Cincinnati Babies
Options

No maternity insurance

Hi ladies!  I'm normally just a lurker on the nest boards, but I have a pregnancy related question and I figured this would be the best place to ask.  My DH and I made a decision a couple years ago that we would wait untill 2009 before we start TTC.   Well a few days ago we were informed that our insurace coverage will change at the beginning of the year and we will no longer have any maternity coverage.  We have both waited patiently for this year to arrive and I feel like we had a giant wrench thrown into our plans.  I guess what I'm trying to ask is if there are any other options out there.  Is it possible to pay for all the costs associated with a pregnancy out of pocket?  Has anyone ever been in this type of situation before?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image

Re: No maternity insurance

• Options

AFLAC has some policies that will pay for hospitalization.

Most providers will give you a total of what you will pay OOP and let you pay in installments during the course of your pregnancy.

Also, you should check with your benefits administrator if there is an option to purchase a maternity rider. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I work at Christ (not in this dept) and I remember seeing this on their website and thought it was a great option for those uninsured.  I did not use this service, but I did deliver at Christ and loved it there.

https://www.thechristhospital.com/?id=62&sid=1

Hope that helps.

Mason Louise
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Before I could get on my group policy at work, I had individual insurance with a maternity rider. ?The maternity rider was twice as expensive as the premium without it (about $175/month). ?I would really look into getting the maternity rider though. ?If we did not have it we would have had to pay over $18,000 for the birth of DD. ?That includes doctors visits, a normal vaginal delivery, epidural and the hospital stay for both of us. ?I would hate to pay that out of pocket. ?Look into the rider now before TTC- they have a 9 month wait before they pay out for obvious reasons. ?
  • Options

Wow, I'm really sorry your company is doing that.  I'm guessing you and your DH work for the same company?  If not, could you switch to the other person's employer's insurance?  Pregnancies and births are not cheap.  I had a vaginal delivery with a vacuum.  The delivery and hospital stay were over $10,000, not to mention all those prenatal appointments, blood tests, ultrasounds, etc.

I've never heard of that program at Christ Hospital.  It's probably worth looking into, but be careful.  We lived in Pennsylvania when I got pregnant and I accidentally went to a free clinic.  Long story short, it was covered by my insurance and I didn't realize it was also a free clinic until I got there.  There was a food pantry in the lobby.  The new patient questionaire asked if I had running water and a working oven.  It was run by the hospital where I would have delivered if we hadn't moved.  The quality of care at that clinic scared me.  It was a great option for people who really had no other choice, but it definitely wouldn't ever be my first choice.  Now, the program at Christ Hospital might be way better and more reputable.  At least it sounds like you see actual doctors instead of only nurses and they expect you to pay something.

Honestly, I can't believe a company would take away such an important benefit.  If you're not able to get insurance through some other avenue and you're not comfortable with the Christ Hospital program, I think I'd look for a new job.  Pregnancy and childbirth is stressful enough without worrying about how you're going to pay for it.

I really hope you're able to get this resolved and stay on your TTC schedule!  Please post more often and keep us updated!

• Options

That really stinks.  Why they're doing that is beyond me.  Ditto pp about seeing if there is a rider or if AFLAC can cover it.

The state of Ohio has some sort of program for women and their future babies that don't have coverage.  My SIL used it, and she delivered at B North and went to her usual OB.  I don't remember what it was called, but it something to do with Well Baby / Healthy Start, etc...  I'm not sure how that would work with your regular health insurace, but it's worth looking into.  Good luck!

• Options
    I am only going to say- get insurance. Pregnancy is very unpredictable. I was having a routine pregnancy all the way up until the latter part of the 2nd trimester. I started swelling to the point where I lost all feelings in my hands. I was admitted at 32 weeks and had Katie at 33 weeks. Our total hospital bill was around $250K!!! Luckily, we had great insurance where we didn't have to pay much out of pocket. I don't want to scare you, but you do need to take these things into consideration. Get something on the side even if it has a high deductible. It will be worth it in the end just in case something develops.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Katie: 1/16/08 2lbs. 15oz.
    Abby & Emily: 12/31/10 6lbs. 2oz. & 5lbs. 7oz.
  • Options
    Definitely get it. Insurance is not something you want to screw around with when you're already pregnant! A rider is worth looking in to. My pregnancy was uneventful until 30 weeks, and after twice-weekly non-stress tests for ten weeks, four extra ultrasounds, and induction, three epidurals, and a vacuum delivery, we racked up close to 31k once all was said and done! I am sorry to hear this, though. What bad news when you were just getting all excited to TTC!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Ditto PP's.  My DH was laid off shortly after we found out we were expecting our second child--he now has a new job/benefits and we will be covered, but so far we have had to pay everything out of pocket.  It hasn't been too bad for my regular visits, but the hospital stay and anything unpredictable that could happen is obviously where things would get very expensive--luckily we will be covered by the time that rolls around. 

Also, when DH was first laid off I looked into the Christ Hospital plan that was mentioned and made an appointment and everything, and then found out through more research that they are a learning clinic.  You are in the care of students.  It's also definitely not a free clinic, as you are still paying a $2500 fee for your doctor's visits, etc.  I am not sure if this includes labor & delivery.  Christ Hospital is very reputable and the students are being supervised by actual doctors, but I was still not comfortable with this and decided to just go ahead and pay out of pocket so I could see the doctor I wanted to see and hope for the best with DH getting new benefits.  I suppose it would be a good plan though if it were an only option.

Ava Caroline 8.27.07 I Charlotte Grace 5.18.09 I Lila Katherine 1.20.11

• Options
    Thanks ladies!  DH was able to talk to the benefits administrator at work (I'm on his plan, I work for a small business that does not offer insurance) and they are working with use to get the coverage that we need.  Although it will cost us quite a bit more, it will be worth it in the end.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"