Eco-Friendly Family

DS and solids help...?

DS is on veggie number 3 and still pukes it up or attempts to each time.  First, it was avocado, then sweet baby peas, now carrots.  He's tried the veggies in small cubes, slightly chunky and as a puree.  He doesn't like them.  And tonight he tried to keep his mouth firmly shut.  But, he kept pointing at our food.  So, I went and got him a piece of pasta.  He wouldn't try that either.  He just wanted to play with it.  He shows "interest", but now I'm beginning to believe that interest is just a desire to play with it.  Any ideas?  I hate dinner time right now because all he does is scream through it and point but won't or doesn't want to eat. 

I should also add, he will reluctantly eat oatmeal if I give him a tablespoon or so.  He's been eating oatmeal for the past month.  DH suggested experimenting and give him a jar of food.  I'm reluctant to do this because it seems alot of moms have babies that prefer that over the homeade once they get it.  I'm beginning to equate Gerber baby food=baby crack.  And I really would like to stick with homeade if I can so I know that he's getting good fresh food.

Re: DS and solids help...?

• what fruits have you tried?

my son is going through this phase where he doesn't want to be spoon fed, he wants to feed himself.  if i give him his own spoon to hold it's easier.  maybe try that.

• We haven't tried any fruit yet.  I haven't decided on one to try yet.  Plus, I don't want him to only have a preference for fruit over veggies.  But, he always has a spoon or something in his hand.  In fact, we rarely leave the house with a kitchen utensil of some sort for him because he freaks out without one.
  • Loading the player...
  • Just to make sure we're on the same page - you delayed solids until recently right. So you're just starting solids.

I don't have a ton of experience here but here are my thoughts. If he shows interest in something I'd give it to him and let him play with it. That might progress to his trying to taste it. If he likes oatmeal even reluctantly then keep giving him that - it's a higher fiber so you should be ok with him eating that exclusively as a solid right now. Then try mixing something in with the oatmeal like sugar free or homemade applesauce to see if he'll accept something new.

Have you tried any fruits yet?  I know veggies are higher value nutritionally but getting him interested in eating is really the goal. Once you do that you can work on trying other things. A good sweeter veggie that's usually a winner is sweet potato. It was actually ds first veggie and he loved it.

I honestly would avoid the jarred foods. I don't know about the prefering it over fresh in the long run but I know the reverse was true of ds. When we occassionally give him a gerber meal or when we were visiting the inlaws and they forced jarred food on us - ds was not a fan. And I don't blame him. Have you ever tasted that stuff - it's sick, honestly. 

Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ditto the PP, i'd try fruits to get him interested.  once you start getting some success, you can mix a lot of fruits and veggies together (pears and green beans, etc) so it won't be as sweet.  do you mix BM in with your purees?
  • Yeah I did delay solids until recently.  I have figured out that DS does have problems with dairy based off when I eat it, which has been a lot lately with the holiday season here.  I have to cut back on milk products or start drinking lactaid again.  I think I will give some fruit a try and some sweet potato.  I don't know anyone other than DH that's not fond of those.  And I will definitely stay away from the jarred food.  I probably had it when I was a baby myself, but I can't stomach the idea now.  That stuff smells horrible everytime I've been around other babies eating that stuff.
  • image*speedracer*:
    ditto the PP, i'd try fruits to get him interested.  once you start getting some success, you can mix a lot of fruits and veggies together (pears and green beans, etc) so it won't be as sweet.  do you mix BM in with your purees?
    Yes, I do mix BM in with the purees.  And I've tried them to make sure the taste isn't conflicting and they're really sweet tasting.  Sorry, if that's an ick factor....
  • imageSapphyrEyes:

Yes, I do mix BM in with the purees.  And I've tried them to make sure the taste isn't conflicting and they're really sweet tasting.  Sorry, if that's an ick factor....

Ha - I don't think there's a bfing lady alive who hasn't tasted bm at some point! Heck, I'm fairly certain dh tasted bm thinned purees!

Another thought - photonut probably has the most experience with this.  Her daughter is late in getting into solids and has shown little interest in starting (I believe they think it might be allergy related). I would imagine that she's tried some things that we haven't thought of and might have some insite into the matter. You could try paging her with the same question in case she doesn't see this.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I don't know if this has been said yet. ?But I have heard that BM is sweetish so that transitioning to fruits can be easier. ?You might want to give them a try. ?DS wasn't keen on veggies at first but he likes them now )after we tried fruit too) ?I have also found that ds really like yogurt and foods with a bit of cinnamon in them.
    47 months &
    11 months
  • luvlie is right, BM is pretty sweet.  I think the whole "if you feed fruits first you'll ruin the appetite for veggies" thing is not a hard and fast rule.  you have to go with what works for you and try not to stress about it too much.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"