PCOS and meds? — The Bump
Trouble TTC

PCOS and meds?

Hey, I'm new to this site but thought I would give it a chance to hopefully help relax my mind. A little background on me, I was very athletic and active and had very abnormal periods when I was a teenager with terrible cramps/acne/mood swings so I was put on BCP. I was married in October this past year and came off birth control at that time (12 years of BCP, normal periods while on it). Since then my periods have been abnormal with my last normal one in feb.I called the doc and had an u/s and bloodwork and was told I have PCOS. They put me on progesterone to have a period which worked but now what? We had briefly discussed the use of metformin and clomid but she will not consider putting me on anything until she gets my husbands sperm analysis back. Anyone have any information about one or both of those medications? Were the side effects (which I know can be different for everyone) worth it to help normalize ovulation and attempts at trying to conceive? I am trying to not think about it and just let things run their course but as you all know everyone has those 'helpful' suggestions and I can't help but cry and get emotional when I know we would make great parents. It's like I can't keep myself busy enough with doing other things to keep my mind from wandering to what I'm doing/or not doing to make it happen. Sigh, sorry for the rant.

**siggy warning**

Me: 30 dx w/PCOS 7/13

DH: 31
TTC 11/12
started Metformin 9/13
HSG, tubes open but narrow uterus... f/u with RE 3d u/s everything 'normal'
2/14: hopefully 1st IUI
... timing off before trip, waiting until 4/14
3/27: POAS= BFP!!!
3/28: beta#1: 108
4/2: beta#2: 799
4/11: u/s 6w1d EDD 12/4, 1 little penguin!

7/7:  We're having a girl!
12/11: after lots of labor/delivery/nicu excitment baby Piper Mae born 1859 @ 8lbs, 21.5"

Re: PCOS and meds?

• This sounds similair to my situation. I went off the pill after getting married and my periods were non existent. After about 6 months of that I finally pushed it at the doctor and was told I had insulin resistant PCOS and she described Metformin to regulate my cycle. I started on Metformin in July of 2011 and it regulated things almost instantly! No need for clomid. Once I was getting a regular cycle I started charting and within 2 cycles we were pregnant.

I have heard that some women experience tummy issues while on Metformin. I didnt really experience any of those symptoms and have just gone back on Metformin again after I was done breastfeeding. It really keeps my cycle in check. If I were you I would discuss your need to be regular with your doctor and have her/him at least give you a prescription for Metformin. Once you are regular and charting (if you choose to) and see that you are ovulating, its much easier to time it properly and it helps your chance of conceiving!!

GL to you and your DH!

Blessed with our beautiful girl May 30/2012 - BFP June 20th/2013 - Naturally MC June 30th/13.

BFP Aug 1/2013

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • thank you! I went to the doctor for what I thought was my follow up to discuss the labs and u/s and they were like 'no we need the SA first'... I cried the whole way home because this is such a frustrating process! They had told me when I came off BCP if I didn't have a period for 3 months and wasn't pregnant by a home test that I needed to come in right away... I'd get all excited I wasn't having my period and kept having negative urine preg tests which is very disappointing. Of course the clinic for the SA is booked solid and now I feel like we're in limbo waiting and wasting time. In any case they had said they didn't want to put me on meds yet because they might want to do other tests on me. Other tests might be costly and if metformin works as well as most people says it does I would just like to start there. If I don't get the answers I need from my docs office I am giving serious consideration to going to another office.

**siggy warning**

Me: 30 dx w/PCOS 7/13

DH: 31
    TTC 11/12
    started Metformin 9/13
    HSG, tubes open but narrow uterus... f/u with RE 3d u/s everything 'normal'
    2/14: hopefully 1st IUI
    ... timing off before trip, waiting until 4/14
    3/27: POAS= BFP!!!
    3/28: beta#1: 108
    4/2: beta#2: 799
    4/11: u/s 6w1d EDD 12/4, 1 little penguin!

7/7:  We're having a girl!
    12/11: after lots of labor/delivery/nicu excitment baby Piper Mae born 1859 @ 8lbs, 21.5"

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards