March 2016 Moms

Nursing Bras?

I bought a few new bras during first tri, and am now outgrowing them again - time to shop again!! What are your thoughts on nursing bras and tanks? Are they necessary, or just buy a bigger, good fitting, regular bra? What are your favorite nursing bra brands or places to shop? I noticed most department stores do not carry nursing bras in store, you have to order them. I don't want to spend a ton of money, any advice is appreciated!  

Re: Nursing Bras?

• I thought nursing bras were a necessity, nursing tanks were not as much. I had 3 from motherhood maternity and 1 from target.  I also tended to leak a lot so wore nursing bras at first while sleeping- they held nursing pads in place but still let me nurse easily during the night. After a couple of months a tank with a shelf bra worked well at night too. I was a/b pre-pregnancy and a c/d for the first 6 months or so. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Nursing bras and tanks are a necessity for me. I have sleep nursing bras in three different sizes that I got from target and Macy's, and I've needed all three sizes each time. I have two regular nursing bras from Macy's that I used a lot after my first and a little after my second. They don't fit too well until after a few months, but I haven't bought bigger ones since they are most expensive.

I have nursing tank tops that I also found at Macy's and I wore them pretty much every day after my second. I found it easier to just wear a tank instead of a bra under my regular shirt and that way if I was in public or around people I could easily nurse without having my whole midsection exposed. It might not be enough support for some, but it worked well for me. 

• Loading the player...
  • I never stopped wearing nursing bras. My first son was born July 14 and I am due with my 2nd son March 5. I didn't buy any nursing tanks. 
  • I think my nursing bras are comfy.  Had I realized how comfy they were, I would have bought some to wear before the baby arrived.  My go to nursing outfit is usually nursing bra, Old Navy tank, then whatever top I wanted.  Top goes up, tank goes down and bra unsnapped and tucked under.
  • I think nursing bras are important and I also loved the tanks with built in bras for the first months. Your size will fluctuate a lot in the first few months so go with something stretchy and comfy until you settle into a size and then buy more supportive "real" nursing bras. I liked the ones from target and nicer ones from bravado. I love the tanks for around the house and sleep because they are less restrictive but can hold nursing pads. Once your supply regulates you can get by with some regular bras too. I found nursing bras all come up really high and show under a lot of my shirts in the front so eventually I went with more regular ones, but I still think they are very worth it in the beginning.
  • If you're going to nurse, a nursing bra is a must.  Go with a soft sleep bra for the first couple weeks until your milk regulates, then go somewhere where they'll fit you for a nice, well-made nursing bra.

I've been wearing the Seamless Nursing Bras by iLoveSia from Amazone for half of my pregnancy. I already went up 2 bra sizes and underwire hurts too much. So I went ahead and bought some nice soft nursing bras that will stretch enough to accommodate my milk coming in after the baby while offering moderate support. I don't plan on going out on the town or anything for awhile.

As far as nursing tanks go, theyre nice to have if nursing in the winter, but for the summer there's no way I'm wearing two layers just to cover my sides. I got a nursing scarf to use this time when I need it in public.

Anniversary

• I agree, if you are nursing, nursing bras are a must.  The sleep bras are great and comfy for the first few weeks and at night time.  Aside from that I love bravado and cake nursing bras. I always opt for ones without underwire after my battles with mastitis and clogged ducts and I like a small amount of padding to hide the nursing pads.  
    One nursing tank would be nice but being so close to summertime I don't think more than one would be necessary.  
  • I got a couple from target during second tri and they have worked out so far. I was so glad I got them there because since I paid less than $20 for them it would not have been a big deal if I had outgrown them quickly.
  • I'm waiting to see if my breasts grow after birth, to even purchase any at size J I'm looking at 50-60 a bra and want to make sure the size is good for functional breasts.  The bras are one aspect I don't even want to think of during pregnancy, brings me to tears.
    BFP 2/11/15 (EDD 10/13/15). MMC 3/30/15 D&C 4/3/15 "We will always love you"
    DD1 - BFP 7/23/15 (EDD 3/31/16).  "We believe in you rainbow" DOB 4/2/16
    DD2 - BFP 2/9/18 (EDD 10/19/18).  "Grow baby grow!" DOB 10/24/18
    BFP 11/16/20 (EDD 7/31/21).  "Round 3 FIGHT!"
  • I second the tears! I have to order a new nursing bra tomorrow under $45 (with shipping). I'm looking for something no smaller than size F, so with that price, options are extra slim.
    The way I see it, I just need something that will fit for a while. I plan to wear DD often in public, so hopefully no one (including myself) will notice how my chest looks. I'm trying to save up for a better quality one once my size fairly evens out.
  • For the moms with bigger sizes, I've been wearing title nine sports bras my
    whole life and all are wonderful. They have adjustable straps which will double as a nursing bra, it's secured by velcro. These bras are expensive but sooo worth it. I've never nursed before but these have stayed with me for years as I've gone up and down in size. Personally, I'm going to order some new ones for nursing. 
  • I go from an A cup to a B during pregnancy and then to a C after my milk comes in. Within a few months I'm back down to a B and then an A. I recommend getting a few inexpensive nursing bras that are large enough to accommodate you while breastfeeding during the early months. The last thing you want is to be wearing a nursing bra that's too small. I have several different styles from Target that I use in the beginning, all of them were $20 or less.

If you're in it for the long haul like I am (nursing for over a year each kid, barely out of nursing bras between children) then I can't recommend a Bravado nursing bra enough! For the amount that I use it, it is well worth the money to be extra comfortable. I prefer to spend the money on those in my typical size though so that I can get more use out of them. :) Nursing tanks are okay and I do sometimes use them, but not essential. Again, I have a few cheap ones from Target. I'm not sure how you could conveniently nurse without a nursing bra though!
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I second Bravado nursing bras (and tanks)! I have been wearing them since August '13. They got me through 22 months of breastfeeding and through this pregnancy. I found out I was expecting just a week after I stopped bf, so I never stopped wearing nursing bras. They are comfy and still fit even with a changing body. Personally, I like the tanks for sleeping. 
  • Hi ladies!  I'm an April 3 mama lurking on the March board today, but I had to put in my two cents about nursing bras.   I am a 36DD not pregnant and the bras that worked the absolute best for me were from....drum roll please...WALMART!  They are inexpensive AND available in stores without having to order online.  I tried several other, more expensive bras before landing on these and I won't be going back.  I like how they support each breast individually so that one isn't just flopping there while you're nursing on the other side.  I'm almost 34 weeks with DS and have already reverted to these since I've outgrown my normal bras.  At only $13 a piece, you can get several different sizes if you need to as your breasts change.  They can be washed and dried without getting messed up.  I have about 5 of them from when DD was born 2 1/2 years ago.  I BF her for 13 months and I probably won't be getting any new ones for DS because they're still in great shape.  No, they aren't frilly and pretty patterned, but they serve their purpose well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Loving-Moments-by-Leading-Lady-Maternity-Wirefree-Sport-Nursing-Bra-With-Padded-Comfort-Straps-and-Full-Sling/22367968
  • I also fluctuate between an A and C/D cup through pregnancy and nursing. By far, my favourite bras are the target, soft, sports bra, slide type nursing bra.  I know I'm not alone cause I see them peeking out of lots of other mum's shirts too. One has a distinctive speckled pattern. They are fabulous for sleeping in and everyday use. I also loved the easy access. No fumbling for clips single handledly while holding an anxious baby under a cover out at a restaurant. Just slide and pop that boobie out.

Otherwise, I have a couple nice Motherhood bras for if I need to look spechul. 
  • @diablesse do you have a link you could share? 
    imageimage