Pregnant after a Loss

Anyone have success with Chinese Medicine/Acupuncture?

Hi all! I'm wandering over from TTCAL to ask if any of you used Chinese medicine or acupuncture before moving over to PGAL?  Since my loss 9 months ago, my cycles have been irregular and longer and my skin has become a lot oiler and acne prone.  I have already started making dietary changes to start cutting out the amount of hormones and chemicals I am putting into my body, and have stumbled across various writings about Chinese medicine and acupuncture and how more people are using it to aid in conceiving.  Just wondering if any of you have experience with it?  If there is something funky going on with my hormones, I would like to solve the problem as naturally as possible rather than using drugs or what have you. TIA!

BFP #1 ended in MMC. Discovered Oct 2005 @10w5d, baby stopped growing around 6w. D&C.
BFP#2 Nov 2005. Baby's heart stopped @ 8w3d. D&C Jan 2006. Trisomy 18
BFP#3 Nov 2006. My "miracle baby" DD born 7/25/07
BFP #4 11/6/12. EDD 7/16/13~my birthday! No sac found @ 5w1d, betas not increasing. Natural m/c started 11/20/12.

BFP#5 11/9/13.  EDD 7/21/14  Our beautiful rainbow born on his due date!!

Re: Anyone have success with Chinese Medicine/Acupuncture?

• I used acupuncture to increase uterine blood flow and increase my endometrial lining before my embryo transfer. I worked with an acupuncturist recommended by my RE. It worked beautifully and by the day of my transfer, all was looking good! I will be 18 weeks tomorrow with a little boy :)
  • I used acupuncture during all 5 of my IVF cycles.  I got pregnant 3x, but sadly 2 ended in miscarriages.  I am currently 29 weeks pregnant from my 5th cycle.  Good luck!
    Me 35, DH 36
    TTC summer 2008
    Diagnose me. DOR, DH perfect
    IUI # 1 6/2010, BFN
    IUI # 2 8/2010, BFN
    IVF # 1 10/2010 Canceled poor response
    IVF 1.2 12/2010 BFP! mc 6 weeks 2 days
    Mental health break for 10 months
    IVF # 2 10/2011 BFN
    IVF # 3 5/2012 BFP! 10 eggs retrieved (best ever)
    7 fertilized transferred 3
    Beta #1 14dpo - 72, Beta #2 17dpo 145 Beta 3 20dpo 521
    First u/s June 15 saw HB 126 bpm missed m/c 7/5/12 10 weeks D&C 7/6/12
    IVF#4 ER 9/30 ET 10/3 Beta 10/16 BFFN. IVF #5 final with o/e. ER 1/21 only 1 retrieved, hoping my lonestar is the one. Beta #1 2/6/13 = 209.... please let this be it! Keep growing lonestar! Beta #2 2/8/13 - 586! , Beta #3 2/10/13 = 1898. First u/s perfect little heart beat at 116 bpm. Measure 6 weeks 1 day. EDD 10/14/13
    3/4/13 measuring right on track beautiful heartbeat 171 bpm, graduated from RE to OB... bittersweet.
    PAIF/SAIF always welcome! Its a girl! 

Maggie Grace is here!  10/5/13... 8lbs 6 ounces of pure joy!

TTC#2  No birth control since DD was born.  Getting ready to jump back in the saddle.  Weaning this month. RE
    appt scheduled 5/8.   Here we go again!

IFV# 6.  10/27  6 retrieved 4 mature 3 fertilized.  2 made it to 3dt 10/30. 1"very pretty 8 cell" and 1 6 cell.  Beta
    11/13.   Please stick embies!!!!  We love you so much already! 11/12/14  POAS, BFP... beta tomorrow!
    11/13 beta #1  924!!!  2nd bet 11/15 1906, one more on 11/17 3rd & final beta 3430.  First u/s 12/5, 7w4d, 2 heartbeats,
    both measuring right on track....2nd u/s... all is well... both beans measuring right on track... released from RE... first
    appointment with MFM 1/5.  Looks like this is really happening!

• Loading the player...
  • I used acupuncture for my fresh and frozen cycle and the cycles were unsuccessful. With that said, I loved the acupuncture for my anxiety. I was able to go off my anxiety meds and felt the same relief. I agree, the herbs were a no no from my RE, besides I was on enough hormonal meds! My third Ivf was without acupuncture and I got pregnant but miscarried. It was also my smallest lining and I had less eggs retrieved. I'll never know if it was because I did all 3 ivf's within 6 months and my body was just pushed to its limit or if the acupuncture helped the lining, like it claims to do with blood flow previously. I then got pregnant on my own days before starting meds for my 4th Ivf cycle but I was also back on my anxiety meds. This is my personal story but just wanted to share.

