Babies: 9 - 12 Months

BM supply decreased in only one side? Help!

DS is a little over 6 months old and we have been exclusively BF with no problems.  He recently started nursing less and sleeping more at night- maybe 4 hours at a stretch (and unfortunately that is a record for him!)  Anyway, I wake up this morning to find my usually less productive breast way smaller than normal- I always pump after my morning feeding and I hardly got anything from that side.  I just pumped again and got almost nothing.  I dont feel a blockage or have any pain- but I am really worried that my milk is gone on that side.  I am not ready to wean him, so of course I am worried!

Is that possible?  The other side is totally fine, and has always been the better producer.  Any suggestions?

TIA

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: BM supply decreased in only one side? Help!

• Are you close to your period. I usually have significantly less milk for about a week during that time and then it comes back big time.

Plus your child may be weaning himself. Some babies do that. So where as you might not be ready he may be. Plus around 6 months iron supplies deplete. You may want to introduce some formula or rice. 

• I only nurse on one side at each feeding, so this may not work for you if you always offer both, but try nursing on that side only a few feedings in a row and pumping the other side. or if he gets fussy if you don't offer both sides, just start on that side first several times in a row. this may help that side start producing more.

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Just keep pumping it and getting dc to feed on that side. I've been fighting this for awhile. My left side makes about an ounce if I'm lucky and my right anywhere from 4 to 6 oz. DH calls it my "strong" boob. Anyway, I look ridiculous (at least imo), but ds is getting what he needs.
    Mama to D 6.16.08 and C 3.11.10
    Tales of the Wife

imageimage
  • It's not likely that he's weaning this early! DS just preferred the right side bc it's always made more and now it's just more of a problem. The left used to make 2-3 oz, but not anymore. It's been this way for almost 2 months now and we're doing just dandy.
    Mama to D 6.16.08 and C 3.11.10
    Tales of the Wife

imageimage
  • Thank you for the suggestions- we will keep on going!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"