September 2015 Moms

Devastated at gender

urfcerinurfcerin member
edited April 2015 in September 2015 Moms
We just found out baby #3 is a boy - my third. Of course we're thrilled that it is healthy, that is most important. But I can honestly say that I'm devastated. I didn't realize how much I wanted a girl until I learned I wasn't having one. I love having boys, and I adore my sons, but I'm grieving the girl I'll never have. I feel incredibly selfish saying that since we are blessed to be having another child. Part of me was sure that this was a girl because my symptoms were so different than my first two pregnancies. I know I will feel fine in time, and the health is most important, but I just want to cry. :(

Re: Devastated at gender

• momofsweetpsmomofsweetps member
    edited April 2015
    {{HUGS}} It is like mourning the idea of a daughter you'll never have. btdt when we found out we were expecting our 3rd boy. It will get better but take some time to get over the sadness and it's ok to have those feelings. When I was pregnant with ds#3, I went to the next ultrasound, hoping they were wrong and would tell me it's a girl, but then came a time when I was actually glad he was a boy and hoped they would say boy. It just took some time. Congratulations on your 3rd little guy, 3 boys are fun.
  • I'm so sorry! :( So glad to hear he is healthy and I know you'll get through the grieving stage and be happy about your healthy baby boy but don't beat yourself for being disappointed. It's out of your control. Hugs to you, my dear. I hope this feeling passes quickly for you.
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry for your sad feelings. I too hope the feelings pass soon. I have a very strong relationship with my MIL so just know that you will in time gain three daughters, so you can thank your sons for that.
    I pray to God everyday for the blessing of a baby boy. My husband is an outdoorsman, and my only wish for him is a son to share his time with. Being a tomgirl myself I know how my dad know feels to have his own son through my husband.
    Hope you feel better soon. Xo
  • I can understand grieving the dream of having a daughter. I am a FTM and we are having a boy which we are both really happy and excited about, but I do hope to one day have a little girl as well. I can see where I would be disappointed to let that dream go at some point. This little boy will bring so much love and joy, I know you will love him to pieces and it's great news he is healthy! Congrats on your little man! Who knows what the future holds for you as far as a little girl is concerned!
  • I really appreciate your honesty in this moment. Your last sentence is how you will feel in time. Maybe you will turn into the world's greatest, most fun, most understanding mother in law ever! I have 2 daughters and in 25 years will be hoping and praying they have better luck with the next generation of MILs!

Many hugs and good luck to you!
  • momofsweetpsmomofsweetps member
    edited April 2015
  • Sorry you're feeling this way don't feel bad for it I'm sure there are plenty woman that feel the same but are scared to say because of other people's opinions. I already have three boys and would have been very disappointed if I had another because this is defo last baby for me doesn't mean I wouldn't have got over it and got excited about another boy but would definitely have been really upset I would never get my girl. Congrats on baby boy tho
  • My husband was disappointed our baby is a girl. I don't look at him or love him any less. He got over the feeling literally before we left the doctors office. Everyone is entitled to a first reaction. He grew up with 3 sisters and he wants a son to carry on his name. It doesn't mean that he loves our daughter nor cares for her well being any less than if it was a boy. He's still grateful she's a healthy baby.
  • Don't feel bad I really want our 3rd to be a girl since this one is a boy and I have a 5 year old boy so I'll be sad if it's a boy cause most likely it will be our last my aunt had 3 boys and she never did get her girl so she's always sad about that you carry it thruout your life
  • I can completely relate. This is my fourth pregnancy and my fourth boy. This pregnancy was a surprise and completely unexpected. This pregnancy has also been completely different then my last three, I haven't been sick at all so I was sure it was a girl! I kinda got my hopes up and was completely shocked when we found out this last baby is indeed a boy. I love and adore my boys but I get where you are mourning the little girl you'll never have. I know when I meet this little guy I'll fall in love and I would never want to trade him for a girl but it's still a sense of loss when you consider all the things you won't get to experience without a daughter. With each boy I think I've mourned a little for the girl I'll never have but when it comes down to it I decided I really am cut out to be a boy mom... My boys have brought out a side of myself that I didn't really know was there! I've come to terms with it and I'm now super excited if not a bit exhausted by the thought of four energetic boys wresting throughout the house. Give yourself some time to grieve the loss of you will because it is a real thing!! Sending hugs from one boy mom to another!
  • jenboston22jenboston22 member
    edited April 2015
    I'm so sorry you're getting some negative comments. Like the majority of respondents, I completely understand your feelings. I'm at the beginning of my baby-making journey, but I can honestly say that I'd be somewhat disappointed if I never had a girl. (I'm a FTM, and DH and I plan to have 2 or 3 children.) We all have dreams about what we want (like dressing up a little girl, playing catch with a little boy, etc. -- and yes, before anyone comments negatively, I know girls can play catch, too! It's just an example :) ). These dreams are completely normal. Best wishes to you!
  • I think it's important to do some soul searching about why. Why is having a baby girl different than having a baby boy? Often, I feel it is because of societal norms. In general, society (at least in the US) doesn't say anything if a girl climbs trees, plays sports, and has a fascination for transformers. But a boy who likes art instead of football? A boy who likes barbie dolls over GI Joes? A boy who likes to dress up and make themselves look glamorous?
    *Siggy Warning*

