Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Advise a mom-to-be on strollers, please!

Ladies,

We're getting ready to start registering, and for the life of me I cannot understand what to do about a stroller!

I get it that there are travel systems, and then there are strollers ... i.e. BRU has on its web site that there are "regular" strollers available that can carry a newborn all the way up to a toddler.

So which kind did you go with?

Were you happy with your decision, or would you have gotten something different if you could do it again?

Why was a travel system beneficial to you?

And, have you already had to graduate to a "regular" stroller? When did you?

And, if anyone has insight as to a good stroller for tall parents (i.e. one we won't kick with every stride) that would be helpful, too. We're planning to go look at all of them and test them out, but I trust all your experiences to help guide us! TIA!!

Re: Advise a mom-to-be on strollers, please!

• Options
    imageMrs.Zip:

So which kind did you go with? A 'regular' stroller, I suppose. No travel system here. We have the Kolcraft Contours Options 3 Wheeler Stroller.

Were you happy with your decision, or would you have gotten something different if you could do it again? We are very happy with our decision. The seat can face towards you or away, and it can recline. The basket is huge underneath, the wheels are big and can get through anything (i.e. snow), it was inexpensive, and I just all around love it.

Why was a travel system beneficial to you? N/A

And, have you already had to graduate to a "regular" stroller? When did you? N/A

My DH is 6'3" and has no problems pushing the stroller, if that helps. 

• Options

My best advice, check out Albeebaby.com. They have great strollers and most of the prices are closeout.

We have a Fisher Price Voyager.

I LOVE it. It's tall enough that I don't have to bend to push it. Plenty of storage space, the parent tray has a compartment for my keys and phone, and it has a full recline. 

I did have an opportunity to do it again. (We were in a rear-end that smashed my trunk and our insurance payed for a new stroller.) I shopped around for a stroller I liked better and didn't find one.

Travel systems are really bulky and a lot of the time the stroller part ends up being not comfortable.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Everyone has different opinions. A lot of people say to go with a Snap-and-Go.

I personally liked my travel system, We chose Graco Metrolite. The stroller is considered a lightweight stroller rather than a full size. I tried out the displays, and that one felt most comfortable too me. I didn't care for the bulk of the Chicco Cortina or other Graco models.

I also have a Chicco Capri umbrella stroller that I like for traveling. I mostly stick with the Metrolite though.

• Options
    imageMrs.Zip:

So which kind did you go with? Chicco Keyfit Travel system

Were you happy with your decision, or would you have gotten something different if you could do it again? Very happy, although I wish we would have done the carseat that goes up to 30 lbs instead of 22

Why was a travel system beneficial to you?  It is convenient to just be able to pop the seat into the stroller, especially when the baby's asleep, and I like that everything matches.

And, have you already had to graduate to a "regular" stroller? When did you?  No, our DS is a peanut and we're still going strong with this one at 8 months!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMrs.Zip:

Ladies,

We're getting ready to start registering, and for the life of me I cannot understand what to do about a stroller!

I get it that there are travel systems, and then there are strollers ... i.e. BRU has on its web site that there are "regular" strollers available that can carry a newborn all the way up to a toddler.

So which kind did you go with?

We have the Chicco Cortina TS ... and we love it. It was nice not to have to purchase everything separately, and even though we're out of the infant carrier now, it was a 'must have' obviously.

Were you happy with your decision, or would you have gotten something different if you could do it again?

Nope - very happy with our decision.

Why was a travel system beneficial to you?

Everything matches, everything works together. He is out of the infant carrier now, but uses the stroller by itself and it works great. It has so much room to store things but isnt as big as some of the Graco models.

And, have you already had to graduate to a "regular" stroller? When did you?

We have an umbrella stroller (another Chicco), but haven't used it yet. I love the Cortina so much!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    The Mouse ~ 06.12.08 | The Froggy ~ 02.23.11

• Options

So which kind did you go with?  Graco SnugRide and the Snap and Go.  We have a Bugaboo Bee for when she grows out of the infant seat.

