December 2010 Moms

Nap refusal

OK, J has been fighting or outright refusing his nap since Wednesday.  He took a 5-10 minute nap in the car on the way home from the zoo, but did not go back to sleep once he got home.  He went down really late Thursday, he's normally asleep between noon and 1, and he fell asleep at 3:45.  He didn't nap at daycare on Friday.  Yesterday he napped in the car for 20 minutes around 3:30.  Today, he has yet to nap.  His bedtime has not varied, his wakeup time hasn't really either except Saturday when he slept in an extra hour.

Any one else's kid dropping their naps?  Is this a phase, or are we going to have to deal with a sleep deprived kid in their terrible 2s?

Re: Nap refusal

• Avery hasn't napped consistently since turning 2. I used to push her in the stroller or use other tactics to get her to take a nap, but since having Charlotte I stopped fighting it. Now she'll fall asleep in the car once in a while, but she rarely takes a real nap. Fortunately, after a couple weeks without naps, we were able to get her to bed a bit earlier and now she doesn't get too cranky. Hopefully it's just a phase for J.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We go in phases with maps around here. He'll go a week with nothing and then we'll be back to 3 hr naps. Hopefully it's just a phase!
  • Loading the player...
  • I vote phase. We've been through several of these since she turned 2. It sucks for a week, but if we keep pushing the nap and being consistent with routine and timing, she'll come back around to it. I do think it's the start of dropping the nap... but not right away.
      norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He has random no-nap days, but we are just able to put him to bed earlier those nights without a fight - so that's the nice part!

But he definitely still needs the naps, 90% of the time he naps and it's a 2+ hour nap.

I'm not ready for him to drop naptime yet. Another vote that it's just a phase.

• DD fights naps everyday. I have had some luck if I lay down with her and tell her that if we lay down quietly of 15 minutes with our eyes closed then we can play again. I make a show of settting a timer on my phone and it works about 70percent of the time. The rest of the time she falls asleep in the car, or occasionally fall asleep watching tv.
    image  image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • keags5496 said:

We go in phases with maps around here. He'll go a week with nothing and then we'll be back to 3 hr naps. Hopefully it's just a phase!

This is what O does too.

imageimage
  • For a while now Griff has been skipping his daily nap.  It sucks.  But usually when he skips his nap he falls asleep at night a bit earlier.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
  • Yeah... we've been trying to put him down for his nap as per schedule, it just doesn't go anywhere.  He took a 5 minute nap in the car Wednesday, had a late 2 hour nap Thursday, no nap Friday, a 20 minute nap Saturday and crashed out at 5:30 Sunday evening, woke for 10 minutes at 9 and woke up at 6 AM.  That was one tired dude.
  • weve had two phases of this.  i stick to the nap.  i tell him its nap time for all of us, and if he doesnt want to sleep he can relax in his crib and read for the hour.  i do not give in.  hes always gone back to the nap within a couple of days.  he will nap anywhere from 2 to 3.5 hours.
    ive heard some kids give them up at 2, and some kids keep them until 5.  i am hoping we are in the 5 camp :)
  • I wish - Annabelle stopped napping on the reg over a year ago :( Now, she only naps when she's sick (and that's not even reliable) and in the car if we're coming home from something exhausting. She only slept 40 min during a 6-hr car trip to the OBX last week, even though we left at 2am!  I do still put her in her room every day for about 1.5 hrs of quiet time.

But my lamenting aside, back to your question :) Most of our playgroup kiddos have been dropping their nap around age 3, give or take.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"