May 2016 Moms

How do you get your water intake?

I'm finding it difficult to get my water intake for the day.  I get bored with plain water, but don't really want to invest in tons of flavored water either.  I've looked up some recipes on Pinterest to put fruits and other items in water, but I thought I'd ask here for some well-liked options before diving in :)

Re: How do you get your water intake?

• I'm doing one raspberry seltzer a day to break up the regular water. Try adding fruit to one of those diffuser bottles?
  • I, of course, developed an aversion to water...and to sparkling water (which I craved like MAD at first but now can't even think about). I'm basically aiming for liquids in general. Powerade Zero & Minute Maid light pink lemonade are my go-tos
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Loading the player...
  • We love Mio, it's inexpensive and there are a lot of flavors.
  • I like the sparkling water... I find it settles my stomach, but I try to get my water from other sources as well like juice or even mixing juice with some sparkling water and that breaks it up a little bit. Another thing that helps is when I drink with a straw... I find that way I drink more without even realizing it.
  • mrstmoose said:

We love Mio, it's inexpensive and there are a lot of flavors.

The only problem I'm worried about with Mio (we enjoy it too) is all the added flavoring and coloring in it.
  • @rlworzalla oh, gotcha. I don't put a whole lot in so I don't worry. Just throwing out options! Good luck!
  • I drink prgnancy tea that also helps my nausea. I fill it up a couple of times and that's 30oz. Then I drink seltzer, milk, and sometimes just have to force myself to chug a glass of water.

My biggest problem is forgetting to drink. @kwilson7613 I'm going to look for that app!
  • I take 2 40oz bottles of water to work with each day. I find that if I put fruit in the bottles I'll drink them much faster. I always do some type of citrus. But lately I've been adding strawberries and mint leaves. So yummy! I tried shaved fresh ginger and cucumbers but it didn't sit as well with me.

• I have always drink basically only water so it hasn't been too hard for me. However I do find it has to be ice cold water anything other temperature just tastes so blahh.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• I drink more when I drink through a straw. I got a 32oz straw cup. Occasionally I'll drink watered down tea. Or add crystal light lemonade.

• Sparkling flavored water! I am a religious coffee and soda drinker so this has been hard, especially trying to avoid caffeine in general. But I have been loving my flavored waters. Sometimes too I add a piece of fruit like a strawberry or lemon. Mmmmm
  • Sounds silly but with DS I bought 2 cute water tumbler cup things with a lid and straw. I kept one at work and one at home and it made all the difference, sort of worked as a reminder to keep drinking water whenever I saw it.
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • I'm having a really hard time drinking plain water. I've been drinking Propel and juice along with trying to force down at least a couple cups of normal water. I've found that ice helps with the water for me, too.

With my last pregnancy, I remember my doctor being gracious and saying as long as I was getting plenty of liquid in during first tri (limiting caffeine and sugar) it was ok. She wanted me to get serious about drinking mostly water starting second tri. I'm going with that mentality this time around, too.
  • Tons of water and I have a cup of chamomile tea every day now for some variety.  That's about all I drink.  I can't drink orange juice because of acid reflux, I don't like pops or flavored waters, I don't mind the occasional lemon or cucumber water.  My liquids are dull.  :)
  • I look for things flavored with sucralose rather than aspartame because I think that's better for pregnancy. I try and do every other too. So I'll have a Gatorade or propel or flavored water and then do a regular water (I chug it because I just won't drink it if it's just sitting on my desk), then maybe a watered down juice, then regular water. I feel less bad about my flavored waters if I pepper plain water in.
  • jewels1020jewels1020 member
    edited September 2015
    I was having a hard time just drinking water but I know this is gonna sound crazy and remember I'm no alcoholic but I drink my water while at home out of a wine glass and I'm able to drink more without feeling like I'm forcing myself.. also I put fruit in it
  • Most juices give me terrible heartburn and carbonated/sparkling drinks add to my nausea so I pretty much stick to water even though it's gross. I fainted at 7 weeks because of low blood sugar and dehydration which has actually made it easier to force myself to get my fluids everyday. Anything but go through that again!

I've also been eating a lot (like A LOT) of watermelon - which I find to be the most refreshing thing. I am literally eating 1/4-1/2 of a watermelon every day. It really helps me stay hydrated and I think it helps keep things moving (well, as much as they can be moving) if you know what I mean...

