May 2013 Moms
Options

How do you get the breastmilk out of the container?

When I go back to work, I'll need to prepare bottles ahead of time for LO. I'll be (hopefully) using the breast milk I pumped the day before for her. My question is, when it gets cold, the cream (fat?) in the milk sticks to the side of the pumping bottle and it doesn't come off unless I warm it up. But I don't want to warm it up unless I'm going to give it to her right then, right? So how will I get it all out of the pumping bottle and into the feeding bottle without warming it?
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: How do you get the breastmilk out of the container?

• Options
    I have found that if I just swish the bottle hard for a minute or two the fat comes loose without having to actually warm it up....

My little bug, Madeline. Born June 2, 2013.

• Options
    I just hold and rub it with my hands for about 30 seconds before transfering and it works pretty well.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I shake the bottles and it gets it off. Then let it settle for about 30 sec to let the bubbles settle
  • Options

I have found that if I just swish the bottle hard for a minute or two the fat comes loose without having to actually warm it up....

By swish do you mean shake? I have heard to never shake breast milk.
  • Options
    Trish625 said:

I just hold and rub it with my hands for about 30 seconds before transfering and it works pretty well.

This. Or swirl it gently. You're not supposed to shake breast milk.

• Options

This.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Trish625 said:

By swish do you mean shake? I have heard to never shake breast milk.
    No swirl is probably a better verb... Sort of like wine tasting, but with breast milk ;)

• Options
    Trish625 said:
    This also says freezing BM denatures it!
    :((
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
  • Options
    CNJ4EVA said:

Trish625 said:
    This also says freezing BM denatures it!
    :((
    Some recent studies have shown that breastmilk is far more resilient than experts used to think (eg, it can last longer stored, the nutrients remain almost all in tact, adding room temp milk to cold milk won't create a crazy bacteria mess, etc). I wish I remembered who sent me or where I saw that newer study. Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about freezing it! I figure it must retain a lot of the good stuff!

• Options
    I pump directly into the bottles for the next day, saves on dishes too!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I just give it a shake.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I just stick the whole bottle in a glass of hot water for a few minutes and then swirl. 
    She is here! 5-29-13

• Options
    motangmotang member
    If I'm transferring the milk to a bag for the freezer and i don't want to warm it, and swirling doesn't work, I use a rubber-tipped baby spoon and scrape the fat off the sides.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I have a Medala PISA, as far as I know, nothing exists that allows me to pump directly into the bottle easily. I'll try the warm tap water suggestion, I wasn't sure if heating it up a little bit when I wasn't going to serve it right away would create any kind of spoilage issue. I've tried the swirling, that doesn't seem to pull it off the sides. The spoon idea is a good one too! Thanks again!
  • Options
    Medela makes bottles that attach to the PISA. they're the only kind that my LO will use!
  • Options
    sarajim06 said:
    Medela makes bottles that attach to the PISA. they're the only kind that my LO will use!
    Oh that's right LOL- I do have some of those bottles! But LO hates them :( We are using tommee tippee and it's the 3rd bottle we tried before she took them thank goodness!
  • Options
    My Medela bags come with an adaptor so I can pump directly into them. Then warm the bags at time of serving to pour into bottles.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    MermaidNM said:
    My Medela bags come with an adaptor so I can pump directly into them. Then warm the bags at time of serving to pour into bottles.
    That's the problem, I can't warm them at the time of serving. I have to send the bottles ready to warm up at the daycare center. So I'll need to take what I pumped and put it into her bottles either the night before or the morning of daycare.
  • Options
    I pump into the bottles that come with the PISA.  And then immediately pour into the bottles that your DD will take.  Store in the fridge.  I keep the "oldest" ones in front and newer in back.  I usually have 2-3 in there, and they get used up before they expire.  Then you don't have to worry about the fat sticking to the bottles that you pumped in.  
  • Options
    I pump into the bottles that come with the PISA.  And then immediately pour into the bottles that your DD will take.  Store in the fridge.  I keep the "oldest" ones in front and newer in back.  I usually have 2-3 in there, and they get used up before they expire.  Then you don't have to worry about the fat sticking to the bottles that you pumped in.  
    That's a really good idea- except I'll be pumping at work and then bringing these home, but I guess I could just get 2x as many bottles so that I have one set to fill while I'm at work and one set to send to daycare. Another set of Tommee Tippees is equivalent to 1 weeks cost of formula- so I guess it's not a bad investment when I look at it that way.
  • Options
    I just run the bottle under warm water for a few seconds and then swirl it. That usually gets the fats off the walls without heating up the milk.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    That's a really good idea- except I'll be pumping at work and then bringing these home, but I guess I could just get 2x as many bottles so that I have one set to fill while I'm at work and one set to send to daycare. Another set of Tommee Tippees is equivalent to 1 weeks cost of formula- so I guess it's not a bad investment when I look at it that way.
    Yeah, I definitely think it's a good investment. We used to only have 3 bottles that we just rotated and it really sucked! Between the pump parts and the bottles, I felt like all we did all day was wash dishes! Now we have as many bottles as feedings per day, so I usually prep the bottles first thing in the morning, use them all day, and then just wash them all at once at the end of the day.
  • Options
    I just run the bottle under warm water for a few seconds and then swirl it. That usually gets the fats off the walls without heating up the milk.

You don't even need to do that. Leave the bottles out of the fridge for 2 or so minutes, and the fat comes off easily with swirling.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!!
  • Options
    Along those lines, how do you pour the thawed milk out of the freezer bags into the bottles without spilling everywhere? I use the Medela bags (the ones with the little things at the top that allow for direct pumping into the bag) and bottles and an trying out the Avent bottles too. I am thinking I could cut a corner to pour, but I'm not sure if that's the best idea. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Options
    Along those lines, how do you pour the thawed milk out of the freezer bags into the bottles without spilling everywhere? I use the Medela bags (the ones with the little things at the top that allow for direct pumping into the bag) and bottles and an trying out the Avent bottles too. I am thinking I could cut a corner to pour, but I'm not sure if that's the best idea. Any advice would be appreciated.
    I use the Lanisoh bags, and I just open up the ziploc thing and sorta tip a corner into the bottle and dump. I'm not sure if  the Medala bags are set up similarly?
  • Options

I use the Lanisoh bags, and I just open up the ziploc thing and sorta tip a corner into the bottle and dump. I'm not sure if  the Medala bags are set up similarly?

They are. I thought i would spill but actually just pouring out the corner has worked fine... No spillage in my medela bags yet!

• Options

They are. I thought i would spill but actually just pouring out the corner has worked fine... No spillage in my medela bags yet!

Thank you both. I will try it soon. FX that I don't make a huge mess!

• Options

You don't even need to do that. Leave the bottles out of the fridge for 2 or so minutes, and the fat comes off easily with swirling.
    Eh, running it under water works just as well and it's faster, IMO. With a screaming baby, 2 minutes feels a lot longer than it actually is :)
  • Options
    If you pump into the bags then you can just slightly squeeze the bags to get the fat off the sides. It's way easier than getting it off the bottles to transfer.

For pouring from bag to bottle I don't have a problem with spilling with the medela bags. Line the hole up over the bottle and just pour slowly. Or use the flanges of the pump as a funnel into the bottle. That's how I usually pour into the bags.

Also to whoever mentioned adapters, as an FYI the Dr Brown's will fit onto the medela pisa without any adapters.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions, I don't know what I'd do without you ladies!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"