Birth Stories

Baby Girl arrives before Induction (long)

I always loved reading this so here's my story.

I was put on bedrest for preterm labor (dilated to 2 cm) at 32 weeks.  I slowly progressed to 3 cm by 36 weeks when I was taken off bedrest.  We expected our daughter to arrive right after I was taken off bedrest but she had other ideas.

At my 38 week appointment we scheduled an induction for 39weeks1day (Monday, December 1)because although I had progressed nicely, she didn't seem in any hurry to come. 

On Friday, November 28 DH and I decided to go on a date night to enjoy our last days just the two of us.  We saw 4 Christmases and went to a local seafood place.  During dessert, I started having very strong cramps.  Felt like menstrual cramps so I wasn't worried but we watched the clock anyways.  They were about 15 minutes apart so we decided to continue our evening.  I laid down when we got home and they lessened in intensity so we headed to sleep.

Around midnight, I woke up with the pains again.  I laid there about an hour just watching the clock and trying to relax and rest.  I still didn't think it was labor.  After an hour, I woke up DH and we started timing.  The pains were about 8 minutes apart.  We walked around the house, did some light picking up in the kitchen.  Just trying to get my mind off the pains.  Around 2:30, I was starting to be really uncomfortable so we called the doctor.  She said to come in that it sounded like I was in labor.  The ride to the hospital was awful.  The pains started coming a lot faster and stronger.  I told DH that if this wasn't labor, I was in big trouble cause this HURT.

Got to the hospital and I was already 6 cm.  I begged for my epidural.  The nurses hurried to get my IV and fluids.  Luckily, it was the eve of a big rivalary football game, so no one was in labor and delivery.  It was just me and one other patient who was sleeping.  Got my epidural and felt better - the IV actually hurt a lot worse than the epidural.  I was 8 cm at this point but my water hadn't broken. 

I rested for an hour or 2 then started feeling pains again.  Nurse said that pressure was normal but I insisited this was more than pressure.  Sure enough, my epidural was wearing off and I was starting to feel everything again (my worst fear).  They ended up having to take out my first epidural and give me another one altogether.  As soon as it took effect, I was told it was time to start pushing.

I tried really hard to push, but I couldn't feel anything and was completely exhausted from no sleep and all the pains.  The doctor came in and said we might have to use the vacuum.  That was all the encouragement I needed.  I would do anything to avoid that.  So I pushed with all my strength for an hour. 

Allison Kathryn was born at 11:50 am.  She was 8lb4oz.  We have been home a week now and are adjusting okay.  She seems to be most awake at nights and sleep all day.  We're working on how to flip flop those two. 

Hope you enjoyed my story. 

Re: Baby Girl arrives before Induction (long)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"