High-Risk Pregnancy

GD and baby shower

I am gonna be so jealous of everyone eating all the treats at my baby shower this weekend, cake and cookies and many more deserts. Has anyone asked their doctor if it was okay to cheat for one day and have a piece of cake and maybe a cookie? I know it will make my numbers crazy high but will this one time hurt my baby?

I haven't asked my doctor what he thought yet so I am just curious if anyone else brought this up.. I am seriously debating making myself a diabetic friendly type of desert to indulge in while everyone else eats my cake and treats.

Re: GD and baby shower

• Enjoy your cake. Seriously.
  • My shower was last weekend, and I had cupcakes for sure! My hostess made sure to also have lots of veggies, cheese, hummus, etc. so I ate that to help balance it. My numbers actually weren't high later... so I ate another cupcake!! lol  Enjoy! ;)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I am cautious, so I just have one bite of things. Usually I make dh eat the rest. At the showers, I just had one bite of cake.

Anniversary
    When you've been married this long, you need a ticker to remind you.

Baby Boy M - 08/01/2013 

Expecting Baby Bean February 2017
  • Lbear8Lbear8 member
    I didn't ask, I just indulged, although my GD numbers overall weren't bad and I was just monitoring via diet.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Cake + water + a small walk = joy

BFP 01/05/2013. EDD 09/18/2013. Low Progesterone. Gestational Diabetes. Rh Negative. Baby Ky-Mani born 100% healthy 09/17/2013. TTC#2 12/2013. BFP 02/01/2014! "Baby RaggaMuffin" due 10/07/2014.

• kerip5kerip5 member
    My dietician said to have the cake, but consider scraping the icing off and have some protein with it. Maybe your hostesses can make sure there are some higher protein options there for snacking as well?
    married 6.17.06
    daughter born 9.27.13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Thanks for the replies ladies, makes me feel a little bit better. I can always pack a little bag of peanuts to take with me to balance it hopefully! And scraping off the icing sounds like a good idea!
  • Mine approved of no sugar added ice cream. Numbers didn't go up. Not as great as the real deal but still hits the spot. :)
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was told it was okay to splurge on special occasions and was really looking forward to cupcakes at the shower thrown by my girlfriends. You can imagine how angry I was when I found out that the person in charge of desserts was told to ditch the cupcakes!  She brought ice cream and berries and it was delicious, but I was disappointed. 

If it's possible to go for a walk or some sort of activity during your shower- do that after you have your treat.  It helps a little to keep the blood sugar in check and more for any kind of guilt you might feel.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"