Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Am I the only one now super sensitive to child abuse?

Not that I didn't cringe when I'd hear about child abuse before, but ever since having ds, the image of child abuse stories I hear get stuck in my mind and they upset me.

For example when my ds was only a few weeks old my best friend told me a story in her news about a couple who neglected their newborn so much that the baby died.   I guess the woman was going to work complaining about the "little effing monster" at work, so someone called CPS.  They found the baby with buns on his feet from being placed on the hot radiator, malnourished and with tape marks on his face from where they taped his pacifier to his face.  The baby was 1 week old when he died.

Normally that story would've made me sad while I heard it and then I would've moved on.  Now that I have my son I found myself thinking about it when I looked at him and felt great sorrow for that poor baby and have trouble shaking the images right away.  I would think about how that baby must have cried himself to sleep every night, how he was in pain and no one loved him.  It makes me cry to think what if that was my son.  

So I find myself not able to read news stories or listen to people tell stories about abuse because I know I will have trouble getting the sad images out of my mind.  

Re: Am I the only one now super sensitive to child abuse?

• You are not alone it is like something clicks when you have a baby. I have a hard time even reading you tell that story.
  • OMG that's horrible. I cry when I hear that stuff. I always imagine my kids when I hear about that stuff. Breaks my heart and makes me sick to my stomache.
    imageimage

9/24/2011 Plymouth Firefighters 5k: 47:13
    11/12/2011 Diva Dash 5k: 45:45
    5/5/2012 STEM school 5k TBD Coming up in 2012:
    6/10/2012 Walk to Remember SIDS foundation 5k
    (in memory of a sweet baby boy)
    11/10/2012 Diva Dash 5k
  • Loading the player...
  • No you're not the only one.  I burst into tears anytime I see or hear about child abuse/neglect cases.  I just can't stand to even think about bad things happening to tiny sweet little babies!  I also can't handle watching baby-knapping cases on the news because I'll end up crying and not sleeping very well.

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• I am. Stuff like that make me cry. And what a monster. Esp to return to work less then a week after having hte baby and to do all that. Why even keep him then? I don't know how the SO could have let that happen
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Me too.  I didn't like hearing that stuff before.  But, since having my own baby, I can NOT imagine anyone ever wanting to hurt something as precious as she is.  Makes me want to see people like that burn for those crimes!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageLucky_Dragonfly:
    I am. Stuff like that make me cry. And what a monster. Esp to return to work less then a week after having hte baby and to do all that. Why even keep him then? I don't know how the SO could have let that happen

I guess he was arrested for the abuse, too.  They both were monsters.

• Oh my gosh, that's horrible. I am about to cry just sitting here thinking about that poor little angel.  I hope those people hang.

I am absolutely more sensitive to stories like that now, I automatically insert my daughter into it and feel like I can't breathe at the thought of anything like that happening to her.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I am exactly the same way and these stories this morning are KILLING me!  I just wish people would wake up and give their babies to somebody if they aren't going to care for them.  I can't fathom letting DD cry for a couple minutes much less every hurting her in ANY way!  It really breaks my heart and puts me into a depressed funk to read these articles. Crying
  • Sadly, it's the reason I'm switching jobs. I am a DCS case manager, and before that I was an investigator. I'm way too sensitive to it now, and I've become bitter that I'm spending time away from my DD because other people can't appreciate their own little miracles and stop abusing them. I wanted to quit working altogether and stay home with her, but I compromised and took a less stressful job. My last day at DCS is Friday. I feel bad that I won't be helping other children anymore, but the second hand trauma is getting to be too much. I can't stop picturing my own daughter being neglected or abused.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"