Cincinnati Babies
Options

Traveling and Guilt

There is a conference I really want to attend for work this year. I would be gone 3, maybe 4 nights. I can't swing this feeling that I would be doing a complete disservice to DD by leaving her (most likely with my parents if DH wants to come with me).

She'd be 20 months old by then. I'm sure some of you can knock some sense in my head and tell me by this age she'll realize she wasn't abandoned if I left her for a few nights. :-)

I'm having a really hard time with this decision and I know it shouldn't be that difficult.

For those of you who spent several nights away from your kids at a young age, how did it go?

Re: Traveling and Guilt

• Options
    The youngest I left Ryleigh she was about 15 months and I was in Vegas for 6 nights.  She stayed with my mom most of the time and a couple nights with my sister.  She did fine, eveything worked out great.   
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had to leave DD for a 5 day business trip when she was 11 months.  I think the time away actually made me appreciate her a lot more.  I took a laptop and a webcam with me so we could still talk to each other every night.   I don't know if that's an option for you.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

DH travels from time to time for work (he's actually away right now).  The girls do just fine.  They are now at the point where they ask about Daddy and realize that he's gone - but it's not crushing or anything.  We also recently did a weekend away and had my parents stay with the girls.  They did awesome. 

It's okay to go away for a few days.  Your child will miss you, but it's nothing to feel guilty about. 

• Options
    We left Ryan for a weekend with my parents when we went to Cali for a wedding. We had planned on taking her with us but the more we thought about the long flight, we decided to leave her at home with my parents. They actually ended up staying at our house so her routine wasn't changed too much. I actually think it was harder for us than it was for her because she was perfectly fine! Good luck with your decision I know it is tough!
  • Options
    DH and I left Niko for a Vegas weekend when he was 20 months old.  He did fine.  My mom also came and stayed at my house, so that helped. 
    Married 12.27.03

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

We haven't left Piper yet, and I can totally understand your hesitation, I would be stressed about it too. The first and only time we've been away overnight was when I was in the hospital after having Kady (even then she saw us every day), and I was so worried about how Piper would do with our parents (esp. since they live out of state and she doesn't really know them well) but she was fine and they loved the time with her. 

If I was in your situation and had a work event I really wanted to attend, and reliable family members to watch her (assuming we didn't have Kady) I would definitely talk myself into doing it.

• Options
    It's great that you can leave her with your parents!  It's actually very good for them to stay with Grandma and Grandpa.  She's going to have fun!  I left my son for 3 nights just before he turned one and then for one night a month later....he stayed with Grandma and Grandpa and he did great!  No worries, if you wanna go, go....Many people (like me now that I live here) don't even have that option.  Definitely take advantage of it! 
  • Options
    I left DD about three weeks ago for three nights to chaperon the senior retreat with my high-schoolers. I was able to stop home and visit her once, but she was with DH. She didn't seem to mind and was very happy to see me when I got home (clearly I missed her more, though....:)).
  • Options
    Now you guys are making me feel guilty. ?DH and I are going to Vegas for 4 days in January when DD will be 3 1/2 month old. ?:( ?My mom is watching her (at our house) and she can't wait. ?I'm sure I will miss her a ton but I am excited for the vacation.
  • Options

I think she would do fine if she was with grandparents.  If you really don't want to leave her that long, then make a family trip out of it and your DH can watch her while you are at the conference.  That is what we do with DS when I have conventions.  DH loves the time but I still get to see DS when it is over.  I have not left DS yet over night b/c he still wakes to nurse and he doesn't want anyone but me (we have tried having my mom stay here and he won't go to her or DH at night, UGH!).  Good luck in what you decide but I know she will have fun!

Our kids are 19mths apart and we LOVE it!!

Married to my BFF on 8.13.05 (after dating 5 years)!

DS born 2.14.08. DD born 9.30.09.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"