Blended Families

I have a bone to pick with some of you hussies

And I mean hussies in the most loving manner possible, I swear.

But if I see any more of you yammering on about how "BM refuses to get a job" I swear to God I'm gonna go postal on someone. Surely some of you realize just how fricking expensive it is to put little ones in day care and how hard it is to find a job that works around a day care's hours. That means no weekends, no nights, no holidays, etc. That kind of job is difficult as fuuk to get if you have no real job skills. Hell, it's even difficult to find one of those when the kids are in school. After school care isn't cheap either and there are few jobs during school hours, unless you want to plop mounds of boxed potatoes on the trays of elementary schoolers of course.

I especially get irritated when we are talking about remarried BM's. The ex and I agreed that I would be a stay at home mother. Are you really surprised that these women might have the same agreement with the new spouse?

Now I'll grant you, that many of the women of which you ladies speak seem to be greedy little hussies. So how about we just call them greedy little hussies instead of saying that they are "refusing to work."

I know I personally am not refusing to work to get more child support. I've made the choice to be a stay at home mother. So I'm getting a little peeved with hearing so many of you turn your noses and make snide comments about it. I know you aren't referring to me, but it still irritates the piss out of me now and again.

Click me, click me!

Re: I have a bone to pick with some of you hussies

• I completely understand where you're coming from. Sometimes it's so easy to just place blame on BM or something like that, when in all reality it has nothing to do with anything. You are right, though. It really isn't anyone's place to judge. (At least that's how I see it.) And yes, BM is a SAHM, just like me. So I do know where she and you are coming from. :)
    "Momma! She's doing it again!!" Photobucket
  • I don't understand how a BM not working could result in more child support.  I thought child support was a percentage of the non-custodial parent's income.
  • Loading the player...
  • in some states (most now I think) both parents incomes are taken in to account, but I know that in my state, the fact that I don't work makes a negligible difference IF we followed state guidelines, which we don't.  It bothers my ex that I don't work. But he knows that it's not HIS decision to make and also he knows that DS (and actually ex too) has benefited in countless ways because I am a SAHM.
    Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • States do different calculations. ?Sometimes the total of the income of both bio parents is made and the total of child support is decided using that amoung...let's say $2000 total. ?Then each parent is expected to contribute to the child support. ?Therefore, if BM makes 40% and BD makes 60% of the income then they split costs on that ratio.?

What a judge can do is look at how much a stay-at-home parent COULD be making. ?If she has a part-time job, the judge may look at what she could be making if she were employed full time. ?Or order that the child-support calculation be re-evaluated when the children are in school full time.?

?

• If I worked, I think he'd end up paying more child support. I can't imagine the amount of income I make could possibly make up for the added expense of child care.

I don't know. I guess I just feel that some people had children with the understanding that they would be raised by a stay at home parent. That doesn't necessarily change because there is a divorce, especially if the BM later goes on to remarry.

Click me, click me!
  • Hey, I love SAHMs.  I don't begrudge BM's "decision" to be a SAHM, but I do chuckle at the fact that she was fired for not showing up or calling in to work the week following our attorney's request for CS modification based on her employment, up from $75/mo to $500.
    Stay at home mom to a house of boys: two amazing stepsons, 12 and 9, and our 4 year old.
  • I think SAHM's rock too - just not when they lie about having an "unexplained illness" just so they don't have to help support their children financially - school aged children that DON'T need daycare I might add - and to top it off, even though she DOES stay home, you'd think the kids were alone 24/7 because they're left to their own devices and ignored anyway! And yes, ours is definitely a greedy hussy! :o)
  • I've always liked you Hindsight :) You're awesome!! BUT - I am not a hussie and I rant about our BM not getting a job :)  Mind you... "Little ones at home" are an exception.  A 14 yr old is NOT!  Living off of state funding and welfare and child support is not a good life.  Not contributing to anything because they choose to sit on their lazy nasty a$$ is not. 