Of course check with your doc, whoever is monitoring you. Re's often recommend it for an Ivf cycle and have one on site or recommendation for one that works with infertility. But if you are not using an RE, I have read articles that state acupuncture does not do much for natural cycles, with that said, it helped me tremendously with my anxiety. I am debating going back as a ween off my anxiety meds now that I'm 14w.
    Good luck to you!!!

I'm 33 DH is 36 
    Married 6/27/2009 Together since 10/22/2005
    TTC since 8/2010 (off BCP since 8/2009) 
    Unexplained Infertility
    8/2011, 1/2012, 3/2012 IUI #1-3 BFN 
    6/2012 IVF#1 BFN, 8/2012 IVF#2 FET BFN, 11/2012 IVF#3 BFP
    12/10/2012 U/S #1 6w4d - heartbeat  EDD 8/1/13 
    12/26/2012 U/S #2 8w6d - No more heartbeat, MMC; D&C; Chromosome testing normal; male :( RPL testing normal 
    4/3/2013 DX Asherman's Syndrome caused by D&C, hysteroscopy done
    June 2013 IVF #4 planned 
    5/12/2013 SURPRISE BFP! Natural cycle 
    7/11/2013 Panorama results Normal!!! Team Pink, partial previa moved up in 2nd tri9/5/13 (19w) AS scan shows short cervix, 2.5 cm 9/19 (21w)  Cervix is worse 1.87cm, bed rest 10/26 & 10/27 steroid shots 12/19 (35w) DX: SGA Baby went from 57% percentile to 18th percentile in 6 weeks. Weekly BPP and NST until she is here. 1/17/18 Growth scan puts Abby below 10th percent in size, low amniotic fluid, and less movement. Time to induce!
    1/18/14 2:11am Abigial Morgan is here! 5lbs 14oz and 18 inches of pure cuteness!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hi Rosie, I am working with an OB still.  I need to go in for a check-up next month and at this time, I will bring it up to her.  I started taking EPO two cycles ago, and she was OK with that, though she said she didn't know that it had any fertility benefits. I know the Chinese herbs are much stronger, though.  My guess would be she may not be familiar with the Chinese Medicine so I guess I will have to see what she says. 

I am not really familiar with what a naturopath is...I guess I will have to look into this as well.

Thanks!

BFP #1 ended in MMC. Discovered Oct 2005 @10w5d, baby stopped growing around 6w. D&C.
    BFP #4 11/6/12. EDD 7/16/13~my birthday! No sac found @ 5w1d, betas not increasing. Natural m/c started 11/20/12.

• I used acupuncture for my fresh and frozen cycle and the cycles were unsuccessful. With that said, I loved the acupuncture for my anxiety. I was able to go off my anxiety meds and felt the same relief. I agree, the herbs were a no no from my RE, besides I was on enough hormonal meds! My third Ivf was without acupuncture and I got pregnant but miscarried. It was also my smallest lining and I had less eggs retrieved. I'll never know if it was because I did all 3 ivf's within 6 months and my body was just pushed to its limit or if the acupuncture helped the lining, like it claims to do with blood flow previously. I then got pregnant on my own days before starting meds for my 4th Ivf cycle but I was also back on my anxiety meds. This is my personal story but just wanted to share. Of course check with your doc, whoever is monitoring you. Re's often recommend it for an Ivf cycle and have one on site or recommendation for one that works with infertility. But if you are not using an RE, I have read articles that state acupuncture does not do much for natural cycles, with that said, it helped me tremendously with my anxiety. I am debating going back as a ween off my anxiety meds now that I'm 14w. Good luck to you!!!
    Thank you.  I am not yet using an RE, but I think it could be great for mental health purposes. My only concern is the OOP costs....

• I used acupuncture for several medicated cycles and didn't have any success. I've read that a lot of the benefit comes from the relaxation it creates and I never found it relaxing at all, in fact I found it very stressful so I stopped.

I did also change out all my personal care products to remove parabens and other endocrine disruptors. Try honest.com, I get a lot of their stuff and it's really great. I miss my make-up, I haven't found any 'natural' stuff that is really worth a darn so mostly I don't wear it anymore. The price we pay right? I also cut all soy out of my diet since that can be an endocrine disruptor also.

Good luck!!!
    **Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
    BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
    BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
    January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

• I never did acupuncture, even though it was recommended for me and available at the massage clinic I was going to.  I did do chiropractic care and massage therapy for my anxiety.  I don't know if it's why I got my BFP, but I suppose it couldn't have hurt.
    I have also seen that they have Chinese massage therapy, which I guess there are certain spots you can actually do yourself that will help fertility as well. 