Were you happy with your decision, or would you have gotten something different if you could do it again?  Yes, very happy.  We have a small car so the metrolite system would not have fit in the car if we needed to put other stuff in the trunk.

Why was a travel system beneficial to you?  We used the Snap and Go and love it.  Much easier than getting her in and out of car seat.

And, have you already had to graduate to a "regular" stroller? When did you?  Not yet, she is just over 5 months now.  We are thinking we may have to move her up in another month.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I wish I had not purchased a travel system...I sold it soon after DS stopped using the infant seat it came with(6 months).  Using the travel system stroller alone really made me realize that I wanted a better, more durable regular stroller.  I bought the Kolcraft Contours Options 3 stroller that comes with an infant seat attachment.  We also have a Maclaren Volo for quick trips and travel.  I would definitely suggest them both to anyone.
    Moved to Maple Valley, Washington January 2012
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

IMO, just get the infant seat stroller frame for now.

We used the Graco SnugRider Infant car seat stroller frame till he outgrew the seat.  About 7 months.  It worked everywhere we needed it.  It is easy to manuever and carry (important for post c/s) and store.  And inexpensive.  (We also purchased a Kelty jogging stroller because we take walks on dirt paths, gravel roads, etc..)  The snap and go is really all that you need for everyday use.  Now that DS is out of the infant seat, we purchased a Maclaren Quest to replace the snap and go.  We haven't used it too much but so far so good!

• Options

So which kind did you go with? Peg Perrego Piko (sold at BRU)

Were you happy with your decision, or would you have gotten something different if you could do it again? WE LOVE THIS STROLLER!! Plus all of our friends and family members with kids all have told us that they wished they got this system or have switched to it. We have a Jeep Liberty. The Peg is a full-sized stroller that is half the weight of the Chicco or the Graco. It also folds down to half to a third of what the Chicco or Graco do. So it fits beautifully in the back with luggage. You can hold the baby in one arm, pick up the stroller with the other hand open it and close it back up with one hand. The car seat/carrier clicks into the stroller so easily and then the canopy completely covers the baby. The canopy even without the carseat covers significantly more than the other strollers. It drives like a dream. Handles are adjustable. It works for my mother who is 5' and my husband who is 6'2". Without the carseat it has a 5 point harness which is detachable from the back so when your child is able to sit up on her own she can move around safely. This is AWESOME for babies who hate being restrained like mine! Plus it comes in some great colors. Oh! And way less plastic than the Graco or Chicco. The Graco has fake shocks which still doesn't make sense to me.Plus this works with any car seat/carrier with the adapter. Oh, and we have taken this on dirt paths at parks and gravel walkways. We did however buy a Jeep All Terrain Jogging stroller for our more challenging hiking.

The Car seat Peg Perego Viaggio (sp?) SIP 30/30 is side impact tested, has one of the highest ratings you can get in overall safety. It goes up to 30lbs and 30inches (which a year ago was as high as you could go, we just saw that the Chicco can go up to 32 now which is awesome) Even if you don't get the Peg get a carrier that goes to at least 30/30. ALL of my friends and family who went with the Graco ended up having to buy a new car seat by 5-8 months. And then you have to go with a convertible. Its best if you can make it a year with the carrier so that you have more options for the car seat. My daughter is off the charts in height so we are at almost 11 months and getting ready to look at new seats. That saves money. The seat is heavy but super sturdy. It's amazing when you put this seat next to a Graco! This is also sold at BRU.

Why was a travel system beneficial to you? The Travel system was a must for us. We travel A LOT! So we needed something that could pack up nicely that was still sturdy and very portable. Plus the carrier makes it so easy especially in the early months to just move the baby from the car to the stroller while she is sleeping or in bad weather. Plus the carseat attaches actually latches onto most shopping carts. We also had a fire when my daughter was 7 weeks and had to stay at a hotel for a month. She slept in the stroller for the first week with no problems.

And, have you already had to graduate to a "regular" stroller? When did you? This stroller will be her stroller as she gets much older. We won't need another stroller. And since it's the weight of most light weight umbrella strollers, this full-size still makes more sense than to buy one of those smaller ones.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"