Birth Stories

Baby in Four Hours.

So my daughter is almost a year old but Ive been thinking of her birth story a lot lately. Maybe its because she's almost a year already and I cant believe it or that Im gonna be doing it all over again in October. Anyway! Here's my daughter's story.

So first lets go back to 33 weeks, I had been having braxton hicks since about the beginning of the third trimester but these BHs were starting to get more painful and close together, called the hospital and they told me to wait an hour and come in if they intensified. They did, by A LOT, we went in and found out that I was in labour, like actual, baby-is-coming labour. Scary, turns out I had been very dehydrated and that was causing her to come early. But the doctors gave me an iv and some medication to try slow labour down so she wouldnt be born that early. It worked, but just in case she did decide to try for an early arrival, they gave a steriod shot to help her lungs mature faster and put me on bedrest. I was in the hospital for a week before they let me go home.

After that we were on high alert for baby. My doctor gave me an estimate that we'd be back in the hospital within a couple weeks, she didnt think I would make it past 36.

Shockingly, I went two days overdue. At one day over, I thought my water had broke, well leaked a little, but after walking and bouncing on a birth ball, there was no other sign of my water breaking. At two days over, we had a 'just in case' appointment. I told my doctor about how my water may have leaked so she took a swab and sure enough it came back positive for amniotic fluid. So she sent us to the hospital. We checked in, got settled and were told to do some walking to try and get labour started. I didnt even make it off the bed before my water broke. They still told me to walk. I made it halfway down the hallway when the rest of my water broke and I started having MAJOR, out-of-nowhere contractions. Back to the room, onto the bed - baby was coming. At this point I asked for an epidural, I was 6cm, lots of time. They gave me gas to take the edge off. Was not happening. A shot of fentanyl helped a tiny bit but not enough. Decided to get into the small tub in the bathroom. That was better until the contractions started getting to be too much. Out of the tub for a check, wheres the epidural? Already 8cm, too late.

The worst was closing the 8 to 10cm gap and at this point the fentanyl was about useful as an umbrella in a hurricane.

Now it was time to push. This part is a big blur for me, I just remember lots of encouragement and a tiny bit of relief from the pain of contractions. Of course they were still there but not nearly as ridiculously painful. I dont know how long I pushed for but the end result was VERY minimal tearing and a healthy, screaming 9lb 9oz girl.

Getting to the hospital to meeting my baby took just four hours. Im excited to meet the next one and I want to be as med free as possible but Im also nervous that because its my second, I'll be faster and wont make it to the hospital. But we'll see!

Thanks for reading!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby in Four Hours.

• She was and still is. She's about the size of an 18 month old now.  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Fentynal was the only "pain reliever" I had, too. (I was more terrified of getting a needle in my spine than having a baby come out of my vag) I got 4 doses, one hour apart and only the first one did anything to help the pain. I feel your pain, mamma:)

Happy to hear your LO was born full term, happy& healthy :)
  • Loading the player...
  • I had my first baby with a very similar story. Lots of BH very early, then continuing all the way through. 4 days overdue. Leaking until all the sudden my water broke, in the hospital... then born 4 hours later.. 7lb 14 oz (so much smaller). But I am now 39 weeks, I have been worried the whole time that I would go early and not make it to the hospital....  but so far my body is acting exactly the same.. SO heres to leaking at home and then a leisurely drive to the hospital.. :)
  • Congrats! :)
  • My 2nd I only had 3hrs of hard labor & lots of Braxton hicks in the weeks b4 labor. I feared how quickly #3 would go too. I came in 4 induction 40wks 3 days. My water broke on its own & it was 4hrs from that point 2 birth. So you may not go any quicker. Just be proactive & hea
  • Congrats! Thank you for sharing :)
  • Hi, my labor and delivery with my ds was very similar. I had no signs before was ready to come out, he was 6 days late. I started having some slight pain at 3 we arrived at the hospital by 4 (I still wasn't sure this was IT) was admitted and was 5 cm. They gave me an epidural and he was born at 7 weighing 7 lb 9 oz. I'm due with number 2 in july and at my 16 week appointment last week my Dr's mentioned to think about being induced at 39 weeks so I can make it to the hospital in time (we live in ny, lots of traffic) it's somthing to think about because it could be a lot.more relaxed dropping my son to my parents and heading to hospital prepared. Or I could be just barely making it to the hospital which scares me, but the induction meds worry me to. I'd rather go into labor naturally. What would you ladies do?
  • I feel you on the quick birth. I had a lot of braxton hicks too leading up to the birth. The day of my son's birth I knew it was coming since i was bleeding and dilating but I didn't know for sure I was in labor or not. I climbed into bed for the night hoping tomorrow would finally be the day and then my water broke all over the bed!!

Within 15 mins I was having regular contractions and within 30 mins I was having them 2 mins apart and could barely move or talk thru them. We left for the hospital. When they first checked me I was only 3 cm so we all thought it would be awhile. The doc left saying she'd check on me again in a few hours. I tried staying on my feet because that was the most comfortable. I was having seriously painful and overpowering contractions every 90 seconds with no break in between. It felt like the next one would start before the other one had finished tapering off.

I must have dilated super fast from 3cm to 10cm. I remember being on my feet and yelling out about feeling like I need to push and the nurse telling me not to or I might rip my cervix. I couldn't help it, my body was pushing involuntarily. Blood squirted out onto the floor and then the room was in panic mode. I had my baby in my arms less than 15 minutes later! All in all from water breaking to baby in arms was just a little over 3 hours.
  • My birth wasn't as quick as that but for a FTM I feel it was definitely fast. My contractions started on my due date at 9:35pm. I was in denial that I was in labor so I took a couple showers, I was eating snacks, trying to get the pain to go away. I didn't tell my SO that i was having contractions so at 3:30 in the morning he woke up asking if everything was okay. I told him that I thought I was having contractions and that I didn't think I was in real labor quite yet. He made me go to the hospital because my contractions were 30 seconds apart. I was 7 cm dilated when I got to the hospital. I got an epidural around 9 cm my water broke immediately after and had him 1 hour later :)
  • @mama530720 I would rather not get induced. But then again I don't know how bad traffic can get there.  I would aim to head to the hospital as soon as labor started unstead of the recommended 3 (or was it 5) minutes apart contractions.  Have snacks,  books,  ext packed in case  you arrive too early.