Birth Stories

F/U to VBAC encouragement... I did it!

About a week ago I had asked for encouragement for attempting a VBAC. Some of you asked me to share my story because they were wanting to attempt the same thing. Well, I was successful and I'm sharing my story now...

I started having contractions on my due date, Nov 17th. They started out like little twinges of pain, but were coming pretty consistently. They gradually increased in intensity through the night, and by 4am, I knew we needed to call the hospital. They said to come on in but don't rush, so I took a shower, then DH took one too and of course, took what seemed like the longest one he's ever taken! Finally, we were ready to go. We deopped off our son at my parents, and got to the hospital at 6:30am. I was at a 2-3, and asked for an epidural, which I got at around 8:30am. That was "magical" and I was able to rest and talk with DH. I dilated to a 6 and got stuck there for what seemed like an eternity. (That was exactly what happened last time and what caused me to end up with a c section- That and an incompitent midwife who just wanted to get the show on the road for her own benefit... So much for the natural midwife route!!! This time I went for a doc who was know to be in favor of VBAC's)...

Long story short, the epi started to wear off at around 7pm, so they rebolused it. The nurse had said that she thought the contractions weren't strong enough to make any changes. I kept thinking the doc would order pitocin, but he didn't- I'm so thankful for that now due to the increase of uterine rupture with the use of pitocin with a VBAC, but at the time, I didn't care because I wanted to avoid another section at all cost...

My mom had been waiting to come all day, but hadn't been able to because there was no progress so we asked her to bring out 2 year old in because we thought we were in for a long night and hadn't seen him all day. About 10 minutes after they rebolused the epidural, the doc and my mom got there. The doc checked and said "you're complete. Let's try pushing"!!! We couldn't believe it because we had been waiting all day!!!

So after 30 minutes of pushing, we welcomed our baby girl into the world, at 8:22pm. I had to have an episiotomy, but that's worth it compared to the c-section option!!!

I encourage any of you who are considering a VBAC to go for it. The doc said (while he was stitching me up) that 90% of those who attempt a VBAC are successful!

Re: F/U to VBAC encouragement... I did it!

• That's helpful to know because I have been thinking about what to do for my 2nd and if I should "risk" a VBAC
  • I replied back to you on Third Tri. I'm so proud of you. I really needed the VBAC encouragement b/c there are so many repeat c's on here. I really hope that I can post this same post next time. Congratulations on your healthy baby and VBAC!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the VBAC story. I am determined to have one this time but I am very nervous the same thing will happen with my first pregnancy. I got to 7cm DS had decreased HR so they didn't want me to go any further since he was in distress so I got a section. It will be almost 3 years in between so hopefully things will go well. I also blame the epi some what so I am going to try very hard to go without one.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Congratulations!!  I am very happy for you. I was looking forward to reading your story. 
  • Congrats to you and thank you for sharing!

• Congratulations!  I am so happy for you!  It's wonderful to read this story, and it gives me a lot of hope--I'm attempting a vbac in July.  Hope you are feeling well, and best wishes for a happy life with your newest child!
  • Congrats... Thank you for your story. Im going to try a vbac in june.. My doctor is really not for it but thats what i want.
  • belladee08... I wouldn't worry about what your doc thinks about a VBAC not being a good idea- unless of course there is a preexisting condition that they think could compromise a healthy baby... Some docs just think another section is "safer" because it avoids lawsuits, etc if something were to go wrong. I encourage you to go for a VBAC!!! Good luck!
  • Thank you so much for sharing this story! I am determined to have a VBAC next time and your story is just such an encouragement!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"