Birth Stories

Trisomy 18 test

Did anyone have a second trimester screening and get a test resulting in a high risk of your baby having trisomy 18?  I did and I'm very scared, my docs office told me today, but it is a holiday for the geneticist. 

I've been reading every possible website out there and each one seems to give different information, very confusing.  I'm hoping there is someone who had this done and everything is okay.  Is anyone going through this?  It's a scary thing, a baby with trisomy 18 rarley lives past 1 year old.

Re: Trisomy 18 test

• I'm sorry you have to deal with this, so scary.  

Did you do the NT scan in the first tri?

If you just did the 16 week screen the false positve rate is much higher then if you did the triple screen (NT scan, blood test, then repeat blood test at 16 weeks) Maybe you got a false positve? Try to stop researching on the net, easier said then done. Hang in there : )

• Yes--- we got results back that our baby had a 1 in 10 chance of having trisomy 18. I also read all those scary websites and pretty much went into our emergency u/s expecting the worse. We, however, saw no physical markers and continued to be monitored. DD was born in October healthy as can be. Remember--- there are a lot of false positives with those tests.

Good luck... I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

• Loading the player...
  • Wow Blue!  1 in 10 must have really been scary.  My little boy is at a 1 in 22 chance.  I'm so glad your baby turned out to be perfectly healthy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"