Pregnant after a Loss
Options

WTH do betas even mean?

My knowledge of hcg levels is limited. I didn't get them with my last pregnancy which ended at 7.5 weeks as a mmc. I'm 4w4d and had my first beta on Monday and it was 400. Yesterday's was 915 so they obviously more than doubled in 48 hours.
My PgAL brain wants to know the significance of these numbers and if they mean I can relax in any way shape or form.

Re: WTH do betas even mean?

• Options
    I'm sort of glad I did them but I guess I don't understand why they are done except to possibly give you a tiny sigh of relief for a short time.
  • Options
    I'm sort of glad I did them but I guess I don't understand why they are done except to possibly give you a tiny sigh of relief for a short time.
    Relief, but also to help catch a miscarriage early.  For someone with a loss history and/or dealing with IF, they've probably been at it for a while.  A drop in betas could indicate an miscarriage early, say around 4-7 weeks, rather than making someone sit around wondering if everything is ok, only to have the standard doctor appointment/ultrasound around 10-12 weeks and find that the baby stopped growing weeks ago. 
    Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Going up is great, going down is bad. Everything else, like actual numbers, varies with each person.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"