But otherwise - I agree :)  I envy the stay at home moms (that have little ones!) because yes, daycare is too expensive.  But the SAHM needs to end when the kids are in school.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Mine are 5 and 7. It would cost me $120/wk to put them in after-school care, minimum. My skill set just doesn't pay well enough for the extra hassle. But when your children are old enough to stay home for two hours by themselves and the alternative is to collect money from the state, then yeah, take thee to work.

Click me, click me!
  • I'm going to be a SAHM for a period of time after our baby is born - because my income would defeat the purpose of having child care - I would basically be working to pay for child care and it wouldn't make sense - so while our child is young, I will be a SAHM - when they're older, I'll go back to work. Orrrrrr maybe I'll make up an imaginary illness and then get my boobs done, go on cruises and go dirt bike riding! YEAH!
  • Seredipity... haha Im with you!  Im going to get my boobs, tummy tuck, lipo, the whole bid :) and then the cruises, etc. sound fun too!! I may just take my little child support card to the mall and spend away :)

PS - daycare here for an infant is $157 a week... That is not feasible for us either.  So when we finally do have a baby - I will probably only work part time.  :) But I would NEVER make child support my "income" because I dont feel like working.

• That's the problem, that supposition. If chick is married, than her husband's money is the income. Mr man's money is child support.

Argh!! See what I mean???

Click me, click me!
  • I like you Hindsight. LOL - lay it out there!

Yes, I see what you mean about the CS, etc.  And being a SAHM (I totally envy! I would love to be able to do that) but I think that title needs to end when a child is old enough (ummm, 14 years old is plenty old enough!) My SD's mother had her setting her own alarm clock, getting up, getting ready, eating breakfast alone, and getting on the school but at the age of 7.  ALONE!  So there is no reason why my BM cannot work... She does nothing all day long.  She does drugs and sleeps.  I love when we are visitng SD and her mom comes rolling out of bed in the afternoon when we drop her back off.  Haha - it's quite funny :)

But I see your point that your kiddos are still young enough to need watching after school, etc.  When I am in your shoes with little kids - I would need a job that ended before school did, etc.  :)

• I'm a little confused at the responses that say "SAHM should stop when the kids are in school" as kids still need supervision when they get home. That means a mom could get a job from about 9-2:30 depending on how far away it was from the school.  There aren't many jobs that pay well and offer those types of hours. Being a mom doesn't end when a child goes to school...in many cases, it's more/at least as important to be home once the child IS in school.
  • One more thing...I'm glad ex is at least aware that I don't live off of his paltry cs...that would really p*ss me off! His monthly support pays for about one of DS's activities...for a couple of weeks.
  • It is one thing if they don't work because their new H can afford for them to support their family adequaetly, but when that is not the case, and they aer taking the ex to the cleaners, so they don't have to work, how is that fair?

I have explained in great detail our financial situation on here before. We pay over $2000 a month for her, and one child. She is living in the marital home that was supposed to be listed on the market for sale (court ordered) last year. She has no mortgage. She gets heating assistance, medical assistance, and was getting food stamps.She won't even pay her half of the property taxes, and has had them all defered (which should be fun when the house finally does sell). SS is 13 going on 14. She can work full-time and chooses not to, because she claims he is disabled (not unless you consider ADD a disablity is this even remotely true). She could get herself a higher paying job, instead of working for $8 an hour 16-20 hours a week. She has the skillset to be a nurses assistant and would need to be recertified, which I believe costs $800, and we would pony up and pay that if that meant that she would work full-time to provide for her son-but she won't. We cannot afford to move from the shithole we live in, buy ourselves new clothes, or enjoy any of the things we work so hard for. Is that fair? So, while no I don't think that saying the BM should work is fair in every case, I do in most.
    So, while I appreciate being called a hussie (I prefer harlet), it is not fair to lump all in to the same category--just as it isn't fair to lump all BM's into the same category. I only know my situation, and in my situation, BM does need to get off her fat, lazy, entitled, bitter ass and get a better job.
  • Right. I'm saying focus on the details and not generalization. For many of you, there is more to the story that mom simply not working.

I can think of at least four of you that are justified in your irritation towards these no good mooching heifers. But I'm afraid some of the newer peeps we've had of late, jump entirely too eagerly into the BM's need to work vent pool.

