August 2016 Moms

Stupid Sh!t People Say!

Re: Stupid Sh!t People Say!

• Lynnlove28 OMG!!  How horrible for ppl in your family to say that.  I can't even.....
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• I was drinking an iced green tea... my father in law started peppering me about caffeine and said I shouldn't drink it be the baby will have withdrawls... All this coming from someone that smokes 2 packs a day and drinks vodka on the rocks every night. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a co worker who saw me drinking Mountain Dew, (which I had refrained from for quite some time, then just gave in to because we always have a case in the fridge at work) and she said to me, "Why are you drinking Mountain Dew? You never drank it before you got pregnant. You know it's not good for the baby!" I just responded by telling her that I have been drinking Dew for 25 years, and just because she hadn't seen me drink it before, doesn't mean I don't!
    And like so many of the other posters on here, I am Sick and Tired of hearing "oh you'll be pregnant in the middle of summer. You're going to be miserable." I just say "I work in A/C, My car has A/C and my house has A/C. If that isn't enough for me, I'll be doing a lot of swimming, which I love to do anyways!"

• I have an opposite story about stupidity. My mom turned to me the other day and said in all seriousness "did you see the study about how caffeine can cause birth defects or early labor???"  I was like "yeah, I heard about it three years ago when I was pregnant with my toddler". Somehow she thought she was sharing new information and she was excited to tell me about this "new study" she heard about. 
  • My boyfriend's brother's fiance is also pregnant, but she is 2 months farther along than me. When they found out they were having a boy, she said to me "If yours is a girl I'm pushing you down the stairs."
  • LeahK2016 said:
    My boyfriend's brother's fiance is also pregnant, but she is 2 months farther along than me. When they found out they were having a boy, she said to me "If yours is a girl I'm pushing you down the stairs."
    OMG, this made me LOL out of sheer shock. Like, what?
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • LeahK2016 said:
    My boyfriend's brother's fiance is also pregnant, but she is 2 months farther along than me. When they found out they were having a boy, she said to me "If yours is a girl I'm pushing you down the stairs."
    Wow. Apparently someone has a case of gender disappointment! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My boss... who called to make sure I was going to "make it in for my shift today, since I am pregnant and they wanted to make sure I didn't fall asleep on the couch." WTF? 

I have worked here for 5 years and second shift starts at either 130 or 2pm and I have never not shown up. They switched my start time to be 130 without telling me. I was on my way in for my shift when they called...
    *TW Spoiler*

DD: Aug '16

10/2017: Twins confirmed with TTTS at 22 weeks. 
    10/10/17 Twin B passed after in utero placenta surgery
    11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    11/26/17: Twin A passed after 24 days fighting in the NICU
    Benched 6 months 
    BFP: 6/28/18 MC:7/16/18  BO
    BFP: 10/2/18 EDD 6/15/18

• I mistakenly told a coworker the list of names we were deciding on and her comment was "I've heard better". Seriously who says that!  

I do get the "August you will be hot and miserable" comments as well. I work outside and I'm not looking forward to it so thanks for reminding me.
  • I rarely complain about my pregnancy symptoms, it is a personal choice to try to focus on my gratitude to be having my rainbow baby, but, come on, sometimes you gotta complain a little.

If I say anything (usually lower back pain and/or fatigue) there is this contingent of responders who say "oh just you wait until the baby gets here..." with an obnoxious all knowing smirk, and I just want to smack them!  I know my life will change when baby comes along, but I am also allowed to feel fatigued and frustrated with it now. Your non-sympathy smugness does not help.

I also get strange comments about caffeine from my fellow graduate students about my drinking decaf or half-caffeine coffee. Ranging from chiding me for ingesting caffeine to saying "I would due without coffee" or "thar isn't even real coffee, why bother?" - because I like the taste? 

Grr.. I just tell them pregnant women can safely have 225mg of caffeine a day and I gotta save some of that for chocolate.
  • I admit, I am also getting tired of the "you are gonna be so hot/miserable" and the pitying,"oh, you are due at the end of summer?"  I frequently say in my head, 'Why yes, that is when the end of August is.' But I smile and say I know, I have plans for keeping cool.  ((I did just get after my husband for this one today. It is warmer today than it has been, and I said it was too hot to cook for lunch. He started to say "well, if you think it is hot now..." and I stopped him. I don't need to hear it from him, too, and told him so! Haha. He just said OK and smiled.))

