January 2017 Moms

Oct Randoms 10/1-10/7

Re: Oct Randoms 10/1-10/7

• Yes! These ADS are getting super annoying. @PMForbie I'm with you, this is like the ONLY place I can go to and escape all the election madness....

<3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks @canavara now I can go on TB without slowing my work computer! You're a genius!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Okay, so I just had the weirdest Drs. visit, and I'm not sure where it should go, so I'm just going to put it here. I'm in a practice with 8 doctors, and you deliver with whoever is on call, so I'm trying to see everyone, so I at least have met the person delivering my baby. I was warned by a friend who also delivered with this practice that there was an odd doctor on the staff, and I think I found her today. So to start off... I am overweight, and have been told by every doctor in my practice that I have seen so far that they are comfortable with me gaining up to 25lbs. As of today (29w-ish), I have gained a total of 16 lbs by home scale, and 18 lbs by dr scale. At my appt two weeks ago, Dr. A said she was "proud" of my weight gain, I was doing great yada yada. Well, today Dr. B comes in and fist thing fusses on my gain saying that I shouldn't have gained any at all this entire pregnancy. Whatever lady - everyone else is good with it, I know I'm not overeating or indulging in hardly any cravings, and I go for daily walks. She lays me down for a listen with the doppler and says "Have we done a growth scan with you yet?" to which I reply, no and why. She says something to the effect of "you're so huge! no wonder you've put on so much weight. You must have a macrosomic baby." So I ask about fundal height and she says I'm measuring 33-34 weeks, and that "if she didn't know better" that she would say I for sure have gestational diabetes (my one hour test # was 102- which is normal thank you very much).

I've previously been measuring a consistent 2 weeks ahead per fundal height, but the other drs. I have seen have said it was nothing to be concerned about. Of course, I ask about what could cause this big of an increase and she says extra amniotic fluid, a uterine fibroid, just a huge baby, or as she stated "of course, you could have twins, which is a possibility with such a huge increase in uterine size." I'm pretty sure that my mouth flew open at that. Then she proceeds to tell me that they will find out at the growth scan, and if baby is corresponding to being as big as my uterus, that she would have me get "my tax deduction for this year with a Christmas baby" by inducing or a scheduled section. Now, I know the day I ovulated (within a day or two) because I was using FAM to conceive (temp charting, cervical position and fluid, opks, etc), and my due date is already a week ahead of where it "should" be based on ovulation. All of that to say 1) I don't want an induction if I can help it, so that bothered me, 2) I will schedule a section only if it is the only way that I can have both myself and my baby healthy, and 3) TWINS?? What the actual F? How could that have been missed by 3 ultrasounds at this point? I feel like a crazy person for even believing that could be a possibility. But this doctor really threw me for a loop today, and I just needed to share, haha! 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker                                       

• @cjs260 Wow...I can't believe you just endured that. It baffles me how different 1-2 doctors can be in a practice but seriously, how often has she seen twins found in the third trimester? Look at the growth scan as a way to check in on your baby but like you said, if none of the other doctors are concerned it's probably nothing to worry about. I bet she measured wrong.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @cjs260 What in the actual f?! At least there are 7 other doctors that could be with you during delivery. Hopefully the baby heard that mess and knows to come on a day when she's not delivering! I know my OB scheduled me for an additional scan to check growth and positioning. He said he prefers to do it with FTMs. Now I'm a little nervous another baby is going to pop up on the screen (even though like you said how could they miss it three times?!). 
  • @cjs260 Man, that is... some real shit. Did you tell that doctor that their opinion is in the minority with the 7 other doctors? I'm kind of worried after having met this other doctor yesterday who is a partner of my OB that I'm going to end up getting delivered by some jackass doctor as well. It makes me wonder if it's worth calling in near delivery time to find out what their rotation schedule is like and trying extra hard to naturally induce labor before that person is on call just to avoid them :lol: (I kid, but I really hope you miss that 12.5% window of ending up with them!)
  • @cjs260 Ummmm what? That doctor sounds a little bit crazy. I would find it really hard to believe that they would find twins this late in the game. Sounds like she just measured incorrectly to me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @cjs260 just wow! Some doctors have really terrible social habits. I might put in a complaint about being treated that way or consult another OB about the things she said and NEVER see her again. 
  • @cjs260 so strange and sorry that happened! I go to a similar group of doctors as you do, and I am also trying to meet them all before I deliver. I feel like in a practice as big as the ones we go to, it is to be expected to have one weirdo. It sucks. I definitely have my favorites but I had an appointment with one once a few weeks back that left me in tears. The doctor you saw sounds a strange and I can't believe she suggested twins???? Like you said, as if three ultrasounds wouldn't have confirmed something by now! I keep telling myself that by the time I am giving birth I am going to be ready to just have the baby out that it doesn't matter who I deliver with, but I kinda hope it's not with the mean lady! haha!
    Pregnancy TickerMe: 26, DH: 31
    Diagnosed with Hashimoto's 06/17
    BFP #1: 05/11/16 DD born 01/01/17, Happy New Year
    TTC #2: 01/2019
    BFP #2 09/24/19--Ended in chemical pregnancy
    BFP #3 07/02/2020 Due: 03/10/2021

