Adoption

Checklist for Nursery (pre-match)

I have heard several stories of people getting "the call" unexpectedly and having to run around like crazy trying to get everything together. So, hubby and I are working on getting a list of minimum things to buy to have our nursery ready for a baby. Everything from basics to things I might not think of right away. Does anyone already have a list they can share? I just don't want to get a call and have to wait to rush to the hospital because we need to stop and buy a crib! I want to be able to pick up and go!

Thanks!

Erica

Re: Checklist for Nursery (pre-match)

• Well, you might not even need the crib :-)   We plan on having baby in our room for a few months so this is our list of must haves:

pack n'play or basinet -- car seat -- some onsies and a blanket or two -- bottles -- diapers/formula.

We will probably hold off on the diaper/formula and only buy a few bottles. We will stop at the store for those things if we happened to get an 'insta' placement. We're planners by nature so we will probably start working on a nursery next summer but I also know that if we got an quick placement we have family and friends we could call and ask to go to the store for us or help us put together a crib or let us borrow something until we can order/buy it.

• I don't have an answer for you, but wanted to say I looked at your latest blog entry and hope it all goes well. ?That is exciting!
  • Loading the player...
  • We were one of those "unexpected calls".  We got a call and the next day went to pick up Ben.  We didn't have anything.  We bought a pack-n-play and a car seat and then your basics--diapers, wipes, onesies, socks, wash cloths, wash, baby powder, pacis, bottles, warmer, bottle brush, laundry detergent, changing pads, and blankets on the way out of town.

When we got back, Ben slept in the room with us in a pack-n-play.  We went to BRU and got a crib and changing table and registered. We didn't get the nursery done for about 6 weeks after we got home, but Ben didn't really care...LOL!

I read your blog entry and I hope everything works out for you. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I do not have any advice, but I just read your blog and HOLY MOLY!!!! I wish you and your family the best of luck. Keep us updated.

• Hey ladies! Thank so much for the comments and wishes! I know!! HOLY COW!!! I'm clearing out the former storage room (should have been a nursery all along) and going to just get a list together and maybe start shopping tomorrow. Don't want to get too excited and everything...but also don't want to panic if we get "the call." So....eeek!!! :) 

So, first thing is to finish cleaning the room. Then, I'll make a shopping run and just get some basic stuff. I think I will definitely put off the crib shopping because that is something I had always planned to do with my mom. But the pack and play is a great idea! Thanks so much and I will definitely keep you posted!

Erica

• That's so excited! My fingers are crossed for you. We are adopting too but a quick placement for us would be a call probably the end of February or beginning of march otherwise we have  wait up to about 9 months on average lol

So we ordered all of our nursery furniture this weekend because some of it will take up to 12 weeks to be delivered. It was so much fun and exciting.

We decided in addition to the crib to get a cradle so that it can be in our room or if we get the early call it can serve as the crib in the baby room. We bought it off the floor of the furniture sell - it was the floor model with no defects for a really great price. So that might also be an idea instead of the basket or pack/play.

I wish you lots of luck!

• You honestly need surprisingly little for a newborn.  A few onesies, a couple pairs of pants and socks, bottles, wipes, maybe some diapers (the hospital will send you home with some to get you started), a car seat.

If you have a nursery put together, great.  If you don't, don't worry about it b/c you might not even use it much for the first few months.  Our DD slept in a bassinet in our room for three months and it was wonderful.  I've heard of people even letting their newborns sleep in their car seat, a bouncy seat, etc.  They'll pretty much sleep anywhere.  :)

Things we loved with our DD -- pacifiers (get a couple different kinds b/c there was one brand ONLY that she would take), SwaddleMe blanket, BundleMe cover for her car seat (winter baby), OxiClean (the powder to add to the washing machine, the spray for stains... it will happen on day one).

The hospital will send you home with a ton of formula.  Don't stock up ahead of time b/c you have no idea what kind your DC will need.  Our DD was switched to soy while still in the hospital, so if I'd bought ahead I would have been out a TON of money!!  They do not let you return formula w/o a receipt b/c people can get it free from WIC, so they don't want people trying to make $$ off of it.

Tempting as it is, I wouldn't stock up on lots of diapers either b/c every baby is so different.  DD is a Pampers baby all the way, but that's just her.  She was also in NB's *forever* but I've heard of some babies who don't even wear NB's in the hospital!

I so know the feeling of wanting it all together.  I am SUPER Type A, but as a friend told me, there is always a Walmart open nearby!  :)  And usually friends and family who are VERY willing to help out with anything in the beginning.  :)

• Oh -- burp cloths!  Forgot to mention those.. you can never have enough of those, IMO.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"