3rd Trimester
Options

Got my first "Are you sure you're not carrying twins?" comment

roo1ooroo1oo member
edited July 2013 in 3rd Trimester
My old neighbor who has never had kids herself said this to me last night. She hadn't seen me in awhile and when she did, she said "You're so big!" then gave me this look like I should be really concerned about my size and said "Are you sure you're not carrying twins?" I think it was the look she gave me that annoyed me the most, like I'm waaaay too big and would be a massive Jabba the Hut by the end even though I have 2 months to go. I think I look pretty good, thank you very much! Unfortunately I'm not the wittiest person so I didn't give her any kind of snappy comeback, just told her the doctors have confirmed there's only one.

I suspect this is only the beginning of the "you're getting so big" comments. It's probably payback for the two times I said that to my friend while she was pregnant, before I understood that pregnant women need to be told they look great, not the obvious. I swear, every pregnant woman I see in the future I'll tell her she looks great.
image    BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Got my first "Are you sure you're not carrying twins?" comment

• Options
    I have had a lot of people make comments about how big I am and how much I am showing, etc. and I usually just say "well I'm pretty short so all that weight and baby has to go somewhere, which is out!" and after a couple of comments I stopped being so nice in my responses :P
  • Options
    I have the opposite problem, nobody seems to even notice that I'm pregnant (My due date is 3 days away!)
    I waddle like it, but I guess if people don't see me walking, they just think I'm fat or something lol.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've noticed it's only people who haven't had kids who feel the need to remind me how HUGE I am.  It's the ones who've had some who are nice and say how small I look (which is a total lie but I love it!).  Next time I see a pregnant woman I'm going to pay it forward.
  • Options
    You shouldn't feel that bad. I got my first - are you sure it's not twins? - comment back in week 22! I didn't even think I was showing THAT bad! People asked if I was having the baby soon around week 25 - I started getting sarcastic around week 28. I'm almost on week 32 and I've given up by now. Sometimes I tell strangers I'm having multiples just for the fun of it. Then I ask if they want to buy one. ;-)  Good luck sweetheart! I'm sure you look beautiful!
  • Options
    I get people who ask if I'm about ready to pop. I say no 5 weeks left (which isn't even the standard 40 weeks... its the modified 38 weeks my doc gave me for my twins) and people respond with the following: (and I have included some funny pics to amuse you... and myself. I'm bored so :P)

OMG you're going to blow up before then...
     image < this is the face they get

Oh, are you sure you don't have two in there (I don't openly share that I'm having twins to avoid the probing rude questions) 
    Me: actually I do.
    Well, maybe a third is hiding!

or my personal favorite: You know "eating for two is just an expression right?" (note: I am on the LOW end of weight gain. I know I'm a big girl... but...)
    The two times anyone has said this to me, my husband stopped me shortly after the above face...
    Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • Options
    KesshoKessho member
    edited July 2013
    I have gotten the twins comment several times from clients since a month ago and I'm due early October. It actually annoys my manager more than me surprisingly. She gets upset for me, haha. I'm very average for my weight gained and doctors have not been worried one bit so I think nothing of it. Except when people say I'm about to pop then I might say something back. 

Oh yeah. My boss even tried to bribe me with cupcake if I tell someone who asks if I'm carrying twins to tell them I'm not pregnant. I am pretty tempted.

Just hang in there!  If they're smart they'll keep their mouths shut. 
    :)>-
  • Options
    roo1ooroo1oo member
    katiebenes, you made me laugh! 
    image    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I've gotten this twice. I was 125 lbs pre pregnancy and I've stopped looking at my weight, but my Dr isn't concerned so its pretty safe to say its within normal range. I'm all stomach, I haven't gained an inch anywhere else. So when I got those comments, I just looked at them blankly and asked them if they really thought I was THAT big. It made them uncomfortable.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've been getting that question for the past 2 months or so. Even my mom has asked!!! I'm mostly belly, so he is just sticking really far out. Even back in May, people would say I must be ready to "pop" and I would say "nope, not until mid-August", "Are you sure there's only one?" "Yes, we're sure". Every time it got more annoying to hear. Luckily, I've only got about 2 weeks left.
    Birthday Anniversary
  • Options
    Hahahaaa, welcome to the club!! I have been getting that comment since I was 4 months along. Just yesterday, my neighbor says to me, "Dang girl, how much longer? You sure are out there. You sure you going to hold up another 2 months?" Some other day in the grocery store some random guy walks in and past me and says, "Wow, so you eating for 2 or 3?"  The comments honestly do not bother me. My thought is, "What do they know?"  They do not know. Just as people, all pregnancies are different. Don't worry about people's comments...life goes on.
  • Options
    Well I am having twins and am 27 weeks today. So I constantly get the 'I bet you're due any day now' and 'oh wow I can't believe you still have 3 more months to go'! 

LOL so either way I don't think we can win. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    roo1oo said:
    katiebenes, you made me laugh! 
    Glad to bring a smile :)
    Kessho said:
    I have gotten the twins comment several times from clients since a month ago and I'm due early October. It actually annoys my manager more than me surprisingly. She gets upset for me, haha. I'm very average for my weight gained and doctors have not been worried one bit so I think nothing of it. Except when people say I'm about to pop then I might say something back. 

Oh yeah. My boss even tried to bribe me with cupcake if I tell someone who asks if I'm carrying twins to tell them I'm not pregnant. I am pretty tempted.

Just hang in there!  If they're smart they'll keep their mouths shut. 
    :)>-
    dooooo eeeet! I'd LOVE to hear about the aftermath!  
    Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"