Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

D&C tmrw. Any advice?

Hello ladies. This is my second miscarriage but my last was a chemical so I didn't have to go through a D&C. Tomorrow I go in to remove some extra tissue. Anyone that has had one before have any advice? I know it's out patient but I'm a little fearful. Thank you all and God bless you as you are all going through a hard time.

Re: D&C tmrw. Any advice?

• Options
    I don't have any advice, but I will be thinking of you tomorrow. I go for my own on Thursday. Good luck to you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    **hugs**

I'm sorry you have to go through with this, but I can tell you that the procedure isn't all that bad.  I was extremely nervous of being put under that the day before I came home and pretty much just freaked out.  I think I maybe had a panic attack or something.  All I kept thinking was "I can't do this" and I said that even up to the point they were about to wheel me into the OR.  

I had to get to the hospital 2 hours early to check-in and prep.  Once they brought me back, they hooked me up to stuff and I sat in my sexy gown and watched tv with my husband.  The anesthesia guy came in and explained what would happen and the doc did as well.  They gave me something in my IV that made me feel a little loopy but still coherent.  I remember turning to my husband and said "I feel weird" and the nurse lady laughed.  Right after that they wheeled me down the hall and the last thing I remember was being asked to move from the cot to the operating table.  (I was really scared for this to happen - I was hoping I wouldn't have to see the OR, but since they gave me stuff in my IV, I was aware but didn't really care I guess)

The next thing I knew I was waking up in my room.  I went pee and it stung like hell.  I drank some soda and almost instantly felt good enough to go home.  The first day, peeing stung me really really badly but it stopped the next day.  I took off work the next day and just laid around and watched tv.  I experienced some minor cramping and no bleeding until 1 week after - then it was just brown spotting.  It took me awhile to feel back to "normal" and it took me even longer to get back into my exercise routine without feeling like death. Right now, I'm 6 weeks post-up and awaiting AF.  

I'm sorry for  your loss.  Please try not to worry about the procedure - it really is a piece of cake!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My d&c last Thursday was very easy. I was out for about 30 min, the procedure only took 10-15 min and I went home less than an hour after waking up. My advice is give yourself time to rest. I was surprised how long anesthesia knocks you on your butt for. Plan nothing but resting the day of, and take it easy the next day too. Also pick up some Metamucil. I almost never get constipated, but after my d&c I was. Metamucil had been my friend the past 3 days. Good luck and we'll be thinking of you.

BFP#2:  EDD 2/11/14, MMC confirmed 7/15/13 (growth stopped at 6 weeks), D&C @ 12 weeks 7/25/13

• Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I had an emergency d and c so the one silver lining to that was no worry or anticipation the day before. Otherwise, my experience was very similar to @mrsdeo and @kinipela7. I was tired and had a sore throat after but otherwise felt ok. It's a pretty easy procedure and recovery. I spotted for a few days and passed a few tiny clots not mostly just had some brown discharge for the next 2 weeks. Overall, it was the easiest part of the mc.

Good luck tomorrow. I hope your experience is as uneventful as ours were. Ill be thinking of you.

Pregnancy Ticker

BFP 5/19/2013. MC 7/2/2013 (9w6d) with est. loss at 8w. Miso 7/3/2013 and emergency D & C 7/6/2013.

BFP#2 11/6/2013.  CP 11/14/2013.  

BFP #3 12/13/2013.  Beta #1 @ 15dpo- 239. Progesterone 27.  Beta #2 @17dpo - 90.  CP 12/21/2013

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  -Philippians 4:6-7

All PgAL and PAL welcome.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    I'm so sorry for your losses ((hugs)).  I had a D&C after trying to mc naturally, but my body protested.  In the end, I'm actually happy I had the D&C because it was over relatively quickly.  I just had to follow specific instructions on what to do in terms of when to stop eating solid foods, monitor how much liquids I could have, and what types until 4 hours before the procedure.  The scariest part for me was waiting for the procedure to start but my H was there with me the whole time.  We brought our Kindle Fire so we could distract ourselves with anything and everything before the procedure.  As PP said, I remember going into the room, and then nothing until I woke up 30 minutes later.  It was fast, easy, and now I'm just waiting for AF to make an appearance before we can TTC again.  Again, so sorry for your losses, and I hope that everything goes just fine tomorrow. Keep reminding yourself that you're strong and brave!
    Began trying for a baby January 2012
    BFP 4.25.2013  EDD 1.3.2014  MMC 6.3.2013  D&C 6.19.2013
    BFP 11.3.2013  CP 11.6.2013
    BFP 3.31.2014 EDD 12.10.2014 Baby boy Carlson born 12.19.2014 
  • Options
    I will certainly be thinking of you tomorrow!  I agree with the PP.  They did a great job of summing it up. I was extremely nervous about getting a d&e but the procedure went smoothly.  My doctor was very understanding and spoke to me on five separate occasions during my short hospital time.  I verbalized my fear of getting nauseous with the anesthesiologist.  He put a patch behind my ear and told me he'd give me some good medicine to prevent it.  Miraculously, I woke up with no nausea.  I pray you have an uneventful day and you are able to heal physically.  Continue to take one day at a time.  It is okay to grieve.  It is all part of the process.  T&P headed your way! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"