• I used acupuncture for my fresh and frozen cycle and the cycles were unsuccessful. With that said, I loved the acupuncture for my anxiety. I was able to go off my anxiety meds and felt the same relief. I agree, the herbs were a no no from my RE, besides I was on enough hormonal meds! My third Ivf was without acupuncture and I got pregnant but miscarried. It was also my smallest lining and I had less eggs retrieved. I'll never know if it was because I did all 3 ivf's within 6 months and my body was just pushed to its limit or if the acupuncture helped the lining, like it claims to do with blood flow previously. I then got pregnant on my own days before starting meds for my 4th Ivf cycle but I was also back on my anxiety meds. This is my personal story but just wanted to share.

Of course check with your doc, whoever is monitoring you. Re's often recommend it for an Ivf cycle and have one on site or recommendation for one that works with infertility. But if you are not using an RE, I have read articles that state acupuncture does not do much for natural cycles, with that said, it helped me tremendously with my anxiety. I am debating going back as a ween off my anxiety meds now that I'm 14w.
    Good luck to you!!!

Thank you.  I am not yet using an RE, but I think it could be great for mental health purposes. My only concern is the OOP costs....

That was the tough part. It cost me 90 dollars a session. I did find one for 55 but he was pushing herbs. It is hard compared to my anxiety meds that are 30 dollars for a 90 day supply! For fertility it was recommended I go once a week between period and ovulation and twice a week between ovulation and period. Which is why I did it during Ivf cycles, but I started two months before my first Ivf. I don't know what the recommendation is for number of times to go for mental health.

I'm 33 DH is 36 
    Married 6/27/2009 Together since 10/22/2005
    TTC since 8/2010 (off BCP since 8/2009) 
    Unexplained Infertility
    8/2011, 1/2012, 3/2012 IUI #1-3 BFN 
    6/2012 IVF#1 BFN, 8/2012 IVF#2 FET BFN, 11/2012 IVF#3 BFP
    12/10/2012 U/S #1 6w4d - heartbeat  EDD 8/1/13 
    12/26/2012 U/S #2 8w6d - No more heartbeat, MMC; D&C; Chromosome testing normal; male :( RPL testing normal 
    4/3/2013 DX Asherman's Syndrome caused by D&C, hysteroscopy done
    June 2013 IVF #4 planned 
    5/12/2013 SURPRISE BFP! Natural cycle 
    7/11/2013 Panorama results Normal!!! Team Pink, partial previa moved up in 2nd tri9/5/13 (19w) AS scan shows short cervix, 2.5 cm 9/19 (21w)  Cervix is worse 1.87cm, bed rest 10/26 & 10/27 steroid shots 12/19 (35w) DX: SGA Baby went from 57% percentile to 18th percentile in 6 weeks. Weekly BPP and NST until she is here. 1/17/18 Growth scan puts Abby below 10th percent in size, low amniotic fluid, and less movement. Time to induce!
    1/18/14 2:11am Abigial Morgan is here! 5lbs 14oz and 18 inches of pure cuteness!!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• I used acupuncture for several medicated cycles and didn't have any success. I've read that a lot of the benefit comes from the relaxation it creates and I never found it relaxing at all, in fact I found it very stressful so I stopped.

I did also change out all my personal care products to remove parabens and other endocrine disruptors. Try honest.com, I get a lot of their stuff and it's really great. I miss my make-up, I haven't found any 'natural' stuff that is really worth a darn so mostly I don't wear it anymore. The price we pay right? I also cut all soy out of my diet since that can be an endocrine disruptor also.

Good luck!!!

So far I have changed my milk and am now buying all grass-fed beef, hormone/antibiotic-free/free-range chicken meat.  There are no a lot of places to buy organic fruits and vegetables around here, so I started cleaning them with vinegar and water. I actually saw the Honest products yesterday at Meijer for skin cleaning purposes, but it seemed like they still had a ton of ingredients in them, so I wasn't sure how good they were for the skin. I was also considering cutting soy out and seriously did not realize how much food has soy in it!

