Birth Stories

Scary Birth Story

I posted this in 6-12 months too, but thought i would post here as well.

Here is my story. I was induced on March 31 because they said that my baby was big. On April 1 nothing was happening so they continued to induce me. On April 2 they broke my water and i finally started to dilate. Aound 2 pm the DR came in and said "we will have a baby at 4pm one way or another) (Keep in mind i didn't want a cesearan). Around 4 and dilated to 10 the DR let me push for oh maybe ten minutes and then said she thought i should have CS. There was nothing wrong with me or the baby. But i trusted the DR and went along with it, which was my first mistake. Went to the OR and the they gave me a spinal block - which didn't take. So i basically felt everything! Luckily, our little girl was born healthy and happy at 8 lbs 9 oz. (I am 5 feet, but i still don't think of that as a big baby). After i saw her for 2 seconds they but put me out to stitch me back up. We stayed at the hospital for four days, in that time i didn't not have a bowel moment and was throwing up. They realsed me to go home. I went home with the baby and for 9 days suffered through back pain, no bowel movement, still very extended and vomiting. I called the dr and went in and they said it was normal. I went in to get the staples and they again said that it was normal and i was just constipated. I could barely hold me baby because it hurt to much. On the 9th day of being home my ML forced me to go to the ER. I was admitted and they did an CAT Scan. I have 5 gallons of puss drained from my tummy. The next day they opened me up to see where the infection was.  The opening goes from right under my breasts to my c-section scar. They washed my organs and still could not pin point where the infection came from. But decided that I had paratinitis and was septic. They let me rest one day and then went back in to "wash" my organs again, this time they found a small perferation in my uterus which could have been the source of the infection. The DR could have nicked me when she did CS. I was slowly going downhill in the ICU and was but on a ventalator and laid with my stomach open for a week. After a week they said they were going to go in and close me up. Back into sugery i go. They call my family, they can't close me up. I am helicoptered to a hospital in Chicago. There i was in ICU with ventalator for 2 days and they they did another sugery to make sure the infection was gone. They placed me on a wound VAC to help close my stomach. I stayed for 2 weeks and the went home with the wound VAC, IV's and tired DH. We made it through. On June 15th i had my last surgery where they closed me up. It has been very painful for me to think about this time, i couldn't hold my baby, i couldn't BF my baby, Even after i got closed up i still couldn't pick her up. Because of the wound and mesh in my stomach i look 4 months pregnant. Everyday people ask me when i am due and it makes me sad. I don't know if i can have more children or if we will want to as it scares my DH to death that he could lose me. I know hpw lucky i am to be here and have healthy daughter and loving husband. But sometimes i just get so mad because it didn't have to be like this. Because of this situation, i have lost some of my memory, i have no feeling in my upper left thigh becuase of the Heprrin shots, and my emotional state is not the same because i feel guilty for the time i missed with my daughter, and the huge sacrfices my family and my DH and family had to make.  I know i am blessed because i have a healthy wonderful baby girl and supportive loveing husband, but sometimes I get SO mad becau it didn't have to be like this.  The only other good thing i learned is to take everyday for what it gives you, you never know what it going to happen tommrow and trust yourself and what your body is telling you.  Thanks for letting me vent.

Re: Scary Birth Story

• Hi there, thanks for sharing your story. I was wondering if you would be willing to share more of your story with me? If so, please email me at [email protected], and I can explain my interest in your story. Thanks!"

• It is so sad that you had to go through that. You are obviously very strong for surviving all of it. I hope you recover quickly and can start making up for that lost time with your little girl!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh, wow!  I almost don't even know what to say!  That is terrible, and I am so sorry you had to go through all of that. 

Don't feel bad that you are angry, even though your baby girl is doing well and your DH has been a sweetheart.  Don't let anyone discount your feelings about it by telling you that all that matters is that your baby is healthy.  Your reaction sounds totally normal to me, and I can't imagine not being angry after your experience.  I really think it might be worth your going to see a counselor to help you work through this traumatic experience.

Your little girl is precious, by the way.

• thanks for sharing that story...it scary to think about the possibilities when ttc but I appreciate you making others aware of what can happen...God Bless you and your wonderful family!
  • I am sorry you had to go through that. I don't blame you for being angry. I had a scary birth experience too and almost died during delivery. I wasn't "out of the woods" until another surgery 3 months later, and I experienced the whole range of emotions.  Everything you have described is very normal from other women I have talked to with similar experiences. 

And your DD is so precious - the cutest little baby I think I have ever seen!

• I am so sorry! That must have been very difficult for you and I have alot of respect for how strong you're being. Remember that you can't go back in time hun, but you can make up the time with your baby now and before you know it you'll forget you were ever apart.
  • I'm glad everyone is healthy..at least the new year means a fresh start.  Don't worry about lost time with DD because she won't even remember and she'll still become just as bonded and attached to you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I am so sorry that this happened to you and to your family!  I do have to tell you that I had a VERY similar experience with abdominal infection after my c-section and went through a ver y similar battle to yours.  My son is now almost 2 years old and I still struggle with the emotions of it all.   I will tell you, however, that I never thought I would want to have another child after going through what we did but I am starting to get to the point now where i really do.  I hope that is reassuring to you because I was really emotional about feeling that way.  I took a VERY long time and found a new Gyn. who could better explain what happened to me and how it could be avoided if we were to get pregnant again......that has really helped.  Did you happen to develop Chorioamnioitis during your labor?  I did, and it is believed that that is what started the entire infection. 
  • Wow. Thank God you were persistent in finding care for yourself. Unfortunately no one knows youself like you do, and when someone else won't take your word that something is abnormal, it is very frustrating. Thankfully this story ends with a positive note and that you will get to take care of your daughter. Good luck.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am so glad you are still alive. I think you should check out psychcentral.com, I used that website to help me cope through something i went through, maybe it could help you?
  • I got chills reading your story. You have every right to feel the way you do. I'm glad everything turned out ok-that is very scary!
  • What a roller coaster you have been on! I'm so sorry this all this happened. So sorry if this isn't something you want to share but are you guys taking legal action against you old doctor? I mean all of that stuff couldn't be cheap. Im glad that you shared this story to show that you CAN and NEED to question your doctor...I learned that because of past doctors that haven't always had my best interest at heart. Good luck and I hope you have a safe recovery!
  • Oh my, thank you for sharing your story.

I hope you continue to recover safely.

• Thank you for sharing... my prayers are with you and your family. ((muchos grande hugz))
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"