• I slice up a lemon and put a couple of slices in my water bottle. That way it stays flavored throughout the day.
  • I use my camelback water bottle all day and just keep refilling it. It's easy for me to quickly drink it because it has the built-in straw. I know that every time I fill my water bottle up its 600 mL and I can make sure I'm drinking enough.

Also like @LadySamLady said, I was terribly dehydrated during my last pregnancy from being so sick and ended up in the ER. So that's enough motivation for me to choke down water all day!
  • I'm having trouble drinking water (not the norm pre-pregnancy).  I either use the flavor drop things or try mixing juice/water (like, 20/80 ratio).  Or just drink whatever liquid sounds good.  I normally think "No!  Empty calories!" but right now I will take what I can get.

image        image

• I can't drink anything or I throw up. Even popsicles. I've switched to crush ice. I may try watermelon.
  • I was doing pretty good until nausea hit. Even though I've never physically gotten sick, just feel crummy, I've noticed at the end of the day, I'm coming up short on water intake. I think I typically drink a lot with my meals, and I've been eating less, so... Not helping. But I am (mostly) avoiding soda, replacing with seltzer water or other unsweetened fizzy things if I need bubbles.

Also, I realized part of it was less coffee for awhile. I know this sounds crazy, but I have a huge to-go cup of coffee (which is 1/2 weakly brewed coffee because I don't like it strong, and half milk, so not nearly as bad as it sounds) for breakfast since I never have an appetite when I wake up, even when not pregnant. I skewed my proportions even more plus put in a little less grounds to keep caffeine low, and then I get like... 1/3 of my fluid that way. Since the coffee is weak, and milk still counts as mostly liquid, that is helping. Plus, easier to get down in the morning than crackers, so helping nausea I think.

Aside from that, smoothies are lunch half the time due to aversions to food in general, I have a 32 oz water bottle with measurements that I carry to all my therapy clients (though I forget to use it, it's there, and sometimes, as I walk out I remember how thirsty I am) and I count water by glasses while home.
  • mrstmoose said:

@rlworzalla oh, gotcha. I don't put a whole lot in so I don't worry. Just throwing out options! Good luck!

@mrstmoose I still use Mio just wanted natural options too :)
  • I have never been a huge water drinkers, so going the flavored seltzer route. And when eating out, seltzer with a TON of lime is my new go to.

cat fail animated GIF

• I am the worst with this! I just realized I'm at 9 weeks and I don't know the daily recommendations? Is it still the standard 64oz?
  • I can't drink anything or I throw up. Even popsicles. I've switched to crush ice. I may try watermelon.

I would contact your doctor about giving you something to help with the nausea. If you're unable to eat or drink, you need something to help.
  • qtpi145 said:

I am the worst with this! I just realized I'm at 9 weeks and I don't know the daily recommendations? Is it still the standard 64oz?

I think you're supposed to drink your weight in ounces.

• qtpi145 said:

I am the worst with this! I just realized I'm at 9 weeks and I don't know the daily recommendations? Is it still the standard 64oz?

Omg. If that's true I'm way off. Also idk how I plan on drinking that much water.
    :|
  • Kinda TMI BUT another incentive to drink plenty of water is if you're experiencing extreme constipation (as I am), drinking your daily amount of water will knock it out.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• So... I THOUGHT I was doing well, as I posted above. I don't remember where I got my original numbers from (I think the "What to Expect" book) but I was aiming for 8 glasses/cups-- about 64 oz, or two of my giant water bottles. I had my 1st appointment today though. Apparently, I need to drink TWICE that much. Uhhhh... No idea how I can get that much fluid in me. This is going to be interesting.
  • I got a new water bottle that I carry everywhere.  First one broke so I got one that isn't thin plastic and is more so indestructible this time around.
  • I've always been a HUGE water drinker. ...and now!.... I hate it! Forcing myself to chug water and try not to puke it right back up! grrr!!! I juat bought a filter hoping it'd taste....cleaner? Idk.... also i Never liked juice except now. Just doing my best and working it out. :) good luck to you!
  • I freeze pureed fruit in ice cubes and just add them to my water throughout the day!
    Strawberry and mint is yummy !!
  • I've always been one to drink lots of water. I usually have a gallon of water on hand every day at work. I usually go through the gallon in 2 -3 days. At home I usually just drink water with meals.
  • qtpi145 said:

My doctor told me I am suppose to drink half of my weight in oz. For me that's 75oz of water a day
  • For me, I drink as much regular water as I can. Then I use either 100% Apple, cranberry, or grape juice to flavor my water. About 1/4 juice to water ratio. So far I've been staying away from coffee, tea, flavorings, and soda.