Now if only I could get my husband to stop drinking red bull and eating McDonalds. *sigh*

• I did acupuncture on and off for about 10 months. I got pg on several cycles with her, but they were all miscarriages (She did successfully get me to O sooner, but I didn't see her for this BFP cycle, which as an O at CD29 - I have no idea if there's any connection to that....). Mainly, She was/is incredibly knowledgeable about loss, and I landed up going to an RE she recommended for testing, and she was really my sounding board for my diagnosis and how to treat it.  She also REALLY helped in just generally relaxing me, and helping lift that that heavy 3 ton weight in my stomach that loss left. I would definitely recommend it, but it's not a magical cure-all.
    Married My Love on 6/18/2006
    BFP#1 10/1/2011. Our perfect little girl, Her heart stopped @ 12w1d. D&E 11/23/11
    BFP#2 3/13/12 Weird CP/Possible EP @ 6w0d
    BFP#3 5/28/12 CP @ 5w0d
    BFP/WTF#4 10/26/12 CP
    BFP#5 12/10/12 EDD 8/23/2013
    <3 Baby Boy Born 8/22/13 <3
     photo ellie.gifPhotobucket
  • MamaWombatMamaWombat member
    edited July 2013
    I had a phone consultation with an acupuncture fertility clinic in early May for much the same symptoms you describe (newly irregular cycles and acne). I didn't begin treatment because I was planning a lot of traveling in June and early July, and the acupuncturist recommended waiting because she said that best results are obtained when the course of treatment isn't interrupted. 

The clinic I talked to specialized in fertility and frequently worked with (and are recommended by) one of the main RE clinics here. They claimed to use only pregnancy-safe herbs, but they were also willing to work with patients unwilling or unable to take them. 

For irregular cycles, the acupuncturist recommended either six months of treatments once a week, or 3 months for twice a week. She told me that the effects are cumulative and you will see much faster results with treatments twice a week.  It was pretty expensive - $75/session + herbs. The other two acupuncturists I looked into would not give me any pricing over the phone, so I don't know how that compares to the norm. 

Good luck!

imageimage
    BFP #1 08/05/12. EDD 4/15/13 m/c 08/27/12
    BFP #2 06/05/13. EDD 2/16/2014 (Team Blue). Baby Wombat born 2/20/2014 7lb. 11oz and 20 in.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I had a phone consultation with an acupuncture fertility clinic in early May for much the same symptoms you describe (newly irregular cycles and acne). I didn't begin treatment because I was planning a lot of traveling in June and early July, and the acupuncturist recommended waiting because she said that best results are obtained when the course of treatment isn't interrupted. 

The clinic I talked to specialized in fertility and frequently worked with (and are recommended by) one of the main RE clinics here. They claimed to use only pregnancy-safe herbs, but they were also willing to work with patients unwilling or unable to take them. 

For irregular cycles, the acupuncturist recommended either six months of treatments once a week, or 3 months for twice a week. She told me that the effects are cumulative and you will see much faster results with treatments twice a week.  It was pretty expensive - $75/session + herbs. The other two acupuncturists I looked into would not give me any pricing over the phone, so I don't know how that compares to the norm. 

Good luck!

Actually that is a decent price.  I was looking at a list of prices from my in my area and some are as low as $60 but most are around $80, based on their years of experience. Some are even $120!!  Yeah quite the cost...I'm not really sure what an OB would use to regulate cycles though, other than going back on BCP which I obviously don't want to do.  I may have to switch to an RE after next month's appointment...after my last loss my OB said she didn't have a problem recommending me, but I didn't think I was going to have any issues with my cycles.  Of course, I was wrong!

• I did acupuncture for my first 2 ivf cycles to no avail. I got pg once on my own in that time but lost the baby. I stopped acupuncture for the next 2 ivf and 2 frozen cycles. 1 took but ended in m/c. I stopped fertility treatments and went back to acupuncture with a dr also trained in naturopathic medicine. I took some herbs and vitamins and also went gluten free- 6 weeks later I got this bfp. I am now 31.5 weeks pg with a healthy little girl. Good luck!!!
    4 IVF, 2 FET
    January 13, 2012- m/c 1
    September 12, 2012- m/c 2

MTHFR (2 copies C677T, +ANA)

Gluten free, dairy free, acupuncture
    1/13/13- BFP #3-
    1/14- 32 Progesterone 20
    1/16- 100 Progesterone 23
    1/22- 2054!! Progesterone 18.7 (On supplements since 1/16)

PLEASE be our sticky rainbow baby.. You have no idea how much you are loved already!!

BabyFruit Ticker
    pregnancy
    You gotta keep your head up. You can let your hair down. Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again!
  • I had a phone consultation with an acupuncture fertility clinic in early May for much the same symptoms you describe (newly irregular cycles and acne). I didn't begin treatment because I was planning a lot of traveling in June and early July, and the acupuncturist recommended waiting because she said that best results are obtained when the course of treatment isn't interrupted. 

Good luck!