• I will add, my practice is similar and you get whatever OB is oncall at the time of delivery. I found that while I didn't have my OB deliver my baby the first time around that looking back, I still would prefer continuity of care prior to delivery because the doctors involvement in the actual delivery was so minimal. Prior to the pushing stage, I'm pretty sure he popped his head in 1-2 times to check in and then when I started pushing he was in there at about the 2 hour mark, tried to scare me in to a C-section, then came back an hour later and had a few other options for me based on where I was. I saw him once or twice after labor. By the time I was in labor and in the hospital, I didn't care that I had never met the doctor.

My practice says that they will rotate doctors for prenatal visits but for the most part it's up to me to ask. I really like my doctor and like that I don't have to worry about figuring out what to worry about based on which doctor I see so I'm good continuing to see her regardless of whether she delivers this baby.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @cjs260 I would make sure to request to not have that OB for any other prenatal visits. I don't get how some doctors think it's okay to talk to patients like they did you and @canavara. We're actual people here, we have brains, we know what's going on. And...twins...at 29 weeks???? Yeah, but no. That would take a whole lot of inexperienced techs and docs to miss. Or Baby B is Houdini.

Me: 33 DH: 38 Married: 1/10/15

1st Pregnancy EDD: 1/1/17 Born 1/10/17 Team Green turned Blue!

2nd Pregnancy EDD: 11/6/18 Born 11/09/18 Baby Boy!

3rd Pregnancy EDD: 12/?/21

Children are like casseroles; it takes a lot to mess them up.

• Thanks everyone for the commiseration. I definitely will not willingly see her again. Since coming back from the appt, I saw that her "specialty" is menopause, so I hope she has very minimal rotation through on call L&D. Also, since I'm at a teaching hospital, I will labor mainly with residents doing my checks, and the on call OB coming in in the case of complications, and to catch the baby. 

I really do hope that she measured incorrectly, because a true macrosomic baby is a real reason for early induction. I've tried so hard to keep my caloric intake low and decided with my favorite OB what that should be so that this didn't happen. 

@christac1010 I really feel like the twins thing is just insane. Like how could we have an entire anatomy scan without seeing a second fetus? That has to be impossible. 

@canavara I'm so sorry about your shitty on call docs too. I reallj wish there was a way we could ensure that we got to deliver with the docs we like. 

• @cjs260 it's things like this that make me lament my inability to gif on mobile. The codes just don't work :(

Every bit of that is a crock of you know what. I would pretty much ignore all of it except getting a growth scan because yay for seeing baby!
    TW: MMC
    BFP1 12/24/14 - EDD 09/07/15 (D/C 8w1d)
    BFP2 6/12/15 - EDD 2/22/16 (D/C 10w3d)
    ———
    Diagnoses and Treatments
    PCOS (myo-inositol, excercize)
    Indeterminant levels of APS IgM antibodies (baby aspirin)
    Sub-septate uterus (hysteroscopic septoplasty 12/18/15)
    ———
    BFP3 05/02/16 EDD 01/09/17 DS born 01/05/17
    BFP4 01/28/19 EDD 10/?/19 🤞🙏

• @cjs260 seriously?! I can't believe a Dr expecially an ob gyn could be so rude and insensitive. I think I would have told her, I have a couple extra pounds this week because I just ate an entire batch of shut the fu*k up cakes and then gracefully exit! 
  • @cjs260 that dr sounds like a nut case. There's one in every group. I wonder if she even measured your fundal height correctly. And the twins thing is insane. 
  • cjs260 said:
    Thanks everyone for the commiseration. I definitely will not willingly see her again. Since coming back from the appt, I saw that her "specialty" is menopause, so I hope she has very minimal rotation through on call L&D. Also, since I'm at a teaching hospital, I will labor mainly with residents doing my checks, and the on call OB coming in in the case of complications, and to catch the baby. 

