Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Adding Dawn to the wash?

I think I need to get rid of some detergent build up in my BG's and I wanted to try using Dawn.  Do you add it to the fabric softener compartment?  Also, what type of Dawn do you use? 

TIA!!!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Adding Dawn to the wash?

• Options
    Add it to the detergent area, or just stick it in the machine.  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    And rinse, rinse, rinse, and when you think all the bubbles are gone, rinse one more time!
    Photobucket Abby............12.27.07
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks.  I have a sanitizing setting on my lg tromm so I think I'll use it on that.  Oh, and how much do you use?
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Use a teaspoon for a front loader, tablespoon for a top loader.  Make sure you use the original blue dawn (forgot that in the original response!).  Good luck with the stripping! ;)
  • Options

Thanks for reminding me - I need to do this too!

• Options
    When people say original blue dawn, can it be the 'concentrated' kind?  I have never been able to find it regular strength.  If yes, how does it effect how much should be used?
  • Options

imageBlovesB:
    When people say original blue dawn, can it be the 'concentrated' kind?  I have never been able to find it regular strength.  If yes, how does it effect how much should be used?

I think that's what I call original - I believe I've used the concentrated blue dawn.  sorry! 

• Options
    I don't think it's supposed to be concentrated.  If that's all you can find, you should use much less.  I was able to find the original kind, so I know they still make it.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    When I add it (once every week or so), I just add like 3 drops to my cold wash, do my hot wash as usual and one warm wash (this is extra for me).
  • Options

If you have trouble finding original Dawn try your local dollar store/ general/ tree. They almost always have the original non-concentrated kind. The concentrated kind is really hard to get a good measure on because it's SO concentrated.

Personally though, I don't use dawn anymore when I strip. I have hard water and could never get it all out and it caused worse stink issues that I started out with. I ended up having to boil the dawn out and wasted a ton of water first. Hot water is the most important part of stripping. The hotter the better. Anything else you add to the strip is just a bonus. 

• Options
    *Smurfette* So, you say the hotter the better when stripping, but I have FB and they say to wash in cold or warm water only. Will stipping melt my FBs? I've never stripped before and I'm wondering if the temperature will really affect my stripping? (Ooh, that came out wierd LOL) TIA!
  • Options

You shouldn't boil PUL because the extended extreme temperature can ruin it but an occasional hot wash isn't going to hurt it. I have 3 pockets - a fb, hh and bg 3.0 and I have ALWAYS washed all of them on a hot/cold cycle with no problems. And since I've fought the ammonia issue several times I've also dumped a couple pots of boiling water into my stripping washes with no ill effects to the pul.

You really need hot water for stripping because it breaks down the buildup in the diapers (which is the whole point of stripping in the first place). Cold or warm water won't cut it, even with Dawn. Dawn is a degreaser so in some cases it can help to break down the buildup but unless you scrub the diapers by hand it's not going to do much if you just toss it into a regular wash cycle. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"