Working Moms

XP: Any Pulmicort users out there? a little long, but please help

So, after 4 treatments of Albuterol/Xopenex, we were put on Pulmicort.  The reason we've used Albuterol in the past was because DS would pick up a cold at daycare and his airways would react causing him to sound like there was rattling in his chest.  The doc says he's wheezing, although I don't hear that squeaky/wheezy sound, I just hear chest congestion, but I also don't have a stethoscope.

He also coughs like he's really trying to get the junk out of his chest, but he usually just swallows it all back.

So here we are again...another cold.  but this time the Pulmicort should have PREVENTED the wheezy sound, but it's back again.  The same old rattly sound.

We're already going in for a follow up on Monday (for ear infections, ugh), but I just need some thoughts from you guys out there...

Why do you use Pulmicort and has it helped?  When you used Albuterol, did it help??  (I don't think this ever helps, but in the pedi office, they do the treatment and say "oh yeah, he sounds SO much better".  And it discolors his face - turns it a little yellow.)

So, mother's instinct says that we don't need breathing treatments at all and that he just needs to get this junk out.  I think we are at the age/weight where we can do a little robitussin (not w/o pedi approval), so I'm going to ask about it on Monday.  But we've tried everything else...humidifier, steamy bathroom, etc. 

Also, we have seen a Pulmonologist, but of course he didn't have a cold that day so she said he was fine, we'd do the standard tests and follow up in 2 months (which is now about 2 weeks away).

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: XP: Any Pulmicort users out there? a little long, but please help

• Same thing happens with my boys.  If they get a cold chances are it turns to wheezing and labored breathing.  Have they ever done a pulse oximeter reading on your son when he is wheezing?  It basically measures how much oxygen is in the blood.  96 to 99 is considered normal - anything below 95 is an indication of hypoxia.  Andrew was once 85 which is very dangerous.  Our pedi literally ran from the exam room and brought in oxygen then immediately started albuterol on the nebulizer.  She said we were minutes away from ending up in the ER that day.

After the last "asthma like response" (since they don't diagnose asthma until a child is at least 2) our pedi suggested daily maintenance medication.  We use Flovent.  The idea is as you said, to keep the airway open so breathing isn't impacted.  It's not a guarantee though.  Our pedi suggested keeping them on it through the fall and winter. 

Long story short - I think getting a pulse ox reading while he's wheezing would tell you whether your son just gets a little squeaky sounding when he's congested or whether he is experiencing restricted breathing.

Good luck!

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• imageluvmagoldn:

Long story short - I think getting a pulse ox reading while he's wheezing would tell you whether your son just gets a little squeaky sounding when he's congested or whether he is experiencing restricted breathing.

Good luck!

Yep, we've had the pulse ox and the lowest ever was 96.  Ugh, just one more day then we'll follow up with the pedi again...  Thanks for your response.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"