I really do hope that she measured incorrectly, because a true macrosomic baby is a real reason for early induction. I've tried so hard to keep my caloric intake low and decided with my favorite OB what that should be so that this didn't happen. 

@christac1010 I really feel like the twins thing is just insane. Like how could we have an entire anatomy scan without seeing a second fetus? That has to be impossible. 

@canavara I'm so sorry about your shitty on call docs too. I reallj wish there was a way we could ensure that we got to deliver with the docs we like. 
    So, not to scare you, but I actually know someone who found out in L&D after baby 1 had arrived that they were having twins.  However, I don't think this person had as many ultrasounds as you have and chances of that happening are super rare regardless so I'm sure you it's just that the doctor is nuts! Hopefully you won't have her for delivery!
  • cjs260 said:
    Thanks everyone for the commiseration. I definitely will not willingly see her again. Since coming back from the appt, I saw that her "specialty" is menopause, so I hope she has very minimal rotation through on call L&D. Also, since I'm at a teaching hospital, I will labor mainly with residents doing my checks, and the on call OB coming in in the case of complications, and to catch the baby. 

So, not to scare you, but I actually know someone who found out in L&D after baby 1 had arrived that they were having twins.  However, I don't think this person had as many ultrasounds as you have and chances of that happening are super rare regardless so I'm sure you it's just that the doctor is nuts! Hopefully you won't have her for delivery!
    No freaking way!! Seriously, I cannot even comprehend this. I would think that I'm dying and baby's dying and everything is wrong if I were under the impression that this pregnancy was only one baby..... 
  • edited October 2016
    cjs260 said:

No freaking way!! Seriously, I cannot even comprehend this. I would think that I'm dying and baby's dying and everything is wrong if I were under the impression that this pregnancy was only one baby..... 
    I know, especially in this day and age where technology is so advanced! But yeah, I guess they only had the 20 week scan and somehow the other baby was hiding, and then only ever heard one heartbeat at appointments. I'm sure it's a one in a million type of thing! But since @cjs260 has had multiple scans I would think her chances of this happening are even lower. I can't imagine missing 2 babies on 3 separate ultrasounds. 
  • @karaelaine1991 That is so beyond crazy! For the record, I in no way believe I have a multiples pregnancy. Three scans, only one fetus/heartbeat. I just thought it was insane the doctor even mentioned it as a possibility. 

• Super late to catch up today, but WTF!! I can believe that doctor! The one good thing that can come out of this is that now you can request never to see Dr. Jackass McNoBedsideManner again!
  • DH and I decided that we want to do some family pictures this weekend. DS turns 2 in a few weeks so we will incorporate some 2 yo pictures for him and also do some maternity shots. Now I'm trying to figure out what we all are going to wear without buying new for everyone. I have a few ideas but after looking through DH and DS closet I would have to buy them each something new. We'll see what I come up with.

Pregnancy Ticker

• @carly79 we are doing DDs 2 year old pics/maternity/holiday pics in 2 weeks and I'm in the same boat with outfits. I feel like nothing I have fits or would look good in photos. 
  • Does anyone else's baby hate it when you sleep on your side? Every once in a while, he'll go for it, but most of the time, he starts freaking out when I lay on my side. (I use a pillow behind me so I'm leaning back at a slight angle, and have a pillow between my legs.) I pretty much have to sleep on my back -- elevated, of course, at about a 45-60 degree angle. Has anyone else experienced this? 
  • @rdh33 Definitely! I can't roll over too far or he kicks at the mattress/couch. I can't believe how sensitive he is to even being on my different sides though. On my right side, he'll curl up as far as he can go and pass out. On my left side, he kicks and squirms nonstop until I roll onto my back or my right side. He's such a little stinker. Like how can you already have a side preference?!
  • @christac1010 right?!?! Yep, mine is more keen to the right side, too. He doesn't love it, but if I roll over for a bit, he'll consider tolerating it. Haha! Babies are weird. ;-) 
  • @rdh33 Oh goodness yes. Nonstop squirming and fidgeting on the left side. The worst is getting up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, and laying back down after, knowing in about 10 seconds it's going to be about 20 minutes of nonstop knee jabs to the side. They're so finicky!
  • Yep, this baby kicks like crazy when I'm on my left side. From what I understand your circulation is the best when you're on your left. So he's getting some good blood circulation which causes him to be more active. Also, I think he just likes 'jumping' on the bed....