Click me, click me!
  • Not saying "being a mom" ends when they go off to school - but even most states define that a BM can be a SAHM to a certain extent - a certain age for the child, and then the mother also has a responsibility to her children financially...(not my definition - but one of the state's definitions)
  • I more than fulfill my obligation financially to my son because of DH...it's different if the mother is single, but a married SAHM certainly doesn't (and no state mandates that she has to) have to work if she and her husband have decided that she doesn't have to.
  • Just reading what it does state for the state BM lives in - and in our case, yes, when she worked and had no medical issues and then magically decides she does (aka: lying), just so she can try to screw DH with 100% of the support (which is what it states) then that isn't right and the state says the same thing - regardless of her being remarried or not. Every state is different. She's not just saying she's a SAHM - she's saying she has no "choice" in the matter too. DH didn't pay 100% of the support when they were married - she had an income at one point (or certain points as well) so it's not ok to turn around and say "ok, we're divorced now, so since I have someone to take care of ME financially, you have to foot the entire bill for 100% of the kids support so I have to do nothing - because "I can't work now"...)

I can see where other situations are different and if a mom has been a SAHM for awhile or chose that as har career, etc - because I know raising kids is a full time, never ending job - then that's different - our situation is vastly different and involves many elements and lies from BM on many levels at that. And she doesn't act like a mom to her kids or take care of them the way they should be taken care of either.

• They can't force anyone to work. They can impute income...but that's not the same thing.
  • Oh I know that - they def can't force her to - but she's def capable of having an imputed income, which is something that's being brought into the mix here - also, if she "can't work" she should be responsbile enough to apply for SS/disability - she told us like 3 yrs ago that she did and she's "still waiting on a response" - so by now she's either receiving it and not disclosing it to us or she got rejected. (either way, the truth has to come out now becuse they ask in the court paperwork if she is receiving disability or plans to, what amount does she get and what amount do the minor children get? Also, what is the nature and extent of her disability, of which she has to have documentation for...)
  • Mom2one - I was not implying that being a SAHM should stop when the child is in school (when they are young) but if a 14 yr. old cannot come home after school without mommy being there... there is a problem!!!! 

Our child support is $2951 a month.  THAT IS MORE THAN I MAKE! There is no reason for her to be getting that much other than when calculated the hoebags income is pathetically "zero"

• If some women are lucky enough to not have to work due to being financially secure - amen to them!  I do envy them... But for 90% of women, most of us have to work and dont WANT the luxury of living off of CS or the state.

**I was in no means trying to offend you.

• The way that my DH has his child support calculated is on what he is CAPABLE of making... If he wants to work at McDonalds making $7.50 an hour - he can, but will still be responsible for paying the $2951 in child support because he is capable of a better job.
  • Ditto that . . . I'm a SAHSM for now . .  . I finally start work next week!! Yea!  But, I think that once your kids are in middle school they should have some kind of common sense and hopefully by then as parents you have already taught them some responsibility that they can be alone for a couple of hours.  I understand staying home with little ones but, yeah -- in a case where a 14 yr. old is the "baby to care for" this whole SAHM is BS.

It's cool if you decide to stay home with the kiddos . . . what's not cool is that the new wife has to work and does not have the option to stay home or not because she has to make sure that her family has what is basic for any household but, because of whatever reason the husband cannot provide . . . perhaps because there is two families to take care of?

I guess what really matters is the agreement that both parents make.  Unfortunately, the agreement is usually done before the new wife or family comes into the picture.

• I'm not offended...no worries. I just fear what a 14 year old might do in an empty house after school...I remember what my friends were doing. lol. In our case I don't plan to return to work ever...but I do lots of volunteer work at DS's school.
  • imageJ+R:
    The way that my DH has his child support calculated is on what he is CAPABLE of making... If he wants to work at McDonalds making $7.50 an hour - he can, but will still be responsible for paying the $2951 in child support because he is capable of a better job.

