Baby Showers

How far in advance for baby showers?

My MIL is hosting a baby shower for me. She asked when I want to have it. I'm due April 1st. Is March 1st too early or too late?

?Also, are baby showers typically held on Saturdays or Sundays? ?

My MIL also wanted to know if food is provided. Back in her days, they only had cake and punch. Should she provide a full course meal or just appetizers?

TIA!?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How far in advance for baby showers?

• My friend's due date was in June and we hosted her shower in April.  No one thought it was too early.  Actually it worked out well b/c she ended-up delivering a month early (May 1).  I would actually recommend that you push it up just a little.  As for the day, i guess it depends on what works best.  When it comes to food it depends on the day.  We're having a full meal at mine b/c it will end at around 6 or 7 but if you're having an afternoon shower, light snacks/appetizers should be fine.  Honestly though, I think the food and day are so flexible!  Let your MIL see how stressed she is with the other details and kind of just take it as it goes.

• I think a shower should be like any other party; if it's held at a meal time, a meal should be provided. If it's at an off hour, cake and punch is plenty.?

The day of the week really doesn't matter, just whatever works. If it's on a Sunday you just want it late enough not to conflict with church for any of your family/friends who may attend.

A month early is fine, or even a little late really.?

Contemplating the snow.
    Mes Petit Choux
    imageimageimage
    I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then. ~ Alice

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Because of the holidays- my shower was 11/9- I'm due late January. I think it all depends and when it's covenient. My shower was on a Sunday, but I went to a few on Saturdays. My shower was around 2, guests arrived around 1. They did have a full course lunch.

• I think March 1st would be perfect. I had DS in June and one shower in April and another at the beginning of May. I had just started to hit the uncomfortable stage in May so I thought the timing for that shower was great.
  • Baby showers are typically held on Sundays around here, but mine will be on a Saturday because the host is coming in from out of town, so it will be easier for her.  It depends on the time.  She is just doing snacks and dessert, but it will be held at 2pm.  If it is held around meal-time, most people will assume that there will be a meal.
  • I don't think March 1st is too early or too late. Sounds like a good time to me!

Most showers I've been to have been held on Saturdays, but Sunday showers will work out well, too. Whatever works best for you, your host, and your guests.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • A lot of this is regional. I have seen showers on Saturdays and Sundays, just depending on what is convenient. We did a full lunch at mine. I would do it a bit earlier than March 1, just in case you go early and plus you want extra time to set up your baby gear before the baby arrives.
    DD #1 passed away in January 2011 at 14 days old due to congenital heart disease
    DD#2 lost in January 2012 at 23 weeks due to anhydramnios caused by a placental abruption
  • I agree with the previous post- if possible I'd have it a bit earlier.  Mine is when I'm 32-33 weeks and I can't imagine it being any later since we'll be getting so many necessary items.  While first babies tend to come later, any time 37 weeks and on is considered full term.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm due March 30 and am having my shower on February 7th when I will be 33 weeks. We are having a couples shower on a Saturday afternoon. My sisters and my mom are throwing it for me so I am not sure what the food is yet but I'm sure since there will be a lot of people there that we will have food and a cake.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"