2nd Trimester

DH's family hates our name choice

Lucas Alexander

Well, I told them "its not for you to like"

And I did get a bunch of dirty looks. Then I said well I love your name choice babe(insert sarcasm)....

Florencio-yeah right. My MIL was like you b!tch.

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: DH's family hates our name choice

• It's your baby, not their's. So guess what? YOU get to pick the name!!! I like Lucas :)
  • Lucas Alexander is a great name. 

It seems everyone has an opinion on the names.  In one ear, out the other!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I love the name you chose! I hate people's unsolicited opinions...DH and I get a lot of that from his side of the family. It's not like we would change it based on their crappy feedback anyway. Luckily my side of the family has enough decency to tell us they like it (whether or not they actually do)!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it's cute!

And this is exactly why were aren't sharing our name choice with anyone until DD is born.

• I like your, "its not for you to like" response! 

This is why we aren't telling anyone our choice until the baby is born.  Or we will make up funny names like Chastity Belt Lastname!  Smile

*disclaimer - I have nothing against the name Chastity!*

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Leah - 6.28.09

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lorelei - 4.23.11

Books Read:
    2013 - 4
    2012 - 50 2011 - 47 2010 - 57
    2009 - 71 2008 - 108 2007 - 33
  • That is why you shouldn't have told them the name until after the birth....before the baby is born everyone has an opinion. After the baby is here and named, signed sealed delivered, what is done is done and they usually won't say anything about it. I love the name, BTW!

• Its good you stood your ground. I've unfortunately changed my name choice in the past because people have ruined it for me with their opinions. Sounds like a  fun family to deal with though.
  • this is why we're not telling anyone until the baby is born, because

a. it will be too late, the names on the birth certificate so there's no use bitching (people complain thinking you will somehow magicly change your mind)

b. once they take a look at the cute little face, it won't matter nearly as much

• Good for you for telling them that!  I think my DH family doesn't like our name either.  Our name is Sophia Grace.  There is an Aunt Sophia on their side of the family that has nothing to do w/ them or vice versa.  No one likes her and I've only met/seen her twice in the 10 yrs. we've been together.  So, they need to get over it!

BTW, I love you name.  Alexander was one of our boy names.

• And your scenario is the exact reason DH & I will not be sharing our name choices with anyone...we don't care about their opinions and we don't want to have to listen to them like we are actually interested.
  • I see everyone's point. But to DH his family's input is very important. I made it very clear to him that this is our choice, not theirs.

Especially when one of the grandkids name is Damian. I just think of the omen movie- it gives me the creeps. Not that its a bad name-but when I hear it, that is the first thing I think of.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I like your choice.  The name really fits well together.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Lucas is a great name.... My nephew is named Lucas.
  • We're the opposite. FI's family loves our name choice, Dillon. My family and friends hate it. My response? It's OUR baby.

I got some nasty looks too! I personally love Lucas Alexander, I rolls off of the tounge very well.

• Love the name and your response
  • Unless it's something absurd, like Tallulah Does the Hula in Hawai'i, the only polite thing to say about somebody's choice of name for THEIR child is "That's a lovely name."

Or, if you can't bring yourself to say that it's lovely, "That's an interesting name -- what's the story behind it?"

We didn't share our name choices at all before DD was born, and I'm glad we didn't because I would have gotten really snotty if somebody had aired a negative opinion.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I love it. Lucas Alexander, that is, not the Florencio one. Wink
  • Eh, fukc 'em. Everyone has opinions on names, some of them are nice, some of them aren't. All that matters is that 1) you and your DH like it; and 2) it's not some odd name that is going to scar the child for life, lol.

Lucas Alexander is a beautiful name! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think your name choice is great. The next baby your MIL births, she can name what ever she likes.
  • Who cares what they think!!  It's your baby, not theirs!  They had their chance to name kids and they can back off!
  • My grandmother had some very strong opinions about the names we were thinking of. Oh well, it's your baby!
  • You should ask them why they hate it so much. I wanted to name my first baby Caleb and my mother hated it because she had a dog named Caleb as a child. Explain to them that this is your choice. It will probably grow on them over time anyway. I think it is adorable!
  • Florencio?  My dad didn't like our picks before we had DS, but once he saw his Grandson he couldn't have cared less what we named him. 
  • Too bad for them then, huh?

I think it's cute. I can maybe understand if you named your baby something TOTALLY weird, like Nevaeh or something.  :)  Or if you named it entirely out of your ethnicity. Then they might say something but be nice about it. Lucas is neutral. It's a really cute name.

• Lucas will be our son's name too. Boo to them!!!!
  • I totally know the feeling. We're naming our little girl Hunter Rose and we knew we'd get crap for Hunter as a girl. Our immediate family has been really supportive of it but some of our friends have voiced their opinions that a) Hunter is a boy's name and too masculine for a girl, and b) it has a negative "killing" meaning to it. Thanks for your concern, but that's our baby's name and we LOVE it!! :)

NestBaby Pregnancy Ticker
  • I like that name! I'm also tired of people commenting on our name choice. Especially family! We love our names & have had them picked out for YEARS before ever being pregnant! They are different names.. that's why we like them!! I don't want a name that every other kid in class is going to have! I feel your pain!! Just ignore it. He is your baby, and only you two get to decide on the name!
  • I am getting some neg. feedback from my family about our name choices.  DH and I have come up with 3 names for a girl or boy that we both really like.  Everytime I tell the choices to someone they instantly dislike one of the names (not always the same name).  We have decided not to let anyone know what we settle on until after baby is born - I am sick of the neg. feedback.

• I agree- that's not right!  That's why DH and I aren't telling the final names to anyone, just general lists of names that we like.  I couldn't handle someone telling me that they hate our name!  Let them deal with it on their own...
  • good call on the reply, that would have been mine too.   and if it means anything, I LOVE your name choice. 

You could have my mother in law who named her son Howdy and suggested we do a name sake...  Confused

• I agree. The best thing to do is just keep it to yourselves til the baby is born and then let them say what they will. There's always gonna be someone that doesn't like your name choice, so f them! :)

NestBaby Pregnancy Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Well I for one love the name. I'm kind of biased though, my fiancee and I decided if it is a boy we're going to name it Lucas Douglas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"