Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Poll: Your favorite things that you've changed to be Eco-Friendly!

I know we've done this poll many times, but I still love to see all of the things that people have changed and are loving! Plus, I feel like we've had lots of new faces lately(YAY!), so I thought it might be helpful for everyone who is just trying to make some changes!

1. What are your favorite changes you're made to be more eco-friendly?

2. What have you done that you never thought in a million years that you'd do?

3. What has been an incredibly simple change that you can't believe you didn't make sooner?

4. What have you been itching to try or change but haven't done yet?

5. Favorite resources(other than this board;) for EF ideas - blogs, sites, books, magazines, etc?

Re: Poll: Your favorite things that you've changed to be Eco-Friendly!

• Options

CDs! 

CDs, again! 

3. What has been an incredibly simple change that you can't believe you didn't make sooner?

Well, not totally simple, but we just changed our shower heads to low flow ones and got dual flush toilets and saved 500 gallons of water in one month!  AND, we get a hefty rebate from our city for the toilets!

Cloth wipes

5. Favorite resources(other than this board;) for EF ideas - blogs, sites, books, magazines, etc?

I really just use this board and whatever recs you lovely-ladies have! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

1.  cleaning supplies and cloth diapers

2.  cds

3.  filtered water instead of bottled

4.  i would like to use more natural bath soap and body lotion, but i have to use up the ones i have left first

5.  i use the ideas i find here often, but i really like kiwi magazine, and "raising baby green" (sorry i forget the author)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Cloth (Diapers, Wipes, Napkins, Hankies, ect)

CD

Using vinegar & baking soda to clean instead of harsh cleaners

We want to install rain barrels for watering the gardens.  And whenever we remodel the bathroom, I want a grey water toilet to reuse the laundry water.

Google.  It's my best friend!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

1.  Cloth diapers.

2.  Cloth diapers, again

3.Hmmm... . cloth wipes

4. getting rid of the paper towels- we ave cut down a LOT, but still use them

5.  i love this board and reading all the blogs- don't have a separate book or mag

• Options

1. What are your favorite changes you're made to be more eco-friendly?  My new ceramic-coated frying pans/cook-ware.  It works BETTER than teflon, is easier to clean, and it's so nice to be rid of the carcinogen-leaching teflon-coated pans.  It wasn't that expensive either!  ALSO buying 2nd hand clothes and fabrics and then up-cycling these into baby clothes, presents, and other necessities.  I'm really starting to love sewing as it allows me to turn something someone discarded into something new and useful.

2. What have you done that you never thought in a million years that you'd do?  Using cloth wipes to phase out my dependence on paper towels, baby wipes (we'll see about this one....DH is very opposed), and make-up remover wipes.   Also, I've just bought some cloth menstrual pads & fleece breast pads.  That was a big stretch for me, but turns out...I love them!

3. What has been an incredibly simple change that you can't believe you didn't make sooner? Composting...got one for my BD last year, and it's no big deal to seperate the scraps and take them out once in a while.  I use an old plastic coffee can with a sealable lid that keeps smells in and fits neatly under my sink.  ALSO - freecycling.  LOVE this...I can get rid of whatever I'm not using and it goes to someone who can get more use out of it.  The best part of all is they come to pick it up so it's virtually effortless for me!

4. What have you been itching to try or change but haven't done yet? I really want to switch to EF cosmetics...I'm really apprehensive...so vain!  Also, shampoo & conditioner, soap etc....it's a process, though.

5. Favorite resources(other than this board;) for EF ideas - blogs, sites, books, magazines, etc?  thesmartmama.com , my 7th Generation newsletter, the EWG's cosmetic database, and best of all: the library!  I've also seen several excellent documentaries on TV which have then led me to do more research and make further changes.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I don't feel entirely comfortable answering these, as I'm still an EF rookie. But I loooove reading all your answers and it's giving me ideas and encouraging me!

1. What are your favorite changes you're made to be more eco-friendly? Cloth diapers - we were using a service with prefolds, and now I'm trying out several kinds of CDs to find the ones we like best, so I'll be washing them myself from now on.

