Cincinnati Babies
Options

Question about CIO. Exactly how long do you let them CIO?

Evan has been really off schedule lately and we are trying to get him back on.

Last night we tried to lay him down and CIO but I could not take it after 10 minutes or so.  I mean are you really suppose to let them scream and cry till there little lip is quivering(?) for more then 10 minutes?  H thinks we should let him go till he eventually tires out but I feel like he is going to vomit the way he is crying.

Thanks.

Re: Question about CIO. Exactly how long do you let them CIO?

• Options
    I don't have any experience with CIO, but whenever Ava decides she is going to put up a fight about going down, I'll rub her back or her head until she falls asleep - but she stays laying in the crib while I'm doing this, I won't get her out.  This was the best alternative to CIO for me - I also wouldn't have been able to deal with that, so this is how I helped her transition from being rocked to sleep every night to going down on her own.
    Ava Caroline 8.27.07 I Charlotte Grace 5.18.09 I Lila Katherine 1.20.11

• Options

We usually do a form of CIO/Ferber.

Start by letting him cry for 7 minutes, go in - shhhh im/pat him on the back, tell him it's time to go to bed, and walk out. Then go in 12 minutes later, repeat the process, then 15 minutes, repeat. KWIM?? So the time between when you go in stretches out each time you have to soothe him.

It never takes very long. GL! I know it is tough...

• Loading the player...
  • Options

CIO is hard.  You have to do what Melissa suggested above - wait a certain period of time the first time (5-7 minutes), and gradually increase the amount of time you leave between visits back to their room.  Like wait 5 minutes the first time, 10 minutes the second, etc., but never go longer than 20 minutes between visits in there.    I have also read that they key is to keep your visits to their room "brief and boring".  Go in, pat them, comfort them, tell them it's time to go to sleep and DON'T pick him up.  Make it a boring visit for him.  The idea is twofold, I think -- he gets tired of crying, and the times you come in his room are boring anyway, so he goes to sleep.

When we first did this, it only took a couple visits into Justin's room before he was asleep, and I don't think it took more than two nights to get him back to normal.

It is HARD.  Seeing that lip quivering SUCKS.  They cry when you leave, but you have to walk out anyway (if you are committed to CIO).  DHs are big talkers -- mine does the same thing.  He tells me to shut off the monitor and let him go, but I cannot do that.  Listen to your mommy instincts.

Justin Thomas joined us on 8.4.07
    Tyler Anthony arrived on 9.21.09
    imageimage
    imageimage
    The Chronicles of Justin and Tyler
  • Options
    We did CIO until E at least learned to fall asleep in the crib (took about 2 to 3 weeks I want to say).  We did intervals.  We checked on him after 3 minutes and then the next time we went 5 and then 7 and so on and so forth.  But after a while, we would eventually decide it wasn't worth it if he kept crying and we would rock him to sleep, but honestly after a few days he got the hang of it and would only need to have us come in once or twice and eventually he learned to do it himself.  A crib toy helps with it though IMHO.  We use the rainforrest soother.  He just lays there and looks at the light and the little critters and listens to the music and is out quickly (and quietly).  Good luck!  It was one of the hardest months for me!
    Mr & Mrs - 10/15/05
    Elijah Matthew - 5/3/07 ~ Adalyn Rosemary - 3/23/11
    imageimage
    *Photos by Kacy Cierley*
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    We also did a modified form of Ferber.  3,5,7 mintues and so on.  I highly recommend reading the Ferber book.  I got it from the library.  It has wonderful, factual information about kids and sleep.  I really learned a lot!  It was tough to listen to him cry for those couple of days, but he doesn't cry anymore at bedtime and that is wonderful for all of us. 
  • Options

We let DD cry for 15-30 min (depending on how intense the crying is). If she hasn't self-soothed by then, we tend to her.
    It's rare that she hasn't quieted herself within that time frame.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"