Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

need relief for RSV/ bronchiolitis

DS is 8 mo. old and has had symptoms for over a month!  He's been to pedi 3 times and urgent care finally decided it was acute bronchiolitis caused by RSV.  He wheezes and coughs but can't get the mucos out.  Any suggestions for how to help him cough it up? 

Also, he started waking up every 2-3 hrs. screaming, crying, arching back... doesn't want to eat, doesn't need a diaper change just snuggle back to sleep.  I am desperate for uninterrupted sleep and we are going to call pedi. first thing in the morning, but I dread the nighttime. 

Re: need relief for RSV/ bronchiolitis

• Options
    my ds sleeps in his boppy bc it keeps him elevated, which helped a ton! are you doing breathing treatments? that helps a lot too! If not try taking him in a warm shower with you. that may help.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Urgent care said breathing treatments would only work if there was a family history of asthma or allergies, which there isn't.  I didn't want to put him through it, if it wouldn't help.  Maybe I should give it a try.

When he coughs something up, how do I get him to spit it out?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would try the breathing treatments.  DD has one last week and it did wonders for her.  One thing the pedi said that most don't do is make sure they get upset while you are giving it to them.  The crying immitates clearing their throat, which little ones aren't good at doing on their own.  She said without them getting upset, the treatments don't work nearly as well.   She also suggested to let her cry if she seems congested at home.  In no way was she saying to ignore them, but if you feel they need to clear their throat let them do it for a bit.
  • Options

We went through exactly the same thing unfortunately!!!  its awful.

One thing my pedi did that worked within 24 hours was he gave us an allergy medicine called something like "Alli hist"?  He was on a VERY small dose just to help dry up some of the mucous.  One of the worst symptoms of Bronchiolitis is mucous.

Let me tell you....it worked wonders!!!!  it helped to dry him up a little so that he could actually get some sleep without coughing.  You may wanna ask about it.

good luck!!!

• Options

pedi put DS on pediatex, it's a baby decongestant.  We've seen a remarkable difference since he's been on it.

His congestion was so bad he'd choke on his mucus coughing and throw up.

We also spent 15 min. in the bathroom w/ the hot shower so he could get all teh steam.

For DS bronchiolitis they put him on an air chamber with albuterol.

GL

• Options
    imagePrincessNK:

Urgent care said breathing treatments would only work if there was a family history of asthma or allergies, which there isn't.  I didn't want to put him through it, if it wouldn't help.  Maybe I should give it a try.

When he coughs something up, how do I get him to spit it out?

sometimes the breathing treatments will work.  Do you have a children's hospital?  Our children's put him on the breathing treatments.  Yes, there's a chance it will not make the wheezing stop but sometimes it does.

My DS either swallows his mucus or pukes if it's too much.

• Options

We used breathing treatments (albuterol) to help with the wheezing and a decongestant/antihistamine called Nasohist to dry up the mucous. Like pp's, our DS would sometimes cough until he puked, usually not long after a bottle. 

It took a full 2 months for all the symptoms to go away.  He is finally breathing normally again and not waking up coughing in the night. We also used Vick's baby rub on his feet with socks at night, and that seemed to help... and a cool mist humidifier.  I do feel your pain... it's frustrating that you can't help them more, and it's even worse when you're sleep deprived.  Hang in there.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"