Eco-Friendly Family
Options

At wits end with CD- Please help!

I've posted a few times in the past few days and several of you have been nice enough to offer some suggestions/ideas. But I need a really big brainstorm:) I am so frustrated I had a big cry last night over my leaking/wicking diapers. That's pathetic! So here's the story:

?We recently switched from Kissaluvs to BumGenius

My son is 3 months old and the Kissaluvs worked PERFECTLY until he outgrew them

At first the BGs were working great- even overnight with just one insert

I accidentally started washing with a detergent that contained soap (arg). I switched to a CD-safe deterg and the problems began shortly after.

?So I stripped...

With Dawn (in washer, didn't work)

3 Very hot washes with water heater turned up (no deterg, didn't work)

A little bleach (no deterg, didn't work)

Calgon (even though we have soft water, just thought I'd try)

And lastly, hand washing dipes and scrubbing with Dawn (feeling very much like Cinderella.)

?

Scrubbing helped the most but has not solved the problem. Problems are only when he's on his back. Sometimes wicking, less frequently a real leak. He usually makes it to the 2 hour mark but not to the 3. Last night we tried the Medium setting on the BGs and two inserts. Wicking after about 6 hours.

?

I'll take any suggestions/ideas! If you're the one to solve my diaper problem I would love to send you a little something in the mail to say thanks. Joey (DS) will be grateful too!

?

Re: At wits end with CD- Please help!

• Options
    i know some women in here have had luck with boiling their diapers
  • Options
    Is the PUL & lining touching where the wicking is?  PUL will wick if over damp/wet, and it may not be a stripping problem.  He may wetting more now.  I found that a fitted under a wool soaker is what finally got us thru the night.  All other dipes are changed after no longer than 3 hours.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    thejennigirl- Wicking is happening along top edge. So yes, I guess PUL and lining are touching. Inserts are wet but not soaking. I just can't believe that a little 3 month old is peeing that much! Thanks for your response.
  • Options
    I say sell the BG's and get some Cricketts or other fitteds.  You know what to expect with them and they aren't nearly as finicky.
    Photobucket Abby............12.27.07
  • Options
    Are you 100% sold on doing pockets? We are still using the KL0's, and love them, but she is about to outgrow them. I am going to be using mainly Thirsties Fab Fitteds. More absorbant than the KL0's, softer, but still a great fit and I just love fitteds. I think pockets are more trouble than they are worth!
  • Options

I agree with Jenni...he's just wetting too much is my guess.

For overnights we use a bamboozle and wool. Sometimes longies/shorties, sometimes a cover. We haven't had a leak yet with this system. 

During the day I will use some pockets, but I'm not a huge fan of them. We like the thirsties fitteds, kissaluvs (she's still in the 0's, but we have the 1's for when she outgrows them), and mutts. 

• Options
    get rid of the BG's.
  • Options
    Maybe try the kl1's... since the smaller size worked so well, maybe it is the fit/fabric. Sherpa holds onto pee a lot better than most pockets, it just takes a long time to dry after washing. (bG's sometimes wick for us too, I think I need to strip just the microfiber.)
  • Options
    I think you ladies are on to something- he might be a heavy wetter. His stash is not complete yet so I am going to order him some KL1 organics. I think I am going to keep the BGs for now for daytime use. I might try a hemp insert with them if we still have problems. I have some GMs for nighttime. We won't have leaks with those because it's about 18 lbs of diaper!
  • Options

Yeah, I agree, try something besides BG for nighttime.  We use HPs, double stuffed for night time right now.  I would be nervous using a BG w/ both inserts...I'm sure he would leak w/i 6hrs.

I'm getting so sick of our pocket dipes.  Within the past few days, I have boiled everything (including the pocket part, which I wouldn't necessarily recommend just yet, but I was desperate).  We'll see how it goes over the next few days w/ these freshly stripped diapers, but I'm really considering going to pfs & fitteds or BG organic AIO (we have one of these & it seems to not get stinky like the pockets, I'd guess b/c it's not microfiber). 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"