I am very annoyed with the "you shouldn't lift/move/do/eat/drink that" comments when I choose to do something I feel comfortable/safe/ok doing. I have already told multiple people to please let me do what I can do while I can do it. I am cognizant of the changes going on in my body, and will ask for help/rest when I need it. I already am asking for help with some things I was comfortable doing two months ago. And I know what I can/cannot eat or drink. I really do.

I know they are trying to be caring and nice, and I am thankful I have people who care, but it really gets on my nerves. Especially the broken record feeling of it.

I haven't had any really stupid ones yet, beyond the annoyances above. When I do, I will be sure to share!
  • " Better you than me" - My SIL when I announced =(
    Baby #3 
    DS 6 yrs, DD 4 yrs
    2 Fur babies
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• I got the "oh an August baby, yikes," today. 

But this left me a little stunned. 
    A co-worker who had a baby last October commented on how I was standing like I was already 9 months pregnant. Then she goes "whatever you do, don't gain weight. Only eat salads and if you do gain weight, no more than 15lbs." She then ranted about how she's had such a hard time and I just stood there like..umm go away. 
    She has also told me in the past to never use diaper rash cream, only use olive oil. I'm going to make a serious effort to stay away from this woman! 
  • @Hannah0726 please don't take her words to heart! That is horrible to say to anyone. You do you, if your doctor is worried you will know. Otherwise, eat up! Also, how does someone "stand" like they are 9 months pregnant? I feel like I waddle some but I don't feel like I stand different.
  • @Snaps816 the fact that she pointed it out makes me cringe. Asking you to cough again brings it to a whole new level of wtf? 
    *TW Spoiler*

11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    Benched 6 months 

• I have one immature male coworker who is about to send me over and edge.  Everyday it is a new comment.  So far I have gotten snide comments like 'are you sure you need that snack' and 'you shouldn't be drinking that Diet Coke' and 'you're really gaining a lot of weight'.  The two most annoying comments from this one were 'you're such a bad driver you shouldn't be allowed to drive your child' and 'pregnant women should not dye their hair, and in my opinion your hair looks bad that color'.  

I don't understand why assholes think they have a get out of jail free card and can say what they want to pregnant women.  They are often excused because they are 'just trying to help' or 'show you they care', but I really think these people are harassing, not helping!  I've had it with bullies 

• tmk0325tmk0325 member
    @AMCooper000 you need the bitch slap button for that woman!! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @AMCooper000 I really hope he isn't married and if he is I feel bad for the poor woman if she ever gets pregnant. I agree with PP he needs a bitch slap. Actually 2, one for you and one for your baby. 
  • lucypodlucypod member
    @AMCooper000  I would definitely say something to HR or management!  No one should ever make you feel uncomfortable in a work environment, but it's even worse if you're pregnant.

@Lynnlove28 I agree!  I think that about so many men... wow you would be an awful partner to a pregnant woman!  One night, one of my guy friends was sitting about 2 inches farther away from a box of tissues than I was when another friend asked us to pass a tissue, and he looked at me and said "you're closer." 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am having a terrible day today. Beyond tired. Standing at my son's track meet for 2 hours on concrete made everything hurt and then I got woke up at 3am with a call from work. I had someone ask me when I was officially due and I told her and she looked at me and my belly a few times and said, "Wow, you have a ways to go, Are you have twins?" I flipped her off and walked away! Sometimes, I think I should have a warning label attached!!
  • This isn't necessarily about my pregnancy, but it's related since we're having a boy.  My grandmother ALWAYS makes comments about how my dad was upset that he never had a boy.  I was actually supposed to be a boy, the docs told my parents I was a boy...blah blah blah.  Well guess what, I came out and I was NOT a boy.  My grandmother tells stories about how my dad was so upset about it, obviously making me feel bad.  Then this weekend, they were over for an early mother's day and she said that my dad was so upset he wanted to give me away for a few days.  WTF?!?!?  I know you're 90 years old, but c'mon, have some sort of censor!  That was really cruel to say in front of both my and DH's whole families during a dinner party that I threw!  See if you get an invite next time.....
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• @SkiChic626 I would be upset over that too! Has your dad ever said anything about it to you? Most older people seem to have no filter, not a very charming quality if you ask me. 
  • I find this time around it's been a lot easier to just completely ignore the stupid comments that people make. The first time, everything was bothering me, especially my mother in law, and what she said before pregnancy paled in comparison to all the crap she did AFTER the baby was born. This time I'm not taking sh*t from people. LOL Fortunately, I haven't had too many stupid comments this time, we just get the "Oh another girl, you going to try for a boy?" And my answer to that is always "Nope! We're done! Finito!".

