Baby Showers
Options

do you need assigned seating?

For a baby shower at a restaurant with a sit-down lunch... Should you have placecards with assigned seating? TIA!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: do you need assigned seating?

• Options

I think it depends on the seating.

I had a really large baby shower (70+ attendees).  It was at a catering hall w/ sit down lunch and there were assigned tables. 

Is there one long table?  If yes, I would let people decide where to sit themselves.  If there are a few tables, I might do assigned tables so that there isn't one table with 12 people and another with 2 people.

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options

I think it depends on the seating.

I had a really large baby shower (70+ attendees).  It was at a catering hall w/ sit down lunch and there were assigned tables. 

Is there one long table?  If yes, I would let people decide where to sit themselves.  If there are a few tables, I might do assigned tables so that there isn't one table with 12 people and another with 2 people.

Thanks, that makes sense. I think around 50 people are attending and there are all different size tables. I think if it were smaller, it would be easy enough for everyone to find their own seat. But I feel like assigned seating will ensure everyone is pretty happy with their seats, instead of some people coming awkwardly early and finding a seat, trying to save seats, and then other stragglers having to sit near people they don't know... But had no idea what the "norm" is.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Eh, at a Baby shower I have never seen assigned seating. 
    Off BCP since 1/12
    TTC since 3/12
    High LH/FSH Ratio 8/12
    DX with PCOS 11/12
    Clomid 50mg - 19.5mm Follie - Trigger + TI = BFP! 11/12
    EDD August 11, 2013 
    DS Born August 14, 2013!

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    jencnhjencnh member
    Although I think it's weird for assigned seating at a baby shower, if you do this, only have assigned tables. Don't actually assign seats. They're not kindergarteners. They should be able to pick their own seat.
  • Options
    I haven't seen this at showers I have been to, even when there was 50ish women. They will naturally cluster in groups, but everyone is there to celebrate the baby and mom so I wouldn't imagine anyone should be throwing a fit about who they sit by.
  • Options
    CrispityCrispity member
    edited July 2013
    I've been to several restaurant showers with assigned tables (not actual seats). I don't think it's necessary, but I also don't think that there is anything wrong with it. If your hostesses want to do assigned tables, I think it's fine.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Cautiously expecting our second little petri dish baby - stick, Baby, stick!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I would be weirded out to go to a shower with assigned seating. Especially if I had to sit by people I didn't know. I agree with a PP, they're adults. They can figure out where to sit on their own.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I totally meant assigned tables, not individual assigned seats. Looks like it will be 50 women and it's from mine and DH's family - which is his mom's side, stepfather's side and stepmother, my girlfriends too, and I just want to make sure everyone gets to sit with people they know. My concern is some people will come a bit late and then actually be stuck without a seat by people they do know... I think my sister wants to do it, so we'll just do it. Thanks again!
  • Options
    If I were assigned a seat at a baby shower, I'd be annoyed.  However, I'd probably also be annoyed if I was one of 50+ guests.  I think that's excessive.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Options
    I see place cards all time at seated showers. Makes it easy.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Personally, I think assigned tables is a good idea, especially with a large party. Not only is it much more convenient, it is also likely that the guest will be able to sit with their family/relatives, and it makes them feel more comfortable in case there is any family drama/awkwardness. 
  • Options
    As long as thought is put into it and you're grouping women w/ the people they'd normally want to sit with anyhow - I don't see the big deal.

I have been to events where people try to cram around a table and take chairs from other tables, or you have those few people who don't really know anyone and they aren't sure where to sit...

Yes, when I go to an event where *I* know a ton of people, finding a seat isn't a big deal because I know a lot of people.  But when I'm the odd man out - it's kind of nice to have a little direction and I always assume that they are seating me w/ people who they feel I'll have something in common with/ will be friendly to me.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"