Infertility

Spin off of Tarah's post re: "merry christmas"

Since it seems many of us are either Jewish or not very religious I am curious.  Does it bother you when people you KNOW and know you very well wish you Merry Christmas? It's obviously not a huge deal in the scheme of things, but it always kind of irks me.  Especially people like DH's family (Catholic) who all know I am Jewish.....I just find it odd.  I wouldn't go up to them and wish them a Happy Hanukkah! lol I think the bigger "issue" is that if they know me and they say that to me if feels impersonal and like they don't really give a crap, they're just going through the motions you know?

We tend to send out just wintery holiday cards and last year they had a pic of our dogs in front of our tree (I know, but DH was raised with one and I think it's pretty lol) and it said "Happy Holidays".  DH's dad actually called to complain/razz him and was like "what's up with 'happy holidays?'" Um...I'm not sending out Merry Christmas cards, but if you like this year I can send out all Hanukkah cards! lol

Ijust don't get some people.

Re: Spin off of Tarah's post re: "merry christmas"

• I'm not personally offended if someone wishes me a Merry Christmas, even if they know I'm Jewish, because my family has always been very secular/non-religious (we have always had Christmas trees, even though both my parents are Jewish). I am, however, careful to not say Merry Christmas to someone I know is a practicing Jew, Muslim or other non-Christian religion. We always send generic holiday cards because a lot of my family is more religious than the immediate family and no one has ever complained. Last year we made holiday CDs for everyone and tried to get about 1/3 hanukkah songs to balance out (since about 1/3 of the recipients were Jewish).
    *** It's funny because I'm fat ***
  • Some of you ladies brought up a good point - something I never thought about. We aren't religious by any means and I guess I say "Merry Christmas" because I was raised that way.

So, I guess I'm guilty of going through the motions as well. I don't send out Christmas Cards or anything but we do have Christmas. Wow! We're weird - our poor kids.. LOL

• Loading the player...
  • If I know the person I am giving the greeting to is Christian, I make it a point to say Merry Christmas as I am a religious person and the Christian aspect of Christmas is very important to me. ?

If I am unsure, I say Happy Holidays. ?I worked in retail for many years and often had to offer some greeting upon the person paying. ?I always thought it better to be safe; I certainly do not want to insult anyone who does not celebrate Christmas.?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • FWIW I think we're talking about two different issues here.  I would never be insulted (and I'm not sure insulted is even the right word for people I do know) if a stranger or someone who didn't know me well enough to know my religious preferences or lack there of, wished me a Merry Christmas. It's the people who DO know I'm obviously not Christian I find it insulting, less on the religious terms, but more on the 'you don't even care that I don't celebrate that and are just saying that without even thinking'.
  • imageJCM052707:
    FWIW I think we're talking about two different issues here.  I would never be insulted (and I'm not sure insulted is even the right word for people I do know) if a stranger or someone who didn't know me well enough to know my religious preferences or lack there of, wished me a Merry Christmas. It's the people who DO know I'm obviously not Christian I find it insulting, less on the religious terms, but more on the 'you don't even care that I don't celebrate that and are just saying that without even thinking'.

I would have to agree with you on that. If they KNOW your beliefs and tend to ignore them I would find that insulting too.

• Not sure if your FWIW was in response to my post, but I do agree with you; it is insulting to intentionally wish some one a greeting for a holiday they do not celebrate; I never said I disagreed with you.

But, in terms of my safe than sorry philosophy- ?There are people that DO get insulted by a "Merry Christmas" if they are not Christian- even if it is delivered by a stranger. Again, worked in retail for many years and have seen this first hand. ?And hey, can't blame someone for that; I am sure to them it might feel as if I am assuming everyone is Christian; ?that, I would imagine, is insulting.?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh gosh no, Smilee, it wasn't your post! I was just clarifying because I didn't want people to think I was being too sensitive or picky and it seemed like the conversation was going towards having to not say merry christmas at all  b/c someone might get upset. I was just saying that I'm not like that, but I'm sure some people are, like you said. :)
  • I don't know if I'm offended.  Honestly, I more chalk it up to ignorance if it's someone who should know better, but, I have to say, it rarely happens.  However, it does bug me a bit when strangers say it when I'm walking around with a big jewish star around my neck.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"