DH's mom is like, "Oh it would be nice for (DH) to experience a son"... well.... All's I gotta say is too bad. LOL After this baby, I am DONE like dinner. DH is getting the snippity snip and that's all she wrote. Even DH is like, nope, no way! We stop at 2, don't care about a boy! We're done! hahaha
  • Yesterday the receptionist at DS1's hair salon asked if we knew what we were having. I said "another boy!" She said, "oh. Well I hope you're still excited."

Beezo, I am exited. But thanks for inferring my second son is inferior because he doesn't have a vagina. 
    BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • I am getting sick of the "you look tired today" comments. Um no, just because I am pregnant does not mean I look tired. This is my normal face and I don't think I look any different, but thanks for essentially telling me I look like crap. 
    *TW Spoiler*

11/2/17 Twin A & B born 
    Benched 6 months 

• One of the physicians I manage asked me today if I was carrying one or two in there...

I sort of gasped because I was surprised that he asked me that and the Med. Assistant just gave him that look of, "you should not have gone there..."

He says he honestly wanted to know but I'm not sure...
  • On Mother's Day my brother took me to the mall to buy some baby stuff, as we were walking around a (waist trainer) saleswoman asked me did I want to try on a waist trainer. I don't feel like I'm that big yet, it just made me feel so horrible :(  
  • A lady I work with: "Your bump is so cute!" 

Me: "Aw thanks!"

Lady: "It makes your hips look much smaller." 

Me: "Oh...thanks..."
  • Here's a good one from today, when I went in to CVS to buy a birthday card. The 50 or 60 something cashier decided to compliment me on my baby growing skills...cough...

Dumb lady: aww, when are you due?

Unsuspecting pregnant me: August 5!

Dumb lady: ooooh my god, you still have to go through the WHOLE SUMMER. WOOOOOW. are you having twins??? 

Not pleased pregnant me: nope. Just one…

Dumb lady: wow, I can’t believe that! That is going to be one BIIIIIIG BABY.  (in a distinctly concerned tone) What does your doctor say?!!??!

(Because, apparently to this woman I am beyond any normal imaginable size she can conceive)

Irritated me: nothing… I’m seven months. Pretty normal. 

Dumb lady: oh, you know what’s normal for you…

I...walked away. Thanks lady.
  • MrsM13MrsM13 member
    ShanRum3 said:
    We were at a birthday party for my nephew today, and my SIL's Dad mad a bunch of stupid comments about what I was eating... mind you, I had lots of apple slices and some cheese on my plate. I was getting a little bit of caramel to dip my apples in and he tells me "that's how you get fat!" I wanted to throat punch him... He knows I'm pregnant (as is my 18 year old niece who is about 3 weeks behind me) and just keeps saying shit about what I eat. Last month at my great nephew's 1st Birthday party, he stood and watched me eat a small piece of cake, then proceeded to ask me if I REALLY needed that last bite! I just stood there stunned last time, but I was prepared this time. I had told DH before we went over that if this dude runs his mouth to me, I had some choice words for him. I kept my words in check, but I did make some snarky remarks back to him. That was HOURS ago, and it my blood still boils from it!
    Holy crap, my FIL did this for an entire week straight! We all went up to visit hubby's family in Chicago, and I swear, baby was on a growth spurt so I was starving all the time. I ate several small, healthy snacks throughout the day and mentioned how hungry I had been, so every chance he got he would say something like "oh it's been ten whole minutes, do you need some more food?" or "suuure, 'baby' is hungry!" That week could not end fast enough.
  • I hate when people tell me oh baby is ready to come out and I am like no not yet, then they ask when are you due and I tell them August then they are like oh its going to be hot and miserable, I give them the look like did I ask for your opinions. 
  • The august comments are getting old. I've been hearing it from my customers since I started showing. I tell them it's fine, my first was a September baby and I have a pool in my backyard. I plan on enjoying summer. My husband is also awesome about doing yard and pool work when it's too hot for me. 

But my FIL is driving me nuts. Before I got pregnant I lost about 7 pounds. When we announced on Christmas he made a comment about how he thought I'd been gaining weight lately. Gee thanks, I'd actually lost some. Then over memorial weekend he told me I've gained weight in my face, but it's ok, it will go away when baby is born. I was in shock and didn't say much, but I really don't think my face looks any different. He also asks every time I see him how much weight I've gained. My husband knows I'm at the end of my rope with him and I will flip out at the next comment. He said he was going to ask his mom to talk to his dad about it, and I told him not to, I want to take care of it lol. 
    Hopefully it doesn't happen on father's day, and that's the next time I'll probably see him