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • It's ok the feel that way, you're human. As long as you don't make your son feel like a disappointment over something he had no control over, its ok.
    My great grandma always wanted boy but got all girls. She named to first two Bill and Butch. Please, pleeese don't punish your kid like that :p
  • str13str13 member
    I understand what you mean. I have two girls and this will be our last. I loved watching my brothers grow up and play football and had so much fun watching them get ready for proms, etc. I was thrilled I was having another girl, but it still smarts knowing I don't get to do that stuff with my own son. And hearing DHs disappointment broke my heart. In that moment I would've done anything to give him the little boy he dreamed of. He's happy now, but I get it.
    As my sister says to DD1, "feel all your feels." :)
  • Actually I had my heart set on another boy and was floored to be having a girl. I was a little sad to let go of my dream of being a mom to two boys and had to change my mindset completely. Of course now I'm excited about what's ahead but I can empathize with everyone's disappointments/changed expectations.
  • Consider the fact that no matter what people have they are going to be "missing out" on something. Those that have one boy and one girl will never know what it's like to raise brothers or sisters (those bonds are special!). Even if you had a girl, that girl won't know what it's like to have a sister. Unless you're having 4+ (and those 4 are 2 boys and 2 girls), we're all missing out on something. Embrace what you DO have.

I'm on #3 (I have 2 boys now, find out sex of #3 tomorrow) as well, and not to belittle your feelings by any means, I would be thrilled with another boy. I grew up with 2 sisters and I thought our bond of all being the same sex was really special. We had each other to talk about "girl" things. I think if I had another boy, my kids would hopefully have that special connection too, but obviously with the opposite sex. That's not to say I would be disappointed if this were a girl - switching it up too would be pretty great as well.

Just think about all the benefits of having 3 boys and how really special that is in and of itself. I think sometimes society has this weird idea what we all have to have at least one boy and one girl to be happy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • J0C0TXJ0C0TX member
    edited April 2015
    @Rhill30 I experienced a miscarriage in October and yes it was devastating. I'm sorry for your loss.
    I don't think the OP was likening her initial disappointment in gender to a loss of a child, but rather the loss of the idea/dream.
    All of us have ideas on what we're expecting, subconsciously or not. And when things don't go as hoped it's ok to feel bad and then, as the OP is doing, pull on the big girl panties and deal.
    The feelings she has are feelings I feared, even though I knew I was blessed to be expecting so quickly after our loss. We have 2 girls. I feared a boy. The unknown, etc. and I worried how I'd react if it was. Well, it is and all I felt was joy that he's healthy, but I knew it(my feelings) could go another way and as such i try to be mindful of other people's feelings on the matter.
  • BoobopgirlBoobopgirl member
    edited April 2015
    I am sorry that I didn't put that in the first comment.  I have friends who have struggled with infertility and loss and I am usually so sensitive to that pain.

But I also know a mom who is devastated that even though she has 4 healthy children, she can't have any more and one who is sad she keeps having girls because her singular little boy REALLY wants a brother.  Those emotions are real too and I don't know that I would feel differently in those situations.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • lola2bee said:

Wow.... Devastated huh?
    Sorry I have no empathy for your disappointment in how your child will pee.
    Devastation is an emotion best reserved for loss moms (like myself), people who are struggling with infertility and have to hear IVF has yet again been unsuccessful and parents who learn their baby will be born with a debilitating disease.
    Congrats on your healthy baby boy.
    I am a multiple loss mom and a multiple IVF mom and still have empathy for her. It's called compassion. Try it out!

I do have compassion... For those I mentioned in my post.