Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Bicornuate Uterus

I started spotting last night and since we just had a MC in Sept, we decided to go to the ER. They did a bunch of testing and an ultrasound and found out that I have a Bicornuate Uterus. Meaning that instead of a pear shape, I have a heart shape. When the baby attaches itself higher into one of the "horns" it can't really spread out and usually ends in M/C. Supposedly I have only a 55 chance of delivering a baby with each pregnancy, and going into labor in the 2nd and early 3rd trimesters is very common. My husband and I are CRUSHED to say the least. I mean how many Miscarriages would/will we have to go through? We've always wanted 3 kids, and UGH!!!! This just makes me so MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Does anyone else have this? I've heard it's actually a lot more common than people think, and lots of women that have it give birth not even knowing it.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bicornuate Uterus

• you could try asking on the Success after IF board - there might be some ladies there who have had this.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This is something that they think I may have, but they are leaning more towards a septum ... they will know for sure when the open me up for surgery in a couple of weeks.  I don't know too much about it because I have been focusing on the septum.  I believe there are things that REs can do via surgery for biocornate as well.  Check on the SAL board also, I know there are girls there that have more experience.  There is also a yahoo board that is a great source of information for women with mullerian anomolies (in english that mean bizzare uterus, but it sounds nicer!)  Here is the site:

https://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/MullerianAnomalies

I check in here from time to time, but I'm on TTCAL more often if you need to page me for any questions (I'll do my best)  Also, if you don't get many responces today, try your post again this evening or tomorrow, the boards are pretty slow today.  GL

• Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry you learned this news.  I also became (and still am) very frustrated and angry when I found out I had a uterus abnormality.  I feel like my body keeps failing me.  I was told it may be the cause of the m/c but with the rate of m/c I don't know if I will ever know.

During and after my m/c they thought was a bicornate based on the ultrasound but after an MRI they now think it is a septum.  The only real way to diagnose this is through a surgery called a diagnostic lapcroscopy and hysteroscopy and if a septum is found they will cut it to open up the uterus cavity at the same time.  My surgery is scheduled for February.  Like you, we would like 3 kids and unfortunately instead of being able to TTC in January we will now have to wait until at least March.  As bad as all this is, I feel fortunate to have discovered this and pushed for more treatment after only one m/c.  Some women have multiple m/c's before getting the proper diagnosis and treatment.

• I am SO SORRY for my last line.  I wasn't reading the post that carefully and didn't see your ticker.  I'm sorry.  I have read that with a bicorneruate the rate of carrying to full term is much more hopeful.  Good luck and sticky baby dust to you. 
  • I hope this pregnancy goes well from now on.  Eventually surgery is an option to fix the abnormatily, so that you ahve an easier pregnancy for your third child.  GL!!  ((HUGS))
    ***** TTCAL/Forever Buddy to Cour10e******
    -m/c at 11w2d due to partial molar 2008 -m/c #2 2009
    Beautiful daughter born February 2011
    **Ultimate TTCALer 2009**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • i also have a bicornuate uterus and have a healthy 3 year old son and am almost 31 weeks pg.  i did have a m/c in between but we know the cause of it and it was not because of my uterus.  my septate is actually so bad that when i go in for a u/s you can see my "2nd uterus"  my son was a fairly complicated pregnancy and i was put on strict bedrest because of ptl.  now with this pregnancy things are going much better.  my dr. did put me on early bedrest but has since released me.  he did that to prevent going in to ptl too early.  so far everything is going great. 

i almost died when i saw the stats of miscarriage and ptl with a bicornuate uterus but you have to do your best to not stress about it.  i wish you the best!! 

• I have a bicornuate uterus but my ob doesn't seem to think it was the cause of my miscarriage since at the time I also had several large fibroids.  I've asked about the surgery to repair it since someone told me I should get it done at the same time I have my fibroids removed (if it comes to that) however my OB has told me that they wouldn't even consider that until I have had several miscarriages.  At my last appt I really didn't get to ask the questions that I had to find out more about my uterus because that is when they told me I had a missed miscarriage. 

From miscarriages, a diagnosis of a bicornuate uterus, and fibroid removal surgery...It's been quite the journey but it was all well worth it. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have a bicornuate uterus as well. From my understanding, any complications you have are the result of how much it is separated AND where the egg implants. As pp mentioned, many doctors will confuse the diagnosis of bicornuate and septate. The septate can make the ute appear heart shape from the inside, but the bicornuate is actually heart shaped from the inside and out and to varying degrees. If it is septate, sometimes the septum will just get pushed aside during pregnancy and there is no problem carrying to term. Also, the uterus is an amazing muscle, so depending on much separation there is, it may very easily stretch out for baby. What else I know...you can deliver premature, and you are more likely to deliver by c-section as many babies are breech. PubMed has many journals on bicornuate utes, so I would go there rather than look it up on google.

Personally, after this recent m/c (not due to ute-too early) I will be having an MRI to gage the extent of what we are dealing with. I have seen actually a good number of ladies here on the bump that have either bicorn or septum and they have gone on to having healthy full term babies. Please do not stress until you know what is going on with you, everyone is different and the added stress is not good for your state of mind.?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"