December 2010 Moms

LOs current favorite books?

My MIL brought S a copy of Richard Scarry's Things That Go, and he LOVES it! We had a slimmed down version, but this is the complete, hardcover edition, and he pores over it and remembers characters.

His other favorite is a book he picked out at the library - Julius Lester's Sam and the Tigers - which is an updated retelling of the Little Black Sambo story minus the racist depictions and names. I'm not sure how I feel about that...because S remembers and retells the basic parts of the story and anyone who knows the original might think we're reading the original to him. I don't want to censor his choices too too much, though.

What do your kids like, and how much freedom do you give them to choose their own books?

Re: LOs current favorite books?

• edited July 2013
    Ava is obsessed with Olivia and this huge book of animals (like hundreds of them). She's now started "reading" books to H and I which is hilarious. Her favorites to read to us are If You Give a Pig a Pancake and Snowmen At Night.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Aiden is huge into Dr Seuss, I think he likes the rhyming the most. We also just got a few books on manners and positive behaviors like sharing and taking turns and he reads those too....maybe some of the concepts will sink in soon.
    He has a pretty diverse collection since we frequent consignment stores. He loves reading and will frequently read a book or two or three after I leave him for naptime and we have already read 2 before he falls asleep
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • DD also loves the Olivia Books.  She does read to Mickey and (Donald) Duck before she goes to sleep.  Her favorite book still is Duck on a Bike.  She likes to point out each animal and make their noise.  Another favorite is a book DH and I got her from iseeme.com for her first birthday.  It's the Fairy Princess one that spells out her name.  She now can spell her name which is really cute.

Husband and Wife 2010
    DD 12.2010
    TTC #2 Since Aug 2012
    DX PCOS 7.25.13
    Started Metformin 7.2013
    DH SA results 6.19.14 - Too few normal sperm
    8.13.14 - SURPRISE BFP - EDD 3/30/14 Based on LMP
    MMC 9/24/14, D&C 9/25/14 13w3d, Measured at 7w4d

3.14.15 BFP #3 - EDD 11/11/15 based on LMP
  • We found a box of books in my parents storage that were mine when I was little. He's been enjoying all the 'new' stories and I've been enjoying all the 'old stories. :)

I think his favorites right now are the golden books.
    I used to be a big deal.  Now I'm just old. 
  • Evan is stuck on The Little Engine that Could right now and a book called Hansel and Diesel (its Hansel and Gretel, but with trucks).  We go to the library every 2 weeks and pick new books so he gets a bunch of different kinds, some better than others.  He doesn't seem to care what books we get at all so I just pick out a wide variety.
  • lrn327lrn327 member
    C loves the Pete the Cat books.  He's actually a local author but think he has a national reputation?  Anyway, Pete's cool and C loves him.  :-)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lrn327 said:
    C loves the Pete the Cat books.  He's actually a local author but think he has a national reputation?  Anyway, Pete's cool and C loves him.  :-)

We have Pete the Cat's 4 groovy buttons and E loves that one too!
  • His fav right now is By the Seashore. I haven't let him pick any out by I'm not adverse to it. It just hasn't happened. He is also "reading" his fav books to us. It's amazing how he has memorized whoe story books. I love it!
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • John's still big on all of the Llama Llama books, plus Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, and a few other random ones that he rotates through. He really seems to love books, it's so cute!
  • kj07kj07 member
    B's recent loves are Giraffes Can't Dance, Harry and the Terrible Whatzit, and Ferdinand the Bull.
    photo 8653f130-7264-42f4-8d67-9a73d64cacce_zps8c973e49.jpg

BFP #1 4/14/10. Big B born 12/28/10.

BFP #2 5/27/12. EDD 2/1/13. m/c and D&C 6/21/12.
  • Great posts, everybody - I look forward to seeking out some of these on our visits to the library! It's fun to see these kids "reading," isn't it.
  • DD's favorite book is whatever she's holding right now. Her magical bedtime stories book is her standby because she LOVES the big bad wolf and the 3 little pigs. I took her to get a library card yesterday and she went nuts.
    image  image
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • I let G pick out whatever books hes likes.  Hes still really into those look and find books but they're so easy for him now.
    B likes the touch and feel books.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
  • lrn327lrn327 member
    keags5496 said:
    lrn327 said:

We have Pete the Cat's 4 groovy buttons and E loves that one too!
    How cool!!  We have White Shoes and School Shoes (C's fave) and want to get him the Wheels on the Bus one too.  I have to find the one you mentioned.  
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • --halo-- said:
    We found a box of books in my parents storage that were mine when I was little. He's been enjoying all the 'new' stories and I've been enjoying all the 'old stories. :) I think his favorites right now are the golden books.
    My Golden Books are are still at my mom's house, too! DS's favorite there is one about a train. It's called Toodle.

Also, MH recently bought him Steam Train, Dream Train. I had never heard of it, but it's a really nice story & I love the illustrations. It was an instant bedtime hit with DS.

https://www.chroniclebooks.com/titles/steam-train-dream-train.html

• kj07 said:
    B's recent loves are Giraffes Can't Dance, Harry and the Terrible Whatzit, and Ferdinand the Bull.
    Oh, we have Giraffes Can't Dance, too. I think my mom got it for DS for Easter. I love this one, but I forgot all about it. I'm going to pull it out of his bookcase to read tomorrow, haha.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"