Natural Birth

Natural birth story (hospital, ob, previous epidural birth)

Everyone's birth stories on here were extremely helpful to me during my birth so I wanted to share my own story:

Background:  I had an epidural with baby #1 and pushed for 4 hours.  For baby #2 I wanted to attempt a natural birth in a hospital with my OB.

Birth story:  I had a regular OB appointment 2 days after my due date.  We discussed induction when I mentioned that I'd been having contractions all morning.  She hooked me up to a fetal monitor and confirmed that I was in labor and 3 1/2 centimeters dialated.  The decision was made to go ahead and admit me.  By the time they finished admitting me and my husband arrived I was already 5 centimeters (1:30 pm).  I labored in a rocking chair for about an hour and contractions really picked up.  My hospital offered intermitten monitoring and was extremely supportive of my natural birth goal.  Around 2:30 the pain was intense and I started to 2nd guess myself.  The nurse checked me, confirmed that I was at 8cm and encouraged me to keep going.  About 30 min later I went to the bathroom.  After that I had a contraction that caused me to fall down onto all fours.  My husband tried to get me off the floor but the contractions were more bareble in that position.  The nurse convinced me that I could stay in that position on the bed so I agreed to relocate.  At that point that rechecked (3:00) and I was still at 8 but 100% thinned out and the baby was at 0 station.  I was really feeling the urge to push and threw up and had a BM.  Then the nurse rechecked me (3:15) and I was 10cm.  She paged the dr. and I started to push.  My water was still intact at this point.  My OB arrived shortly after and broke the bag as I was pushing it out.   They let me push on all fours for 15 min and they had me turn over onto my back. They did this so the dr could massage the perinium and minimize tearing (I had a deep 3rd degree tear with baby #1).  I pushed for about 10 min and began to feel the ring of fire that they talk about.  Everyone was getting really excited so I knew that the baby was close.  5 min later (2-3 more pushes) and she was here!  Danielle Ann was born at 4:09pm.  30min of pushing and only a superficial 2nd degree tear.   I felt a million times better afterwards.  
Baby Slings at Nurtured Family BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Natural birth story (hospital, ob, previous epidural birth)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"