So the same as some of you ladies, I put a pillow behind me and lay at an angle so I can sleep.... Cause holy crap he kicks so hard it's like a sharp jab to my side. lol
    <3 * Happily married August, 23rd, 2014 * <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @rdh33 haha yes to this, always on the left side. Every night but not everytime though thank goodness.

I also notice that on the weekends, if I try to sleep in even 10-15 mins past my regular workday alarm clock schedule, he starts kicking me like crazy! At least I know if my alarm clock fails, my LO will wake me up a little later lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @rdh33 For sure! If there is any contact with the bed/chair/couch/Dad she is kicking away! 

• Hahaha! Okay, then! Thanks, ladies! I was confused because "they" recommend sleeping on the left side and I keep thinking... how?! 

@HJMorgan LOL to your jumping on the bed comment. So true! 
  • I try to sleep mostly on my left side, but when my hip starts hurting I take a break an switch to my right.  When I get up to use the bathroom, sometimes this will wake the baby up and she will wiggle for a little while.  I never even thought it was because she didn't like my position!  I just assumed I woke her up haha.  I'm going to pay more attention.  One of the OBs said that I could sleep on my right side if I was all the way up on my side almost like I was about to fall towards my belly.  Does anyone else spend time on their right side?

Me: 31 | Husband: 32
    Married: September 2014!
    TTC #1: January 2016 BFP 5/16/16 Quinn Born 1/27/17 

• @cabu14 I spend about half of my night on my right side. I basically alternate sides to fall asleep on every time I get up to pee. LO doesn't seem to be any more/less active on my right vs left side. He just always kicks me as soon as I've settled back down  :)
    *************************************************************************************************************Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Baby doesn't seem to have a side preference, but she consistently kicks when I lean forward. If she's having a quiet day for some reason, I always do that to check that everything is ok :)
    @AlicjaB I love that your baby is your alarm clock - such good habits, already!
  • Seconding what @moosette113 said--I switch sides plenty. I don't really look at the kicks as "he doesn't like me laying on my side" but more that resting on your side brings more oxygen and easier circulation to your uterus so it perks the baby up--I notice he starts kicking when I practice deep breathing exercises as well.
  • My little guy kicks all day long. Up until this point he has been head down butt up and using my bladder as a punching bag. While I was driving I felt him move horizontal, it was so uncomfortable and now I have doubled in width! Hopefully baby decides to flip again before he runs out of room in there! 
  • I honestly am so baffled with you guys knowing where your babe is positioned. I have no clue except sometimes I can tell where his feet probably are just by where the kicks are.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I am in food coma land. DD and I went to a food truck festival. We stopped at lots of different places mainly because I try to encourage her to eat lots of culturally diverse things. We had Argentinian, greek, puerto rican, west indes soul food, and Barbeque. we topped it all off with egg/soy/nut/dairy/gluten free mini donuts, cookies and cream raspberry brownies, and homemade ice cream. She's singing to herself in the tub while I drink tea. We're both going to sleep so well tonight! Haha
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
    Our Rainbow Baby H arrived at 37 weeks on 12/20/16!
    Baby E arrived at 37 weeks on 01/31/15!
    Married my Marine 05.23.14

*TW*
    TWIN LOSS 7.2.15
    BFP 9.7.15 CP 
    BFP 12.31.15 MC 2.28.16
    BFP 10.14.17 CP
    BFP 3.10.18 D&C 4.13.18
  • The weather today has been absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I went to a pig jig today and ate so much BBQ however I am being a grandma right now and currently waiting for an Uber home because I am too sleepy and my back hurts from standing. Also, I think I am starting to freak myself out that baby hasn't been kicking as much and I just wanna go home, lay in my warm bed, and make sure that is not the case lol. Being the only sober person in the group sucks hahahaha!!! 
    Pregnancy TickerMe: 26, DH: 31
    Diagnosed with Hashimoto's 06/17
    BFP #1: 05/11/16 DD born 01/01/17, Happy New Year
    TTC #2: 01/2019
    BFP #2 09/24/19--Ended in chemical pregnancy
    BFP #3 07/02/2020 Due: 03/10/2021