2. What have you done that you never thought in a million years that you'd do? It's not that I thought I'd never do it, but I just didn't think about CDs and other EF habits in general, until I got pregnant. It's amazing how your mindset can change when you know you are creating a human.

3. What has been an incredibly simple change that you can't believe you didn't make sooner? CDs, I guess (since it's the main EF habit I've started!). It's been a lot easier than I thought it would be.

4. What have you been itching to try or change but haven't done yet? Cloth wipes - I'm going to the store today to pick up some baby oil and more baby wash cloths. Also, reusable bags at the store. I have several at home and always seem to forget them when I go grocery shopping.

5. Favorite resources(other than this board;) for EF ideas - blogs, sites, books, magazines, etc? Mainly this site, and your blogs!

• Options

What are your favorite changes you're made to be more eco-friendly?  Cloth diapers and wipes, cloth napkins, reusable bags, walking or busing as much as possible instead of driving

What have you done that you never thought in a million years that you'd do?  I'm using mama cloths - always kind of thought it sounded gross.  Now I find them much more comfortable than disposable pads and since I'm washing diapers anyway it is no extra work at all!

What has been an incredibly simple change that you can't believe you didn't make sooner?  Reusable bags!  It's so simple to bring my own and they are a lot easier to carry if you take the bus or walk

What have you been itching to try or change but haven't done yet?  EF cleaning solutions definitely.  I also really want to start biking to run errands this summer.  I've always been afraid of city biking but it just seems so quick and easy so I need to get over that.

Favorite resources(other than this board;) for EF ideas - blogs, sites, books, magazines, etc?    This board is my best resource!  I also talk about these things quite a bit with friends and family IRL.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

1. We eat mainly organic foods now, even with a tight budget. Soon we will be eating a lot of local, organic foods when our co-op opens.?

We use reusable bags as much as possible when we shop for food.

My DH bikes every where and I try to walk and forgo public transportation. We got rid of our car when we moved to the city. ?

Using Free Cycle.?

2. To use a previous answer.. We got rid of our car. I never thought I'd be able to live without one, but it's not that hard! We are going to be signing up for a local car share that uses mainly hybrids soon.

3. Recycling things we don't want on Free Cycle instead of throwing it out. Using a water filter instead of getting bottled water.?

4. Sign up for a co-op membership. I have the forms and everything, I just keep forgetting to send it in. ?DH and I also want to try composting.I want to also switch completely over to EF cosmetics, body products, and cleaning products, as well as switch to mama cloth when AF shows back up.

5. ?I read a lot of books from the library and I like to check out blogs. Google is also my friend :O)

• Options

I love the everyday things like vinegar cleaning solutions,

cloth instead of disposable napkins, towels, and mamapads, 

and my new laundry routine.

Mamacloth, deffo.  I had my first hive-free period, I was

thrilled beyond belief, and I'm hooked.

I also never thought I'd go back to only a few meatless meals

a week, but that still feels like a sacrifice, not routine yet.

Composting.

EF cosmetics and face products...but I'm vain and a MAC addict :(

I just wander around the internet bookmarking things and

then never going back to them...

Mother's Day, 2011
  • Options

CDing, for sure.  I also LOVE my non-paper paper towels.  

CDing.  

Filtered instead of bottled water; cloth napkins, non-paper paper towels. 

Composting.  I'm hoping to get DH on board with this ASAP.  I have to go slow, though -- he already thinks I've lost a good part of my mind.  

Honestly, mostly the EFF board.  You all are such an inspiration.  

=)

• Options

1. What are your favorite changes you're made to be more eco-friendly? cloth diapering, cloth wipes, re-usable bags

2. What have you done that you never thought in a million years that you'd do? I never thought I'd be cloth diapering and making my own wipes solution.

3. What has been an incredibly simple change that you can't believe you didn't make sooner? The re-usable bags!!

4. What have you been itching to try or change but haven't done yet? I've wanted to switch from paper towels to cloth towels.

5. Favorite resources(other than this board;) for EF ideas - blogs, sites, books, magazines, etc? none
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"