Eco-Friendly Family
Options

How did you make cloth wipes?

I'm mostly curious about what type of fabric you used and if you made them single or double ply. I don't have a surger, but my mom does if I decide to do them that way. Otherwise I'll probably just do some simple stitching with a folded in edge (for double ply) like I saw in a PIP the other day. I bought some flannel scraps to play around with and test out my new sewing machine (I'm pretty much a beginner, though I've been known to sew simple patterns in the very distant past...lol).

Do you use flannel, knit, terry, or something else? One or two layers? Thanks!

image
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: How did you make cloth wipes?

  • Options
    two layers of cotton flannel.  i stitched them together, leaving a hole, turned them right side out and top stitched all the way around near the edge.  i made mine smaller than most (about 4x6) and i really like them.
  • Options

    I made mine double sided flannel.  If I'd had access to terry I probably would have used that for one side, to help with poopy diapers.  Stupid small town with nothing but walmart :(

    I stitched with right sides together, turned, and then topstitched.  I also made mine really small (6.5")- I would definitely make them bigger next time.  The plus is that since they are double sided they are way more absorbant than the baby washcloths, so they do as good a job or even better. 

    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine are about half and half two layer flannel and flannel/terry.  Like others, I sewed them right sides together, then turned them right-side out and topstitched.  I think I cut mine 8.5" square, so they're a little smaller than that all done.
  • Options

    I turned and topstitched like everyone else.  I did some flannel/flannel and some flannel/terry.  I prefer the flannel, but DH prefers the terry.  The flannel was definitely easier to work with (and less expensive) than the terrycloth if that makes a difference to you. 

    Mine are about 8x8, but my next project will be to make some smaller ones for the diaper bag (probably 4x8).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"