Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Mom-to-be with a cloth diaper Q

Hi, Ladies -

I am pregnant with my first baby and I am starting to look into different options for cloth diapers.  I have been researching gDiapers & bumGenius.  Does anybody use any of these?  Any rants or raves about either?  I like the idea of gDiapers where you can flush or compost the insert and you just have to wash the outside.  But I also like how the bumGenius is completely washable so that you don't have to keep buying refills.

Thanks for your help!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Leah - 6.28.09

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lorelei - 4.23.11

Books Read:
2013 - 4
2012 - 50 2011 - 47 2010 - 57
2009 - 71 2008 - 108 2007 - 33

Re: Mom-to-be with a cloth diaper Q

• We use bumgenius and love them!  GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemavs_girl07:
    We use bumgenius and love them!  GL!

What do you love about them?  How many do you have?  Just curiously interested.  TIA

• Loading the player...
  • I haver used both...go for the BG!!! Way easier!
  • I tried out the gdiapers for travel and HATED them. They didn't hold the poo in. They leaked onto the inner part everytime so I had to keep washing them. To me that seemed like much more of a hassle then just using regular cds and washing them anyhow, no trash. Also, it seemed like a lot of stuff to flush, I would be concerned about flushing them often and getting a back up in the system

I use BumGenius3.0s exclusively and LOVE them. I have only had one blow out and I think that was operator error (tired mommy putting on diap at 3am). They didn't start to fit dd til she ws 8.5-9lbs and fit wonderfully at 10 lbs. I just sposies until then though because it was rough getting used to the new baby and lack of sleep and taking care of myself I didn't want to have to be washing diaps too. I have 37 of them and wash every other day. I always have about 10 left over to use while the others are in the wash.

Things you need are: diaper pail, diaper pail liner and cd friendly detergent.

I also use cloth wipes that I just toss in the was with the diaps. I made my own but you can buy them as well.

Here is a link to some detergents:

www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

Also, check out the EcoFriendlyFamily board they are wonderful!

Sorry that got long, hopefully it's helpful.

• imageJAC1027:

imagemavs_girl07:

What do you love about them?  How many do you have?  Just curiously interested.  TIA

I love my BGs too. I have 37 of them. read my other post about this in this thread. But I never have blowouts or leaks and they are just as easy as sposies!

• I haven't really heard good things about g-diapers.

We do use some BGs and really like them though :) They likely will NOT work on a newborn though (most people start having luck around the 10lb mark).

I'd suggest XPing to the EFF board :)

Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker,Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker image
  • imagead*H*ab:
    imageJAC1027:

imagemavs_girl07:

I love my BGs too. I have 37 of them. read my other post about this in this thread. But I never have blowouts or leaks and they are just as easy as sposies!

Do you think they're most cost effective than sposies?  Do you use liners?

• They're absolutely more cost effective than sposies imo.
  • The average baby costs $1200 in sposies. I have spent just less than $600 on my cds and won't spend anymore. Other than a detergent ($5) every 1.5 months. And I'll used these for #2 and #3 as well!
  • imagead*H*ab:

I tried out the gdiapers for travel and HATED them. They didn't hold the poo in. They leaked onto the inner part everytime so I had to keep washing them. To me that seemed like much more of a hassle then just using regular cds and washing them anyhow, no trash. Also, it seemed like a lot of stuff to flush, I would be concerned about flushing them often and getting a back up in the system

I use BumGenius3.0s exclusively and LOVE them. I have only had one blow out and I think that was operator error (tired mommy putting on diap at 3am). They didn't start to fit dd til she ws 8.5-9lbs and fit wonderfully at 10 lbs. I just sposies until then though because it was rough getting used to the new baby and lack of sleep and taking care of myself I didn't want to have to be washing diaps too. I have 37 of them and wash every other day. I always have about 10 left over to use while the others are in the wash.

Things you need are: diaper pail, diaper pail liner and cd friendly detergent.

I also use cloth wipes that I just toss in the was with the diaps. I made my own but you can buy them as well.

Here is a link to some detergents:

www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

Also, check out the EcoFriendlyFamily board they are wonderful!

Sorry that got long, hopefully it's helpful.

Thanks for all of the info!  Can you buy directly from bumGenius?  The website mentions something about an insert - what is that about?

Leah - 6.28.09

Lorelei - 4.23.11

Books Read:
    2013 - 4
  • Oh and how long do cloth diapers last?
    Leah - 6.28.09

Lorelei - 4.23.11

Books Read:
    2013 - 4
  • We use BG.  I have 12 and wash daily.  I really like them.  They are very easy.  I use the little bottle they give you at the hospital to spray off the poo.
  • We got ours from Cottonbabies.com. But if you register at Target, they have them online. We're going to go ahead and use a bunch of giftcards on them.

They come with two inserts. We use the larger during the day and both at night. If we're just around the house during the day we just use the small. You put them in and then take them out after they're dirty and wash them. The large "grows" with the diaper.

