Baby Showers

Purpose of a shower

I am from Europe where we don't have baby showers (or any showers) so the concept is new to me. What's the purpose of a baby shower? I have been to one and didn't care for it - it was really boring in my opinion and I was embarrassed by having to guess the size of the expectant mother's belly. It was a woman-only event and those who had no children (including me) were not really thrilled by the events. Are there are other ways to accomplish the same thing? I would really like something with both men and women, more of a party/ celebration...TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Purpose of a shower

• It sounds like the type of shower you went to in the past is a fairly traditional baby shower.  More recently, I think people are opting for a "couple's shower" that includes the father and male guests as well.  It just seems to be up to the preference of the mom and the person planning the shower.

We are having a couple's shower and I prefer that we don't play many of the games that I feel are ridiculous.  However, I've been to a few showers with some of those games and the guest of honor loves the games.  It just all seems to be so personal.  But my husband is an equal partner in this whole baby escapade and I think he deserves to be "showered" too!  :)

In my opinion the purpose of the shower is to gather friends/family together in advance to celebrate the soon-to-be mom/parents and support them with baby-related gifts.

If that is something you don't feel comfortable with, a lot of people skip the baby shower, and host a Meet the Baby party after the baby is born.  I think this is a great idea, but my guess is that you wouldn't get the same type of "necessity" gifts ahead of time (like car seat, stroller, bottles, diapers, etc.)

• The purpose of a shower is to celebrate a woman becoming a new mother, and celebrate the baby's life.

You can do a non-traditional shower that is co-ed, or opt for a "meet the baby" party after the baby is born.

• Loading the player...
  • The purpose is also to help the new mother get baby items, gift opening is a big part of most showers
  • Thank you! That's what I had assumed, but it seems somewhat materialistic to me to get people together to get gifts. We certainly don't need the gifts as we can afford the baby items ourselves...so maybe a co-ed party to celebrate both parents as pp suggested would be right. I don't feel that I need more celebration than my DH - we are both the parents, even though I get to carry the baby.
  • the #1 rule when it comes to baby showers:

you don't give one for yourself. ?showers are a gift, usually given by a family member (etiquette frowns upon this, though) or a close friend. ?the purpose is to "shower" the new mother with gifts for the baby.

you can throw a "meet the baby" party, which most attendees will bring gifts for, but it's not a requirement - and that's why it's okay for parents to plan those.?

• We will also be having a couples shower. Many of our closest friends are male and I also never really got into the whole traditional baby shower thing. We're due in June so my mom will be hosting a luau shower for us in early May with normal party games and food, very co-ed friendly...

• Personally I am of the "old school" and don't appreciate going to co-ed baby showers.  Most of the ones I've been too women talk about their own child birth experiences and the expectant mother asks questions, etc.  I have been to co-ed "meet the baby" parties.  They are almost the same as showers since most people bring the baby a gift.  At regular showers some people (women) bring things for the new mother herself (book, bubble bath, new nightie, etc).  They are a little different than bridal showers (which are probably close to 40% being co-ed) because of the nature of the discussions that go on.

We (my DD and I) just went to a baby shower for her friend.  The women stayed at the house and the men went to the bar.  lol

• sorry that i'm so late responding to this one ....I've been to 2 lunch/dinner "showers" at family style restaurants, obviously not the traditional "baby shower" you'd expect but still very nice and enjoyable, yes the host (usually the M and/or MIL) paid for the lunch/dinner and we were all in a nicely decorated separate room of the restaurant.  Both were co-ed.  I actually liked it, it was not boring (i've been to a few of those unfortunately) and quick.  No games, just good times with your family and friends. Most of the guests that came with gifts (were not asked to do so) were presented and opened at dessert time.  Plenty of pictures were taken and we all left with full bellies and a great memory.  Just my two cents if you're not into the "traditional" baby shower at home with all the games...
    image Nicholas Jacob born on 06/30/2009, 9.5lbs and 21 1/4" long Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Joshua Scott 5.3lbs & Jonathan Matthew 6.2lbs, born 08/31/10 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"