Breastfeeding
Options

So let me get this right....

DD has been STTN lately (9 hours last night) and I wake up in pain and leaking.  Am I correct in thinking that I should not pump in the middle of the night b/c that will just make it worse?  The past couple nights I have just been dealing with the engorgement. I pump one side while she feeds off the other in the morning b/c I do need a stash (I work 2 days a week).  I wouldn't mind pumping in the middle of the night to build the stash and relieve my discomfort.  But I think I remember reading that it will only make your body think you need milk in the middle of the night.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: So let me get this right....

• Options
    Yes, you're right.  If you pump in the middle of the night you're telling your body to still make milk at night.  If you just put up with the engorgement for a little while, your milk production will decrease at night and you won't wake up engorged.
  • Options
    Mine has since stopped becoming so engorged. I still wake up really full, but they no longer hurt and barely leak!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    you can pump a little bit if you want to build your stash. but yes your body will keep making the milk if you pump/nurse at night. you could just pump to relieve the engorgement until you get enough in your stash and then stop pumping.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Yup.  Unfortunately.  If you want to build up your freezer supply and don't mind getting up, you can pump.  Otherwise, buy some nursing pads to keep somewhat dry and give it a few days (maybe a week).  Your supply will adjust and be fine again.  Not fun.  Sorry!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"