• We LOOOOOVE our BG's!
  • imagead*H*ab:

Ditto pretty much all of this -- we love the BG. they're really easy and work wonderfully. we had blowouts several time with disposables, but haven't had any since we switched to the BGs. And she's tried, trust me (wow that kid can poop!). They were too big until she was a little over 8 pounds -- they're still a little big, but we haven't had any problems with them.We got 36 of them, and have to do laundry every 2-3 days.

When I went to get them, I ran into a woman who used the gdiapers at first, HATED them, and was out to get more of the BGs she had fallen in love with.

We got our at treecitydiapers.com. 

• imagemandyclaire579:

They come with two inserts. We use the larger during the day and both at night. If we're just around the house during the day we just use the small. You put them in and then take them out after they're dirty and wash them. The large "grows" with the diaper.

So the inserts are washable as well?  Do you wash them separately from the diaper or together?

Leah - 6.28.09

Lorelei - 4.23.11

Books Read:
    2013 - 4
  • Yes, the inserts are washable. This is the absorbant part of the diaper. Otherwise, all you've got is a waterproof cover and a pocket to put the insert in :)

You wash everything together, but DO remove the insert from the dipe prior to washing.

• This is what I do: Wash all the stuff together (diaper, inserts and wipes), dry the inserts and wipes in the drier and hang the diapers in the laundry room (we have shelving in there) and they dry in about 3 hours just hanging there. I then stuff the inserts back in the diapers and put them in the drawers of her changing table. use the diaper, when I take it off I pull the inserts out and toss the diaper, insert and wipes into the diaper pail. That way when I put them in the wash I just have to dump it all in and don't have to mess with them anymore. BF poo is water soluble and just washes out in the washer. FF poo needs dumped into the toilet and so does poo once you start solids but it just pops right off the diaper, a peri bottle (the one you get from the hospital) works wonderfully to loosen it and make it fall into the toilet without touching it.

I bought some of mine at cottonbabies.com and if you ask around you can usually get a coupon code from someone on here before you order and save 5% on your order. You can also now get them at Target in some stores or online so a registry would be great. I bought some others in person at denverdiaperco.com and saved 10% but I was in Denver so I could do that. There are a lot of places that carry them and a lot of places that give you free shipping.

• Thanks so much, Ladies, for ALL of your advice!  I really appreciate it! 
    Leah - 6.28.09

Lorelei - 4.23.11

Books Read:
    2013 - 4
  •   I like my BG 3 but also like my BG organics as well as my KCK ones and other one size fits all pocket and all in ones.  I thought for sure I wanted pocket diapers but ended up loving my prefolds and thirsty covers.  If you want to try a few differt kinds go to JIllians Drawers and do her $10 trial.  You basically rent a brand new set of diapes- one of each kind.  It isn't enough to cd ful time but you get an idea of the differnt types.  The only crappy thing about it is that CD part time is sort of a pain bc you don't get into the groove- so jsut know it is much easier once you are all set up.
  • ad*H*ab, sorry for all the Qs, but in your above post, do you mean that BF baby poo doesn't need to be rinsed out, just tossed in the washer? 
  • I have been thinking about making the switch and this thread is full of wonderful information.

I know everyone talks about fluffy butts and this is probably a dumb question, but are there any clothes that do not fit over the BG diaper?

IMG_6388
    Kylie 10/21/08
    Twin Ectopic - lost left tube 12/29/10
    Surprise BFP EDD 8/21/13
  • EBF poo does go straight in the diaper pail/washer. It's water soluable, so you won't have any issues doing that.

It's a bit trickier if there's any formula and of course once you've started solids. You'll need to scrape or plop, but I promise it's really not that big a deal.

• imageJenn478:

I have been thinking about making the switch and this thread is full of wonderful information.

I know everyone talks about fluffy butts and this is probably a dumb question, but are there any clothes that do not fit over the BG diaper?

Most people just size up; that's what we have to do. It's really not a big deal.

• imageJenn478:

I have been thinking about making the switch and this thread is full of wonderful information.

Check out this thread that a poster gave me on The Eco-Friendly Family board - lots of great info.

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/9258358.aspx

Leah - 6.28.09

Lorelei - 4.23.11

Books Read:
    2013 - 4
  • imageGreenBride624:
    imageJenn478:

Check out this thread that a poster gave me on The Eco-Friendly Family board - lots of great info.

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/9258358.aspx

Thanks!

IMG_6388
    Kylie 10/21/08
    Twin Ectopic - lost left tube 12/29/10
    Surprise BFP EDD 8/21/13
  • We exclusively use BumGenius and I'm really happy with them!  Very easy to use and no problems with leaks, etc. We have a sample G diaper from gift and I don't like it as much.  It leaks because there isn't good elastic around the legs and its expensive to keep buying the inserts!
  • PS, we used ours right away for our newborn (8 lbs) and they fit him ok

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"