in the way I feel especially not having to stress so much at work. 

My work hates it, and hasn't been the nicest which has helped me become more ok with leaving and going home to rest. 
    I do wish money grew on trees just to make up the difference in hours, but I know it's all for my baby boy and he's the most important. 

Coloring (crazy I know) has helped waste away time, and is relaxing as well. 

heather.ann
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"