Ditto here, and that sucks ass for many reasons. One of which, with the downturn in the economy we are not making nearly what he made 3 or 4 years ago (think almost half), but we cannot control that, we are commision only in a very hard hit industry. The court will not come back and re-evaluate that, because he has the POTENTIAL to make that. However, it does not go both ways. BM has the potential to make 5 times as much as she does (probably more like 20 times but whatever) and that is not taken into consideration. It sucks. It sucks big time.
    So, I understand where the bitterness on the part of the SM comes from. I find myself riddled with it quite often. When you have less then ideal living conditions, while the SM has a nice house, car, clothes, vacays, etc. and you don't it sucks. Especially when said BM does not provide decent clothes for SK's, continuely asks for more $ and does not take responsibility for the child they gave birth to and the obligations that come along with that. But it does no good to be angry and bitter, it won't change anything.

• imagemom2one:
    I'm not offended...no worries. I just fear what a 14 year old might do in an empty house after school...I remember what my friends were doing. lol. In our case I don't plan to return to work ever...but I do lots of volunteer work at DS's school.

That is lovely, if you can afford to financially support your child in the way you see fit, without depending on others to do it for you. If you have reasonable expectations as to what CS should be, and don't expect someone else to finance your lifestyle that is wonderful.
    However, for a lot of us that is not the case. How would you feel if you were in the situation that I described above? Would you feel slighted, bitter, frustrated, cheated? Or would you think that is fair?

• Sure I'd be annoyed...but in the case of being upset about not having the lifestyle you want...that is kind of part of being a second family. The needs of the first family/children are known and must be met...the second family has to plan around that until the obligations to the first family (ie. the children are grown and gone) have ended. There's no point in being bitter about it if it's a known entity going in to the marriage. And yes, your husband's obligations seem excessive and unfair...but if they've been that way all along, it's simply something that has to be planned around until/if it can be corrected. KWIM?
  • So, I shouldn't feel bitter that we live in a one and half bedroom shithole, can't go on vacations, work 100 hours + a week between the two of us, can't afford clothes, and overall barely make ends meet, while she is granted the "lifestyle to which she has become accustomed to" on our dime? Is that really fair? What about the lifestyle to which we became accustomed?

In a divorce situation, everyone should be made to make conssecsions, not just one person or one family. It is not fair, and it is not right. Why can't we meet in the middle?  It sucks, and like I said it does no good being bitter about it, but sometimes it is hard to not be. When you look around and see that you can barely make ends meet, yet you bust your ass, when you cycle throught the same 3 or 4 outfits for work, when you wonder how you will pay for groceries, or your electric bill, while someone else is getting the majority of your paycheck so that they can live a comfortable life while doing nothing for themselves, it is irritating. And how is any of it fair or right?

• I'm gonna have to agree with mary - as I said in my last post, it's not fair for anyone to say "ok, now that I have someone to support me (new husband or new wife, what have you...) I think I won't work and then my ex OWES me 100% support for the kids while I rely on current spouse and ex spouse to foot the bill for my and my kids. It's one thing for a current spouse to do that for the other spouse - that's fine - it's another thing entirely for the ex spouse to take advantage of the other ex spouse by slating them with 100% CS costs when that's not how it worked out before and when the child(ren) weren't seeing that amount of $ each month to begin with, when the parents were still together. Believe you me - my SS's have never had the amount of CS that DH pays, spent on them - not when DH was married to BM and not now either, because she's stupid with it and is very greedy.

That is why errors can happen and corrections are needed - and incomes should be imputed as accurately as possible for BOTH parents. No one should get a free ride when it comes to financially supporting their kids but some do.

• I feel for your situation because we have been hearing & watching for years hundreds of dollars each month being spent here or there, and on stupid crap mind you, that we know more than likely comes from my H's CS agreement, and nothing can be done about it.
  • Dang. I think since my SD lives with us I should tell my hubby to start asking for CS from his ex, I want a hot tub!Stick out tongue (kidding! -- sort of)

Sad isn't it?  (Most) Women have double standards for everything.  What ever happened to pride? Self Respect?  I wouldn't want an extra dime from my ex in that situation; I would want what is fair for the kids but nothing else . . . same reason my H doesn't get anything from his ex I guess!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"