Houston Babies

Rent or buy a breast pump?

Anyone rent a breast pump from woman's hospital?  I'm delivering there, and I think they have them available, but havent' really looked into it yet.  I'm trying to dedide whether to rent one for a month and then buy one, or just buy one before baby gets here.  Any advice?  

If you bought one, which one do you recommend and why?  Thanks!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: Rent or buy a breast pump?

• I rented one at Memorial Hermann..  I was glad that I did.  I ended up renting it for the entire 4 months that I BFed...  I tried a PIS that a friend let me borrow and didn't like it at all..  Pumping was really hard for me.  Only the hospitals grade pump and hand pump worked for me..  I was gald I didn't waste $$ on the PIS...
  • i rented one from the milk bank at texas children's. the hospital grade ones are super expensive. i ended up taking it back after a few weeks because i had a low supply and wasn't getting enough milk for dd. if i had bought it, i'd have been out a lot of $$$$.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I bought the Lansinoh double electric pump from Target.  I don't have issues with supply and I only use it once or twice a day.  That being said, I am considering pumping more because it seems so much easier than BFing with the damn nipple shield.  I am sick of it.  The Lansinoh is about half the price of the PIS and the milk does not go into the pump at all, I like that a lot.
    Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • Check with your insurance company.  Most have a "moms" program that gives you a big discount or a free breast pump. 

I have the Medela Pump & Style Advance.  It's completely contained within a backpack for protability and like others no milk enters the pump.  Simply take the breat attachement off and wash.  It's great if you are going to be pumping at work or out somewhere.

• I borrowed a friend's Medela Pump in Style and ended up using it for six months.  I exclusively pumped so it got quite a workout and had no problems. 

• I love my Pump in Style Advanced. Still use it once everyday.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I exclusively pumped with the Lansinoh double electric pump and loved the pump.  I never had any problems with it and it is half the price of the Medelas and completely worth every penny.  I recommend this pump to everyone. 
    imageLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I pumped for a very short time because I had supply issues, and all I used was the rented hospital one, so I can't chime in on brands.

However, I do suggest that you rent one first to see what your situation is, then buy after the baby is born.  You may have supply issues in that you won't really be able to breastfeed.  You may have latch issues, so that you'll need a stronger pump.  God forbid, your baby might have health issues and not be able to feed off of the breast for whatever reason, and you'll have to exclusively pump.  Or you might have great supply and no latch issues, so a hand pump will be fine.

• imageNanner:

I pumped for a very short time because I had supply issues, and all I used was the rented hospital one, so I can't chime in on brands.

However, I do suggest that you rent one first to see what your situation is, then buy after the baby is born.  You may have supply issues in that you won't really be able to breastfeed.  You may have latch issues, so that you'll need a stronger pump.  God forbid, your baby might have health issues and not be able to feed off of the breast for whatever reason, and you'll have to exclusively pump.  Or you might have great supply and no latch issues, so a hand pump will be fine.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I ended up renting a hospital grade pump AFTER buying a PIS Advanced...and still didn't end up being successful at breastfeeding....so I really wish I hadn't invested in the PIS.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I used, and will again, the Medela PISA. I didn't have any issues. Plus when I needed new supplies or had a piece break off it was very easy to replace.
    Crazy Christmas Kids!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"