Stay at Home Moms

Do any of you really just "stay home" most of the time?

We venture out during the week maybe one day, on occasion 2 days. ?I really am okay with this, and don't have a desire to be running all over the place with a toddler and newer baby. ?Some of our family seems to think this is weird. ?I don't feel cooped up (well, maybe sometimes in the winter, but that is with or without kids), and I find lots of things to do with my older DD. ?It seems that a lot of SAHMs go out and "do" lots of things (errands, play groups, etc...) ?just wondering what others do! ?

Re: Do any of you really just "stay home" most of the time?

• DS and I have always gone out at least once a day...except in the summer when we're too busy swimming in the pool! Now that he's in school we run around all the time between activities and play dates and I usually have lunch with friends while he's at kindergarten. I'm not really a homebody.
    Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • For the first 16 mos of DD's life, we lived in a very tiny and remote town. We went to the big city about every 2 weeks. It was an all-day adventure that was totally exhausting and required a lot of preparation and recovery time. Between then, we would do minor errands if necessary, but often I'd go many days without leaving our house/yard.

We have since moved to "civilization" and I try to go somewhere every day, but often that turns into every other day. I think I'm still adjusting to having everything be so close. But we don't do playgroups, lessons or anything like that. When we leave, it's usually for errands/shopping. I'm kind of a homebody, too, but I like to be a little busy.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • we stay at home most of the time. honestly, the thought of leaving the house every day makes me totally crazy. I really look forward to being able to stay home all dayand just get things done. We typically run errands one day and then go to my parents (3 miles away) 2 days a week.

I am sure when he is older and the weather is better we will do more things out but right now I really enjoy being a homebody :)

• I'd say most days I have some sort of small errand to run, but I don't go out just to go out.  I'm like you - I enjoy being at home (I'm a homebody) and am fine not running around!
  • So far we have mainly stayed home with an occasional errand here and there but with twins it is really hard to load them up both.  I will probably go out more when they are older but even going to a class with them would be hard because there are two of them and only one of me.

Kerri

• We stay home and I really don't mind.  We're in a rural area (2 miles from smaller towns and 5 from a bigger city), so it's not like we have a lot to walk to that's close.  Therefore we run errands when it's needed (groceries, appt. etc.) versus getting out everyday.  We do live on a walking/biking trail so we'll use that in the summer.  Otherwise, I like being at home with having little ones.  There is plenty to do here and I don't need to load up a diaper bag to do it Smile 
    DD#1~8/17/96------DS~10/24/05 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're usually home.  The baby does not like her carseat, and I really don't have all that many errands to run.
  • We rarely go anywhere.  With DD being so little, it's just a pain.  Now that she's getting beigger, we'll start to go out more so that she can get some social interaction.  I just signed her up for her first class that starts at the end of Feb.  So we'll go out once a week for that.  I imagine we might get together with a friend/play group one other time during the week.  But I enjoy staying home and relaxing with DD mostly.
  • We go out every day.  I've been taking DD to library story time since she was 4 months old, and we joined a neighborhood play group.  I'd take her even when she was tiny just to watch the other kids play.  I just joined a new gym and am going to try putting her in the gym daycare.  I think it's really important that she spends time with other kids.  I am lucky that I live in an area with tons of young families and a shopping center 6 blocks away.  I'd say maybe only one day per week we don't go anywhere.  She doesn't love her carseat, but now that she eats solids it's much easier because I can give her snacks to keep her happy.
  • We go out every day.  Otherwise, I'd go insane.
  • I'm a total homebody, and having DD allows me to finally follow my natural instinct to nest. 

I do go out for a walk with her once a day, unless it's snowing.  She's more outgoing than I am, so I've got to think of more ways to socialize while it's yucky out.

• We only have one car, so we stay home until DH gets home from work.
  • imagecitygirl_:
    I'd say most days I have some sort of small errand to run, but I don't go out just to go out.  I'm like you - I enjoy being at home (I'm a homebody) and am fine not running around!

ditto

• I'm now at home because I just had #3 last week, but typically we're out every day. It's just how our routine works, especially since DD#1 is in preschool.
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • We go out almost everyday. Right after DD was born I was afraid to. Now I NEED to go out. Even if it's to the $$ store just to look around. I need to get out of the house or I'll go mad.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • We go out maybe once a week to the store, but it's really cold here & I'm afraid she'll get sick (silly I know!).  In the summer we take walks everyday to the local park or go to the local beach.  Now, we just play inside, etc & I have time on the treadmill when she's napping.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Now we go out 2 or 3 mornings a week.  My son has EI school 1 morning and a home visit from his teacher 1 morning.  So we are busy nearly every morning.

When DD was younger we rarely went out (outside to play or for walks daily but not out like to the mall).  But lately since it's been so damn cold outside if we need a change of scenery we have to go to the mall or Target or library.

We don't do any playgroups though, I don't like to have to be somewhere at a set timeSmile 

DS - June 2006 DD1 - November 2007 DD2 - August 2010
  • We always leave the house every day, even if it's to just go for a quick 20 minute walk on the trail or to get groceries or maybe walk up to Starbucks or something.
  • I'm sort of a recluse by nature so it's not much different now that I'm a SAHM and a prego again. The only time my son and I go out is to run errands (when DH is home...we only have one car) or if it's an urgent necessity like when we had to walk up the street to get some cold medicine while DH was at work. My son (who is almost 1) enjoys going out, but he gets sleepy and cranky after a little while so sometimes it's easier to stay home, just have to keep him entertained.
  • DS and I leave the house everyday (unless I'm sick or he's sick).

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• We usually have one errand day, and then sometimes go have dinner at family or friends' homes after my DH gets home.  We also all go to church on Sunday.

We live semi-rural, and with the time and expense to get anywhere, it really isn't worth it very often.  My mom, a long time SAHM, frequently says, "If you don't go anywhere, you spend less money!" (Unless, of course, you're shopping online, but I don't do that often.)

I feel like it doesn't make sense to go out and do much right now, unless we're going out as a family.  The baby doesn't love his carseat, I get tired out, and we're not home getting things done.

• DS is in tumbletime one day a week and we go to storytime at the library every Friday. I also go to MOPS twice a month so they're both in the playgroup there. We also run errands one day a week or after an activity.

For the most part, DS is happy to stay around our neighborhood. We go on walks or to the park and he is as happy as a clam so I don't see the need to have him in 'activities' every day. He loves to play in our backyard and we have a pool. Plus, I hate having to be somewhere at a set time. I'd rather just take the day as it comes. If we get out, great, if not, thats fine too!

• We do. It's hard enough to get around with him in his stroller. He hates shopping, so if I do have to go somewhere, its as soon as he gets up from his nap.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"