Eco-Friendly Family
Options

baby wearers - a question

When your baby was 6 weeks old, how much time/day would you estimate you were wearing her?  I get worried that I'm not "holding" her enough sometimes and then other times I get worried that I'm doing it too much!  I know that she'll let me know if she wants to get out, but I was just wondering what other people do (have done).

Re: baby wearers - a question

• Options
    I wore DS probably 3-4 hours a day, DD1 pretty much all day, and I'm wearing DD 2 about 2-3 hours. Just do what feels right for you guys. There's not a right or wrong answer. And I don't think you can hold them too much, especially at this age.
  • Options
    I agree with pp, I don't think you can hold them too much at that age. I held or wore DS almost all day at that time, still do?image. The only time I didn't really hold him was if he was sleeping in his swing or playing on his playmat.?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If he wasn't sleeping we were probably always holding or wearing.
    47 months &
    11 months
  • Options

Thanks, ladies!  I feel much better now.  I think I need to come over here for parenting advice in the future.  It seems like there are more people whose feelings are in line with mine.  Sometimes I read posts on other boards and feel bad - like I'm hindering my child's development or something because I'm not raising her to be "independent" and do things like self-soothe when she wakes up in the night or learn to sleep in her own crib.  I get worried when people post about how co-sleeping will hurt my marriage and drive a wedge in between my DH and I. 

In my heart, I know that there is something to be said for teaching DD that her needs will be met as soon as possible and that "independence" is not a reasonable goal for a 6 week old baby.  I know that she is comfortable and well-fed despite the facts that I have no idea how many ounces of breastmilk she's getting each day or that she is in her Moby for most of the day.  I also know that waking up in the morning with our beautiful, smiling miracle of a baby in between us is making my DH and I closer.  But, sometimes my head starts questioning my heart.  Thanks for making me feel better!

• Options
    I wore or held DS all the time and we still have plenty of days where he won't let me put him down or he won't stray more than a foot from me.  After reading Dr. Sears though, I've come to the realization (after 10 months of his particular behavior) that he's probably high need which is not a bad thing.  And knowing that in itself has made life so much easier because I can handle his needs a lot easier when he's making constant demands some days.
  • Options
    imageberty12777:

Thanks, ladies!  I feel much better now.  I think I need to come over here for parenting advice in the future.  It seems like there are more people whose feelings are in line with mine.  Sometimes I read posts on other boards and feel bad - like I'm hindering my child's development or something because I'm not raising her to be "independent" and do things like self-soothe when she wakes up in the night or learn to sleep in her own crib.  I get worried when people post about how co-sleeping will hurt my marriage and drive a wedge in between my DH and I. 

In my heart, I know that there is something to be said for teaching DD that her needs will be met as soon as possible and that "independence" is not a reasonable goal for a 6 week old baby.  I know that she is comfortable and well-fed despite the facts that I have no idea how many ounces of breastmilk she's getting each day or that she is in her Moby for most of the day.  I also know that waking up in the morning with our beautiful, smiling miracle of a baby in between us is making my DH and I closer.  But, sometimes my head starts questioning my heart.  Thanks for making me feel better!

You said it best yourself!  You are a great  mommy.  Do what you know is right for your baby.

• Options
    imageberty12777:

You're doing great! I've found that our hearts are always right. Always go with your gut. 

• Options
    Wearing - probably 3ish hours a day. Holding - basically all day! There were a few hours where he'd be napping in his swing or playing on the floor a bit so that I'd get a break but other than that, someone was generally always holding or wearing him. I agree with all the pp's, you can't hold a baby too much! Soon they'll be big like my 'little' guy and you won't have the opportunity to snuggle with them anymore so enjoy it now!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"