May 2013 Moms
Options

Update: vaccine day question

Hello again! LO got his shots at 1:30p yesterday. Was very upset around 4/5pm...hysterically upset. DH and I were able to soothe him. Around 7:30p his temp was 100.9 we gave him Tylenol. Was down to 99.8 overnight. Thankfully the wailing stopped...heartbreaking! So this morning around 5:30a he was up to 100.6, gave Tylenol again. Now at 11:30a he is 100.3. I didn't give any more Tylenol at this point.

Here's the question... Is this really normal? How long should i expect this low grade fever to last? Our ped said he is fine with any temp under 101.5 but this seems high. He also said LO should be back to total normal by 48hrs. Also wondering when other moms give Tylenol...at what temp?

I trust him, just looking for any BTDT advice, I'm such a nervous nelly. Being home alone with DH at work also makes me nervous when the little guy doesn't feel well.

Hope all is well with everyone's LOs!! TiA

Re: Update: vaccine day question

• Options
    KashyKashy member
    We are two days past LO's shots.  The first night he was all good until the late evening.  We ended up having to give him some Tylenol because his temp was 37.3C (not sure what that is in F). This is the temp the Dr said to give him Tylenol at. 
    Yesterday he was pretty good he just slept ALL day.  This is not normal for him at all. 
    Today he seems ok and his temp is normal but he feels cool and clammy and is having diarrhea.  I did get one of the same shots he did, MMR, and I feel the exact same way he does.  I feel cold and my tummy is not well today. 

I am hoping today is the last day of him like this :(
    Augustus David - Born 5/08/13
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

my read shelf:
    April's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    The paperwork I got said the fever can last 1 to 2 days usually.  Also tylenol dosing is every 4 hours, so it makes sense that it is coming back that often.  I gave my LO tylenol when his was at 99.5 and up because I know that's a lot higher than usual for him.  He ran high for about 30 hours after getting his shots on Wednesday, and is now back to normal.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Shouldn't last more than 72 hours. 48 hours is more common. I don't give Tylenol unless LO is uncomfortable. I treat symptoms, not a number.
  • Options
    kelly422 said:
    Shouldn't last more than 72 hours. 48 hours is more common. I don't give Tylenol unless LO is uncomfortable. I treat symptoms, not a number.
    My guess is that you have not ever had a kiddo with a high fever...because trust me the first time you pick your child up and their skin feels like fire and that thermometer reads 104 you are gonna run for meds, symptoms or not.

OP, our pediatrician says to treat for anything over 101, or for signs of discomfort after shots.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Poor bunny now has 101.0 Gave him some more Tylenol. This is so scary. He seems to be in fine spirits, eating, peeing, pooping... Really wish this fever would break! Finally got it down to 99.7 now it's up again. Keeping the faith ::mobile heart::
  • Options
    kelly422 said:

I don't understand this. Isn't a fever a symptom?

OP, I hope your little one is back to normal ASAP.

Baby girl born 5/20/13. Figuring it out as we go. :)
  • Options

kelly422 said:

I don't understand this. Isn't a fever a symptom?

Yes. Fever is a symptom. I didn't understand that remark..

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2:
    March - May 2014 - Natural cycles - no luck
    June 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    August 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    September 2014 - Clomid 50mg - Fingers crossed...

• Options
    kelly422 said:

I could be wrong, but on another thread didn't you say you were a physician? Seems an odd thing for a doctor to say.
    CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers
    O14 January Signature Challenge: Snow Fails
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    If a child is happy and playful and you would never know they had a fever by the way they were acting, I don't see any need for Tylenol. If they are miserable and even if their fever is low grade, I would give Tylenol. I would go based on how LO is acting, not what the thermometer says.

This doesn't apply to this situation (or babies under 3 months because fever can indicate potential serious infection), but if a child has an illness, fevers are the bodies way fight off an infection so in that sense, a fever is actually good. That's why I'm saying you give Tylenol to treat discomfort.
  • Options
    kelly422 said:
    If a child is happy and playful and you would never know they had a fever by the way they were acting, I don't see any need for Tylenol. If they are miserable and even if their fever is low grade, I would give Tylenol. I would go based on how LO is acting, not what the thermometer says. This doesn't apply to this situation (or babies under 3 months because fever can indicate potential serious infection), but if a child has an illness, fevers are the bodies way fight off an infection so in that sense, a fever is actually good. That's why I'm saying you give Tylenol to treat discomfort.
    Well, gee, thanks for your advice to her that you're admitting does not apply to this situation, or most people on the board since most babies here are not 3 months yet.  Next maybe you should tell her how you treat your dog's diarrhea, because that would be about as helpful.  
  • Options
    Beachy730 said:

kelly422 said:

If a child is happy and playful and you would never know they had a fever by the way they were acting, I don't see any need for Tylenol. If they are miserable and even if their fever is low grade, I would give Tylenol. I would go based on how LO is acting, not what the thermometer says.

This doesn't apply to this situation (or babies under 3 months because fever can indicate potential serious infection), but if a child has an illness, fevers are the bodies way fight off an infection so in that sense, a fever is actually good. That's why I'm saying you give Tylenol to treat discomfort.

Well, gee, thanks for your advice to her that you're admitting does not apply to this situation, or most people on the board since most babies here are not 3 months yet.  Next maybe you should tell her how you treat your dog's diarrhea, because that would be about as helpful.  

Omg I'm explaining the rationale about not treating fevers in general! The first paragraph is what a health care professional would recommend as far as OP goes! I would never fault a parent for giving Tylenol if they felt their child needed it for whatever reason. I just try to avoid medications if possible so I was giving OP advice so she didn't feel like she HAD to give Tylenol.
  • Options
    Oh and I wasn't trying to be insensitive at all, so OP I apologize if that's how it came off. My LO had an awful time with shots, as well. Hope your LO is back to himself!
  • Options
    Thank you all for your input. Jack appears to be doing much better. His fever seems to have broken over the nighttime and he has maintained under 99.5 all day. A bit cranky and fighting off sleep but I am very VERY thankful his temperature is back to normal today. I pray it stays down! Again, thank you all for your well wishes and experience sharing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"