Actually that is a decent price.  I was looking at a list of prices from my in my area and some are as low as $60 but most are around $80, based on their years of experience. Some are even $120!!  Yeah quite the cost...I'm not really sure what an OB would use to regulate cycles though, other than going back on BCP which I obviously don't want to do.  I may have to switch to an RE after next month's appointment...after my last loss my OB said she didn't have a problem recommending me, but I didn't think I was going to have any issues with my cycles.  Of course, I was wrong!
    I'm not sure if there is anything other than BCP that OB's prescribe to regulate cycles. The OB my midwife referred me to had zero interest in regulation - her only recommendation was to start clomid (which would make me O sooner, but obviously wasn't going to address any underlying imbalances that were screwing with my cycle). I didn't feel quite ready to progress to medicated cycles yet, which is why I started looking at acupuncture. 

I had also cut soy out of my diet back in January, and in March went on a low-glycemic index diet. These may (or may not) have contributed to the fact that I did start O'ing a bit sooner (around CD35) for my last two cycles. I feel like it had an effect, but the OB did not think that diet had/would have any impact. She was pretty skeptical across the board about anything except drugs (including charting). 
    imageimage
    BFP #1 08/05/12. EDD 4/15/13 m/c 08/27/12
    BFP #2 06/05/13. EDD 2/16/2014 (Team Blue). Baby Wombat born 2/20/2014 7lb. 11oz and 20 in.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Good luck!

I'm not sure if there is anything other than BCP that OB's prescribe to regulate cycles. The OB my midwife referred me to had zero interest in regulation - her only recommendation was to start clomid (which would make me O sooner, but obviously wasn't going to address any underlying imbalances that were screwing with my cycle). I didn't feel quite ready to progress to medicated cycles yet, which is why I started looking at acupuncture. 

I had also cut soy out of my diet back in January, and in March went on a low-glycemic index diet. These may (or may not) have contributed to the fact that I did start O'ing a bit sooner (around CD35) for my last two cycles. I feel like it had an effect, but the OB did not think that diet had/would have any impact. She was pretty skeptical across the board about anything except drugs (including charting). 
    Yes I am opposed to using drugs when I am already O'ing myself.  I have ovulated as early as CD 17, and as late as CD 29...that kind of leaves a big window open!

• I started acupuncture after my second miscarriage and during my RE work up. I found it helped me relax, but I never took the herbs due to my personal belief regarding herbal supplements and my RE didn't approve of them. I got pregnant after 3 months of working with RE and acupuncture, but I think the acupuncture mainly helped me relax. Good luck!
    TTC #1 Since Oct 2011
    BFP #1 4/29/12 m/c 5/18/12 at 6w2d
    BFP #2 8/28/12 EDD 5/10/13 MC 9/22/12 at 6w4d
    BFP #3 12/31/12 EDD 9/12/13

Me Dx: DOR   DH: all tests normal
    Our Pretty Little Nest Blog
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • FFwifey said:
    I have not used Chinese medicine, but I wanted to chime in anyways. I was having similar symptoms as you- acne, oily skin and hair etc- and really felt like my hormones were off since going off BCP. I started Vitex and after one month could see a difference. The second month I was definitely noticing a difference in my skin, hair and body overall, and I got pregnant. I would definitely try it and remember you may not notice a difference until up to 3 months so try it that long. I heard different things about when to take it- the second month I decided to take it the whole month long and I stopped when I got a BFP. I really think it helped. HTH!

What exactly is Vitex for? I have heard it mentioned from a few others as well...

• I used acupuncture and herbs the month I got pregnant with my DD.  My acupuncturist works with an RE (although I was not working with an RE) and stopped the herbs the minute I got a BFP.  I did get pregnant that month but I'm not sure if it had anything to do with the acupuncture/herbs or not, but it made me feel like I was at least doing something.  However, with this pregnancy I didn't do it.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    BFP #1 3/27/10 - mmc discovered 5/20/10 at 11w2d - d&c 5/21/10
    BFP #2 11/6/10 - EDD 7/19/11 - Beta #1 @ 13dpo, 104 - Beta #2 @ 20dpo, 3400s
    BFP #3 4/24/13 - EDD 1/8/14 - Beta #1 @ ?, 33 - Beta #2 @ 4 days later, 260
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had super wacky cycles after my miscarriage. I then started taking pregnitude and after 2 months got pregnant. The cycle I got pregnant in was a 35 day cycle which was the shortest I had since my miscarriage. Not sure if that's what did it. But it is suppose to help regulate you... never tried acupuncture tho.
    BFP #1 (7/13/12) MC (8/14) 9 weeks. D & C 8/17.
    BFP #2 (5/18/13) due 1/26/14. Grow baby grow!
    Its a surprise! Team green!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"